• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Expert Mode: Why Mario Made Him Cry

jorgejjvr

Episode 2: How Rocket League Beat the Odds

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1430093

Episode 1

Mobile:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155139207096633&id=59685491632

Regular video:

https://www.facebook.com/ignexpertmode/videos/788300574676267/

I found this to be really amazing and interesting to watch. Very heartfelt.

Very excited for these Expert Mode series.

It's perfect that it started with Mario + Rabbids

Now on YouTube

Why Mario made him Cry
https://youtu.be/_NP6dXEL2xY

It's so refreshing to see the heart and soul behind games. Ubi's press conference at E3 had a lot of heart. Mario + Rabbids is also an incredible game, so glad the partnership turned out well.

Svafnir

Great video, I'm really glad Mario + Rabbids turned out being good after all the original negativity over the concept.

sleepnaught

Glad he and his team were able to prove all the negative reactions from the leaks wrong. The game is beautiful and a ton of fun, so hats off to Davide and the team. Looking foward to a sequel :)

theaface

Really enjoyed this short interview. Mario + Rabbids is clearly a labour of love for him and his team, and it's fantastic to see their hard work rewarded. On paper it's a game that just shouldn't work, but the end result is an absolute joy.

Props to Nintendo for understanding the team's vision for this game and letting it happen, and huge credit to the team for what they made.

Nbz

Man Facebook's video player is sooooo bad. Hard to watch this all pixelated

EDIT: Oh seems like the OP link was mobile, so that's why it was playing like shit on my laptop

Mr_Moogle

You also should get the game because it's really good. It's a blast to play.

Yeah my best mate bought it for me as a birthday present. It's a lot of fun. Also surprisingly pretty. My favourite thing so far is the soundtrack though. So many great orchestral versions of classic Mario songs. I haven't enjoyed a Mario soundtrack this much since Galaxy.

Wamb0wneD

Yeah my best mate bought it for me as a birthday present. It's a lot of fun. Also surprisingly pretty. My favourite thing so far is the soundtrack though. So many great orchestral versions of classic Mario songs. I haven't enjoyed a Mario soundtrack this much since Galaxy.

Glad you got it, your best mate seems to be a nice guy with good taste. :D
Yeah the soundtrack is amazing. Grant Kirkhope doing work.

Thanks for watching, friends. I'm really proud of this one and I really, really want to make more of them. I have such a tremendous amount of respect for Davide now and I love Mario + Rabbids even more, if that's even possible. Thanks for the kind words!

stilgar

Thanks for watching, friends. I'm really proud of this one and I really, really want to make more of them. I have such a tremendous amount of respect for Davide now and I love Mario + Rabbids even more, if that's even possible. Thanks for the kind words!

Empathic and pro = very good itv. Congrats, man.

Wamb0wneD

Oooh Brian Altano got a Gaf account!
It was well made and the editing in particular was really nice. The facebook player was garbage but that's not on you i guess. Keep on the good work!

Great interview and awesome insight into a developer's mind for a game not many (myself included) believed would actually work as a concept. But here we are, Mario+Rabbids has absolutely blown me out of the water and it's been a game that's had me hooked (plus it has sublime soundings from Grant Kirkhope!) Great job on the professional and natural flow of the interview, Brian. Looking forward to more from Expert Mode!

No problem! I loved the video and I'll definitely watch more of these when they come out. Incredible job with this.

Now, I feel the need to play more Mario + Rabbids.

Neiteio

Loved this part:

Davide Soliani: "How cool it could be if the Rabbids can learn throughout the game to become heroes, and Mario can learn from the Rabbids how to crack a joke."

Brian Altano: "So you have sort of this buddy cop story between a plumber and an insane, psychotic rabbit, and in the end they learn from each other?"

Soliani: "Yes."

Altano: "That's brilliant."

Neiteio

I'm not a regular viewer (mainly watch GameXplain), but I've been impressed by all of your work I've seen. I'd love to see more human interest stories like this full of positivity and passion. Take your time finding them — they're worth it in the end because they're inspiring and remind us there are good things in this world. :)

Linkura

Fantastic interview. Thank you!!!

bumpkin

Fantastic watch and a great interview. I'm not going to lie, seeing Davide get emotional at the presser made me a little emotional. I could imagine how I'd feel in his shoes, getting to collaborate with someone as influential to video games I love as Miyamoto is. Though I know it's not exactly the same situation, I still kick myself for not getting to meet him (Miyamoto) at E3 the year I had an in with Nintendo PR. I was 15 or so feet away from him at their press conference that year, and I won't lie, I got a little teary eyed when he came out onto the stage.

I'll definitely be liking/subscribing to Expert Mode and watching for more vignettes in the future!

Neiteio

Really good stuff. And honestly, fuck leaks.
I think the leaks actually worked to this game's benefit. It set people's expectations low and gave them time to acclimate to the idea of this crossover, so that when the high-quality final product was shown at E3, it blew minds AND people were ready for this odd pairing.

Genuinely nice and sensitive video. Good to get a brief look at Davide and his passion, going to be very interested to see more like this. I feel bad for my initial reaction to the reveal seeing what it is now, and can award a developer no higher credit than subverting expectations to such a degree as he/they have.

Top Bottom