• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you even consider the hygiene condition of characters in any game?

Whenever you're playing a game and your character has been out fighting and adventuring for days do you ever wonder how gross they must feel in terms of being clean?

I always liked to think that whenever you visit an INN in any rpg or whatever that you character freshens up for the next day.
Sometimes I would go to an INN just to mentally remove any thought of my character being funky.

This was something I would've normally never even considered until I went camping many moons ago.
I didn't get to bathe for nearly 3 days. I felt absolutely horrific and outright disgusting.
Never wanted to go camping ever again. EVER! Unless I could shower.
Not being able to bathe once a day (or more) is torture to me.

Jokingly, it does explain why our heroes get attacked often.
If I was an animal or a monster I'd attack you as well if I had to unwillingly smell your stank swamp booty from a mile away.

Beartruck

I'm betting it is quite difficult for Lulu to wash her all-belt outfit...

You should go camping again OP, it's great.

Freeman76

No but I did once wonder what some of the Dark Souls creatures would smell like. I didn't follow that thought for long though...........

13ruce

Banned
Link must have nightmares cleaning all his gear up. Inklings can't use water tho so i guess they clean emselfs with ink?

I wonder how Solid Snake does all his hygiene lol while on his mission.

kiaaa

I suspend my disbelief just like I do for most movies. Besides, showers/bathing are usually used for some kind of change in a character anyways.

Alx

Playing Assassin's Creed Unity, I did my best to avoid swimming across the river, since I assumed it wasn't a very healthy thing to do. It didn't bother me in other episodes though. :p

They go when you're not controlling them.

I guess that's what loading times are for.

Browny

Banned
I used the toilets in Duke Nukem on a regular basis, lest my running speed slow down. Washed my hands too.

players wandering around in raw sewage in survival horror action games. corpses everywhere, blood on the walls etc. Biohazard much? Also Tomb Raiders.

Yohane

5VicYnB.jpg

Main thing that really boggles my mind is how the fuck do they survive with feet getting wet. Did military training service a few months ago, and one of the war games ops required me to traverse swamps almost exclusively for 72h. My feet were wet almost all the time and I could barely walk in the end, feet being blistered and all. And that's with changing socks regularly. Ofc the boots sucked a bit but considering what the peeps in video games wear, jeez.

nOoblet16

Wasn't there a mission in Binary Domain where you hold off against waves of enemies in front of the toilet while you wait on your squad mate to finish his business ?

Jawmuncher

I don't do anything about it but it is in the back of my mind. Like when Lara hoes through that pool of blood. I'm just like "She needs a bath asap". I have sometimes ran characters to waterfalls or pools to "wash off" so I guess that's something.

MUnited83

For you.
Lara Croft would never be able to stealth her way through the last two games, the smell would give her away easily.

LiK

Uncharted games come to mind. They keep sliding around in mud and dirt or falling into water in hot and humid places. I'm just thinking about that whenever I played.

Chessr

I Remember reading in pc Player About a smellcard for pci ports. Should enable you to smell the grass in fifa and Lara croft. 2 examples back then. Talk About next level :p

tsab

Ryo Hazuki wears and sleeps with the same clothes.
The grossest thing is his bandaid though. I want a QTE that change his bandaid every day in Shenmue 3

Richie

In Sunshine it was fun keeping Mario covered in paint :) as was him cleaning himself via the tornado move.

Fuchsdh

I can't believe anyone feels surprised by a zombie attack, the smell must be horribly telling.

Yeah I guess a lot of people aren't around anything dead bigger than a mouse or something, but you can smell large rotting animals and corpses from a long way off. Multiply that by a zombie horde and the putrefaction would be pretty hard to miss.

I appreciated that in the Halo: Combat Evolved novelization they had moments where Master Chief was resting and out of his armor. Otherwise, yeah, spending days or weeks in there must reek.

I like to think a quick wash or poop takes place during loading screens.

Maybe that's why, after doing enough Shrines to get Hearts to get the Master Sword, I'm struggling to finish BOTW.

Van Bur3n

Funnily enough, I was just thinking this last night while traversing through the Forbidden Woods in Bloodborne. Covered in blood and trudging through fecal water. Getting cosmic gunk all over you. Hunters must smell like shit.

Man this thread is getting weird with this smelly lara talk...everyone in the witcher, geralt included, probably smells and all those villages likely smell like a mix of human and animal shit

Final Fantasy heroes... it ain't hairspray and gel that keeps those things looking so stiff and in place. It's all natural sweat and oily scalp crud.

Zubz

Banned
I think about this more than I should. Most game characters should at least be covered in a solid layer of sweat & smell disgusting from running so much.

Of all games, The Crew is actually one that makes a reference to this. During one of the cutscenes, the main character says something along the lines of "...and I'm gonna need a shower, I've been in this car for like a week"

Nheco

Usually this doesn't happen with games, but it happens a lot with movies or tv shows. Recently I was watching "The Mist" on Netflix
specially when two characters had sex, despite being running away from the mist from days, I was "how the fuck you kiss someone who doesn't take a shower or brush their teeth for almost a week, ffs"

Polk

I like when in Deadly Premonition your protagonist if you didn't change clothes you could see flies around you. You could grow beard as well.

Top Bottom