• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breakup Season is upon us

K' Dash

The next few months starting with Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year and Saint Valentines is generally where breakup count goes up. This has been true for me, the last few relationships I had I ended them on the last third of the year, so any relationships not doing so good right now will probably end in the next weeks.

I wanted us to share our experiences, if any, of ending relationships around holidays or birthdays, actually if anyone is going through a hard breakup I encourage you to post and try to let go some steam.

Me first:

Three years ago my then GF and I were going to a rough patch, she recently was going out a lot with some friends who just like to party all days of the week, the kind of friends who told her all the time to dump me and live life and not to be tied to someone, I knew this because she always told me everything, we had a very healthy relationship or so I though so far.

So, months go by and around christmas she tells me she's planning a trip to the beach with her friends, I tell her my schedule is pretty busy at work but I could make some space for a long weekend at the beach with her. Thats when she tells me that is a girl only trip,

Long story short, a few days later she comes to my house for christmas eve and she was a completely different person, I confront her and ask her if she cheated on me at the beach and she told me she would never do that to me, but she needed to think about our relationship.

I didn't sleep that night, I thought long and hard and decided to end it on christmas morning, she woke up, had breakfast and then I talked to her ended it, called a cab and never saw or talked to her again.

You see, she was a terrible liar and I knew something happened at the beach, maybe she fucked another guy, maybe she felt she liked someone else so I decided to just end it right there and there before going though potential weeks of drama.

I hope writing about your experiences, recent or not can help you get some pain out of your chest, if you have any.

Cheers GAF.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
cant breakup when you are eternally alone

Broke up in March to make sure I wouldn't get caught out by the breakup months. Smart thinking or what eh

I'm still nowhere near over it

VegiHam

What? Mate it's single people pair off with whoever is available cus winter is coming and it's cold out and I just want someone to Netflix with season. You got it backwards.

K' Dash

Broke up in March to make sure I wouldn't get caught out by the breakup months. Smart thinking or what eh

I'm still nowhere near over it

Don't worry about it buddy, could be worse, I ended it with my Fiancee a month ago and we bought a house last January, the next few months should be fun.

entremet

Did I think it was after the New Year?

At least if you're in a mediocre relationship, you can have a warm body during the holidays lol.

SpecX

Wife and I are going through a divorce. Doesn't make sense to me because she says she loves me, I'm the best person she's ever met and she's eternally grateful for all I've done, yet she doesn't want me.

Went to a couples session and she was willing to go only to say she wants out, so now I'm working on filing the divorce. She says She needs to grow up, yet she struggles to pay her portion of the finances we agreed to split and She has maxed out 2 new credit cards She applied for.

She says she doesn't want 50%, she only wants her car paid off so she can remove that burden from herself and make life easier for her. How can a person be so selfish and tear apart a family, yet not really know what they are seeking in life?

Broke up with my gf of 4 years a few weeks ago. It was a mutual break up, but I still love and miss the hell out of her. It's probably not true, but I feel like I'll never meet another girl.

entremet

Broke up with my gf of 4 years a few weeks ago. It was a mutual break up, but I still love and miss the hell out of her. It's probably not true, but I feel like I'll never meet another girl.

You dated her for 4 years and it's only been a few weeks. Your feelings are not out of the ordinary. Give it time.

I think it's breakup season for new graduates, especially if the partnes are going to different colleges/unis/jobs.

Not that I have experience with doing that.

Take me back, Allison!

K' Dash

Wife and I are going through a divorce. Doesn't make sense to me because she says she loves me, I'm the best person she's ever met and she's eternally grateful for all I've done, yet she doesn't want me.

Went to a couples session and she was willing to go only to say she wants out, so now I'm working on filing the divorce. She says She needs to grow up, yet she struggles to pay her portion of the finances we agreed to split and She has maxed out 2 new credit cards She applied for.

She says she doesn't want 50%, she only wants her car paid off so she can remove that burden from herself and make life easier for her. How can a person be so selfish and tear apart a family, yet not really know what they are seeking in life?

Damn, this is tough, and you still want to save your marriage even after everything she said?

Grenchel

I just got out of the relationship that was the same length about five months ago. It's still a little hard, but it's natural. Just focus on yourself, and eventually, you will meet someone else. (but don't worry about relationships right now)

jwk94

Sounds like she's doing you a favor, man.

Agentnibs

3/3 of my serious relationships ended in January. Here's to hoping my current one doesn't end that way too.

January a bad month for me it seems

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Good job on breaking up the way you did op. I mean it's unfortunate, but I think it took balls to do what you did.

My ex broke up near New Years. I think she probably made it her resolution. There probably is never a good time to break up, but at least don't choose major dates that will serve as reminders.

I think people tend to rethink about who they spend the special dates with so you get some break ups near times like Xmas and such.

SpecX

Damn, this is tough, and you still want to save your marriage even after everything she said?

We've been together for 10 years, it's hard to say fuck it and move on. I want at least us to try and she won't give me that. I think that's the least she could do with kids involved. If it we didn't have kids then I would easily walk away with no remorse. I just dont get how she can't see that and it's what pisses me off the most.

The therapist says she's a child and I must treat her that way. I'm struggling with that the most, but I'm trying to get there.

She has maxed out 2 new credit cards She applied for.

She says she doesn't want 50%, she only wants her car paid off so she can remove that burden from herself and make life easier for her

Get a lawyer now. When my parents got divorced my mom opened a couple cards and maxed them all out and my dad was ordered by the court to pay for them. She also said she didn't want to worry about the money and do it fairly so my dad never got a lawyer and he got taken for everything. I love both my parents, but my mom screwed him and my dad said the biggest mistake was thinking he didn't need a lawyer

SpecX

Get a lawyer now. When my parents got divorced my mom opened a couple cards and maxed them all out and my dad was ordered by the court to pay for them. She also said she didn't want to worry about the money and do it fairly so my dad never got a lawyer and he got taken for everything. I love both my parents, but my mom screwed him and my dad said the biggest mistake was thinking he didn't need a lawyer
Im thinking about seeing one to talk about the situation. I want to get this "agreement" in writing through mediation so we dont have to let a judge decide how we do things.

What? Mate it's single people pair off with whoever is available cus winter is coming and it's cold out and I just want someone to Netflix with season. You got it backwards.

This is also true.

If there's any time of the year that I randomly get laid completely out of nowhere it's Thanksgiving. Happened multiple years in a row before I got into my last long term relationship, and happened last Thanksgiving a handful of months after the aforementioned relationship ended. Every time was the night before TG. The explanation I got from my female friends was that basically it's cold, rainy, lonely, and miserable, and if you find another single person to get out of the house away from your family with, sex is the cherry on top.

I just put the metaphorical sticks on top of the burning kindling of a relationship that just started though so hopefully it doesn't end this early on.

I will definitely say though that I've had my fair share of breakups during holiday times, though usually in Q1 as opposed to Q4.

abrack08

Last year, my gf of nearly 8 years broke up with me on my birthday for a girl she met in her Call of Duty clan. Was in April though, not during this supposed Break Up Season.

My ex-wife told me she found someone else almost exactly a year ago.
She moved out around the beginning of December, and the divorce was finalized this January.

Happiest couple of months of my life.
I should throw an anniversary party.

afroguy10

Hmm, I didn't realise this was a key time for breakups. Gonna end up going through this shortly, just trying to put a bit of distance between her birthday and when I end it. It's a shame because she's a lovely girl and we've been dating for around 1 year 8/9 months now but it's just not happening anymore, I still care but not in that way.

Animator

I broke up two days ago. Reason being we do nothing but have sex when we are together. I am like "girl...it's summer"

Onto the next one!

K' Dash

My last two breakups were always when they returned from a vacation. Gives them time to think.

My example from the OP was not exactly a vacation, it was a couple days off but girls trips like that can certainly give them a perspective on "what they're missing" specially if their friends live a life of one night stands and eternal party.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I broke up two days ago. Reason being we do nothing but have sex when we are together. I am like "girl...it's summer"

Onto the next one!

This is a pretty healthy attitude to have, but damn if it doesn't perpetuate the notion of habitual dating taking over where people hop from one person to another like a job fair.

Very interesting to see such a social dynamic unfold at such speed with the advent of social media and online dating apps.

Top Bottom