• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 on Switch will require a micro SDcard and an internet download

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKano

EDIT : False alarm, it's just a DL code in a box, and that would line up with the 2K listing that said only the digital version would release at launch.
-----------------------

I guess that explains how a game that is 50GB+ on PS4/One could fit on the Switch.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nba-2k18-early-tip-off-edition-nintendo-switch/5721413.p?skuId=5721413

5721413_sd.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

Note that, despite what 2K said in a listing weeks ago, the game still seems to be coming day and date with the other versions.

Bsigg12

There was a thread on this yesterday. They're releasing a download code to stores if you want it now and the physical version is releasing in a few weeks.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Thems the breaks. I can live with that if I'm gonna whine about there not being enough AAA releases on Switch then turn around and complain about filesizes.

Although... The compression of most of the Switch games so far has been impressive. This game will take up like 20x the space games like Mario + Rabbids, Splatoon 2 and Arms take up. I know there are clear reasons why an NBA game would take up more, but the difference is still staggering to me.

Probably the reason why WWE 2k18 and NBA 2k18 on Switch are download only for the first few month.

Doesn't bother me because for a mobile console digital downloads are better anyway (for a stationary console too, much more convenient). But they simply should compress the game better for the cartridge. I can not think of a reason why such games must be 50+ GB especially when there are so many great lossless compression algorithms.

[EDIT] Oh this is simply a package with a download code? So a real physical version will come later and requires no download?

Ridley327

I wonder how big the final game will be if it requires an SD card. I'm guessing you'll need at least 64GB if the on-board storage is insufficient.

Zedark

I wonder how big the final game will be if it requires an SD card. I'm guessing you'll need at least 64GB if the on-board storage is insufficient.
The Switch has 25-40 GB of free storage, why do you expect it go be 64 GB or more exactly?

As someone who owns a gaming pc, PS4 Pro and an Xbox One S, I am really excited for the Switch version lol.

Although the lack of info is concerning.

Is it possible they just say microSD card required to cover their backs as most people will have used some space but actually it could fit into an empty switch?

Zedark

Is it possible they just say microSD card required to cover their backs as most people will have used some space but actually it could fit into an empty switch?
Well, if that were a genuine concern then they'd have to print it onto other versions as well since those systems could also run out of space. The explanation given above that it is a packaged download code for the time the cartridge version isn't available seems like available better explanation to me.

Ridley327

Sheesh the game is huge for Switch.
Will this be the current size champion?
Right now, it's DQH1&2, which is a full 32GB download on the eShop, thus requiring a 64GB SD card to be inserted. They did manage to squeeze it onto a 32GB card for the retail release, but it is thus far the only Switch game that's released on anything bigger than a 16GB card.

Well, if that were a genuine concern then they'd have to print it onto other versions as well since those systems could also run out of space. The explanation given above that it is a packaged download code for the time the cartridge version isn't available seems like available better explanation to me.

Other sysyems dont have games that could virtually fill all system storage by themselves

Cartho

I'm very excited for this as I love NBA 2k but I'm also slightly concerned we've not really seen or heard anything about it. Nothing about the modes available, frame rate, resolution or anything.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Right now, it's DQH1&2, which is a full 32GB download on the eShop, thus requiring a 64GB SD card to be inserted. They did manage to squeeze it onto a 32GB card for the retail release, but it is thus far the only Switch game that's released on anything bigger than a 16GB card.

Interesting. I wonder how the retail release will be handled then depending on the size.

Ridley327

Interesting. I wonder how the retail release will be handled then depending on the size.

I imagine that's the big reason why the retail release has been delayed, since the current max size for game cards is 32GB, and if the ultimate file size is in the neighborhood of what it is on PS4/XB1, even that wouldn't be enough. I'm guessing that the retail copy will have a mandatory content download to finish it off, which puts us right back at the debate we almost had with LEGO City Undercover.

I imagine that's the big reason why the retail release has been delayed, since the current max size for game cards is 32GB, and if the ultimate file size is in the neighborhood of what it is on PS4/XB1, even that wouldn't be enough. I'm guessing that the retail copy will have a mandatory content download to finish it off, which puts us right back at the debate we almost had with LEGO City Undercover.

If its 50gig-ish on 4/bone it'd surely compress down into a 32gb cart?

This is only going to get worst if more big titles coming to the Switch. Why the hell does it not have external HD support when docked?

Ridley327

If its 50gig-ish on 4/bone it'd surely compress down into a 32gb cart?

In theory, sure, but the more you compress, the more you run into possible technical issues, particularly in the load time department. Short of making a 64GB card available, which I can't imagine is remotely cost-effective at this time for even Nintendo, I'm not sure how many viable options they have that wouldn't impact the game's quality.

This is only going to get worst if more big titles coming to the Switch. Why the hell does it not have external HD support when docked?

There's no solution for what happens when you take it out of the dock in that setup. I think that it'll be a long time before we see a docked-only title.

Doesn't the Switch have a patch file size limit? With only 32GB of space it needs to have some sort of limit per title like the 360 did.

You can't just replace gigabytes of data the way you can on XBO and PS4 or PC. So the day 1 patch that will finish the game wouldn't be ready when the cartridge ships if it were to release on day 1.

So they release the game with the day 1 patch as a digital download. Then once they're certain there are no more major issues to fix, they burn the patched version of the game to cartridges and send them to manufacture.

That saves them probably the biggest hit to patch size and they'll still have whatever the normal size is in reserve for future updates.

That's the only thing that would make sense to me.

WatTsu

Huh, okay. Weird half-step but at least you can get the 20% discount at launch (and the $10 back at Best Buy).

Still not sure about this. Hoping gameplay reactions from this weekend are positive, and that we learn what that weird bit about Amiibo support entails.

Mortemis

Banned
So there's no physical release day one and we gotta wait a while?

And the prelude isn't even coming to the switch is it? Man, I'm only really interested this year because of the portable switch version, but this sucks.

ozfunghi

I just bought two microSD cards on Aliexpress sales: 128GB + 64GB (U1 read 90 write 40 MBs) for €47 total. I'm good for a while.

Still no Switch specific media (other than the initial reveal) 2 weeks out?

I know they have their way of doing content reveals, but as a game announced along with the system it's definitely odd they wouldn't be trying to promote the title a little more like EA.

I don't expect this to be a bad port, but it would be pretty funny if this ended up switching places with Fifa as the low effort port considering initial expectations. When I bought my Switch, a dad buying for his son ahead of me mentioned how excited his son was for 2K over all else. I don't have a ton of interest in this other than as a competent multiplatform title (assuming that's what it ends up being), but hopefully they built a good version for that kid and others like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom