• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of Europe to distribute Switch exclusive title "Schlag den Star" (29/09/17)

Shiggy

Just received the press release from Nintendo. The game is based on a very popular German TV show which has received multiple video games over the years.

nsw_schlag-den-star_la9s7v.jpg

Release: September 29
Developer: Lost the Game Studios
Publisher: bitComposer Interactive
Distributor: Nintendo of Europe
Exclusively available on Nintendo Switch, only in Germany, Austria and Switzerland

Trailer

- Elton will star as the host of the game, just as in the TV show
- 4-player multiplayer (1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2), also with CPU
- 2 new modes: one with 7 minigames and one with 3 minigames, the original mode with 15 minigames is still there
- In total there are 25 different games, including quizzes with more than 8000 questions
- Includes quiz games such as „Blamieren oder Kassieren”, „Quiz”, „Stimmt´s?” (true or false quiz) und „Wo liegt was?” (determine location of a city or sight on a map)
- Also includes action mini games that depend on the joy-con motion controls
- Includes a character creator
- built in Unity 3D

Screenshots:

It's quite surprising that Nintendo will be involved this time. If I recall correctly, the last time Nintendo of Europe decided to get involved with a third party release just for a few selected markets was "Quiz Party" on Wii. Since Schlag den Star is a show for the entire family, and Nintendo in Germany is marketing their systems heavily towards families and casual gamers, this involvement does make sense.

Ridley327

Will it be localized or only german ?

It does seem like that, going by the synopsis. A little weird to see any Nintendo branch publish a game in such a specific area of a region these days, but this seems like it's unavoidable due to the show being a German one.

*Takes one look*

Yeah, that definitely does look like a par-usual German-made Eurojank there. And strangely fitting into the old "Unity Game" stereotype that I'd thought was fully on its way out by now.

...And why are the button-prompts colorized like Xbox buttons?

Mr-Joker

Banned
It's quite surprising that Nintendo will be involved this time. If I recall correctly, the last time Nintendo of Europe decided to get involved with a third party release just for a few selected markets was "Quiz Party" on Wii.

That still pisses me off as they wasted money in publishing a shovel ware game rather than localizing the Kirby Dream Collection.

mclem

...is that meant to be Elton?

Looks horrible, will sell well during the holidays I guess.

Beat the Star in the UK, don't think it was a success though.
Two series, but yeah, never really caught on.

There's a bunch of game show enthusiasts (including multiple GAFfers, IIRC) who sometimes participate in watchalongs with a few English commentators, it's pretty good fun... not least because the adbreaks tend to devolve into the commentators doing other stuff!

Burny

And here I was, wondering (happily) where licensed thrash games had gone, purely made for a quick cash grab from uninformed people wandering through Media Markt, seeing a familiar name on the cover of a box...

I'd rather have NoG localize the Jackbox Party Packs when I think about it. They would be perfect for families but not everyone is fluent enough in English to really be comfortable with some of the games.

cyba89

Isn't this show cancelled? Thought it got replaced by "Schlag den Henssler".

PS:
Schlag den Raab was such a great show. I miss it. :(

Hegarol

Isn't this show cancelled? Thought it got replaced by "Schlag den Henssler".

PS:
Schlag den Raab was such a great show. I miss it. :(
Not canceled per se. It was renamed to Schlag den Star after Raab left and now Henssler is joining and the name will be changed to Schlag den Henssler. The concept of the show stays the same.

On topic: I love the show, but the game looks ugly. Not sure I will buy it.
Interesting that Nintendo itself is involved though.

Shiggy

Not canceled per se. It was renamed to Schlag den Star after Raab left and now Henssler is joining and the name will be changed to Schlag den Henssler. The concept of the show stays the same.

On topic: I love the show, but the game looks ugly. Not sure I will buy it.
Interesting that Nintendo itself is involved though.

Schlag den Star already existed while Schlag den Raab was still alive. But I believe the concept changed over time. Initially it was normal guy vs celebrity, later on it was celebrity vs celebrity.

After Schlag den Raab ended, Schlag den Star had live broadcasts during primetime.

With Schlag den Henssler they said that they don't intend to produce new episodes of Schlag den Star for now.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Seems a bit soon to me...doubt the audience interested in this game will own the Switch before late 2018/2019.

Interesting. Lost the Game Studios is a very small indie team from Hamburg with no big track record so far. I'm actually surprised that they managed to do a product like this.
Should be relatively successful in the long term, it's not a day 1 seller. At least as long as there are still hardware shortages.

sphinx

the piano man
Seems a bit soon to me...doubt the audience interested in this game will own the Switch before late 2018/2019.

perhaps but if there's one thing the Switch is lacking is software presence at retail and stuff like this helps a lot in that regard.

Switch is no longer sold out but it's selling well in Germany and yet, just by looking at the shelves you'd think it's doing worse than WiiU

there's probably around 6 games to choose from..... that's fucking laughable for a console that's supposed to be a success

Interesting. Lost the Game Studios is a very small indie team from Hamburg with no big track record so far. I'm actually surprised that they managed to do a product like this.
Should be relatively successful in the long term, it's not a day 1 seller. At least as long as there are still hardware shortages.

I know some of the devs. They were pretty stoked to get the opportunity to do this project, although they only had about 6 months to do it.

Clessidor

Oh god, the visuals of this game. But it reminds me of these strange Raab-Event-Wii games, which I think, had a similar visual style. And well, good for Switch to diversify their lineup here in Germany with a well known name.

This will sell, trust me. In German stores it will be next to Destiny and Call of Duty.

I want a Bake Off game.
I know, unfortunately :). I recently tried to play the Jackbox games with my fianceees family and sadly it wasn't feasible. I'd pay good Euro for a localisation.

Shiggy

So the game is out today, and tomorrow Schlag den Henssler will have its first show on TV. Let's see if it will be advertised during the show.

Oersted

So the game is out today, and tomorrow Schlag den Henssler will have its first show on TV. Let's see if it will be advertised during the show.

If last shows are anything to go by, before every commercial break.

And there are alot of commercial breaks.

Alot.

Oh god, the visuals of this game. But it reminds me of these strange Raab-Event-Wii games, which I think, had a similar visual style. And well, good for Switch to diversify their lineup here in Germany with a well known name.

Also PS3. And yeah, hideous across the board.

Top Bottom