• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8th Gen launches... were pretty bad.

bman94

8th Gen has really brought us some great tittles through the years: Uncharted 4, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Gears of War 4, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Splatoon, Forza Horizon 3...but man... the launches were really really bad:

Playstation 4 Launch Titles:
Angry Birds Star Wars
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts
FIFA 14
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
Just Dance 2014
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
LEGO: Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14
NBA Live 14
Need for Speed: Rivals
Skylanders Swap Force

Xbox One Launch Titles:
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Crimson Dragon
Dead Rising 3
FIFA 14
Fighter Within
Forza Motorsport 5
Just Dance 2014
Killer Instinct
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14
NBA Live 14
Need for Speed: Rivals
Powerstar Golf
Ryse: Son of Rome
Skylanders: Swap Force
Xbox Fitness
Zoo Tycoon
Zumba Fitness: World Party

One the PS4 and Xbox One Side we gotta a ton of previously released games that could be found on other platforms: Skylanders, Need for Speed, Lego Marvel Super Heroes, Just Dance, Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed IV.
A ton of sports titles: NBA 2K14, NBA Live 14, Fifa 14, Madden 25.
A ton of forgettable and or outright bad titles like: Angry Birds Star Wars, Powerstar Golf, Zoo Tycoon, Zumba Fitness: World Party, Crimson Dragon, Fighter Within, Knack.
Then you're left with only a few decent exclusives: Ryse: Son of Rome, Forza Motorsport 5 (which was pretty barebones), Killer Instinct (which was pretty shoddy for the first season), Dead Rising 3 & Killzone: Shadow Fall.

Wii U Launch was barely any better:
Assassin’s Creed III
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Darksiders II
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
ESPN Sports Connection
Game Party Champions Wiki
Just Dance 4
Madden NFL 13
Review EA
Mass Effect 3
NBA 2K13
New Super Mario Bros. U
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Nintendo Land
Rabbids Land
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Sing Party
Skylanders Giants
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
Transformers Prime
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
Warriors Orochi 3
Wipeout: The Game 3
ZombiU

A massive amount of old ports, very little exclusive titles and out of that, very little to no (depending on your game preferences) "must have" games. There's a lot of forgettable games in this launch as well.

This Gen was a really slow burn at the beginning, with Wii U not really getting some quality stuff until 2014 and Xbox One/PS4 arguably not until 2015.

And just the overall feel at the beginning of this gen felt...lack luster. Wii U just kind of showed up and the PS4 and Xbox One didn't seem to garner interest the same way the PS3 and Xbox 360 did.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Well when you lay it out like that...

None of the consoles started well.

I'd say Wii U took off in 2013 though, not 2014.

PS4 took off in late 2015 and during 2016 for me.

I'd say the stand out is Nintendo Land in that it's not only great, but can never be ported to another system. That's extremely rare.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yeah I got jealous of friends who got launch machines, but when I stood back and considered the actual launch line up....

At least the launch hardware is much more reliable this generation.

Ps2 was pretty good too with SSX, ridge racer 5 and madden 2001.

PS2 with a good launch?!

I guess it takes all kinds. Didn't even have the best version of Dead or Alive 2 though.

Dreamcast launch is GOAT

But yes recent hardware launches have been terrible either for lack of games or hardware related issues.

Nairume

Banned
7th gen honestly felt the same, barring the Wii launching with a solid Zelda and a game that transformed the industry.

Good thing 9th gen got off to a better start with one of the GOATs compensating for an otherwise short launch list.

Feels like for every console it took around 2-3 years to really get good. PS4 started hitting its stride within the last 12 months. Wii U's best year was 2014 when it launched in 2012.
I'd argue 3DS had a pretty terrible launch until 3D Land.
I don't remember the Vita's launch too well. I bought one 6 months in, though I remember people praising the launch line up.

I'm not sure what you'd consider Switch since the timing is weird and it's like the new handheld generation but also the console? Switch has been one of the best in about a decade or so. At least for my tastes.

Wii U actually had an okay launch lineup.

I got Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, Assassin's Creed III, Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition and Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed.

Also I think the week after (maybe two weeks?) the Wii U launched there was a B2G1 sale at Target just like the Switch except while Switch software was exempt the Wii U ones weren't so I got AC III, Zombie U and Tekken for 33% off and I got NSMBU for and Sonic Racing Transformed for 20% off Newegg with a preorder deal.

Some Nobody

7th gen honestly felt the same, barring the Wii launching with a solid Zelda and a game that transformed the industry.

Good thing 9th gen got off to a better start with one of the GOATs compensating for an otherwise short launch list.

I refuse to call Switch 9th gen. They botched up the Wii U so they get to start the next gen? Nah.

But yeah, the PS4 launch sucked so bad, I had one pre-ordered and let it go back b/c nothing out appealed to me.

ChouGoku

Yeah for about the 1st year of having my ps4 I still played my PS3 primarily, now its really hard to go back. I feel it will be the same with PSVR

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Those launches actually aren't bad. Lots of quality stuff in there. Stuff also available on the previous gen consoles, but quality nevertheless.

AniHawk

Dreamcast launch is GOAT

But yes recent hardware launches have been terrible either for lack of games or hardware related issues.

both those platforms had several months of time between their initial launch in japan. dreamcast had almost a year to form its us launch, which was the japanese launch plus the second wave of games to hit the platform. the ps2 had an extra half-year to make the drought seem not-so-bad for western audiences. the first actual year on those machines weren't that good. gamecube and xbox fared much better thanks to their super-late releases in the generation.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah PS4 launch was Resogun and a pretty fantastic port in Black Flag for me.

Wii U was a little better with New Mario U, Nintendoland and Sonic Transformed.

Both of them sort of went unused for a year aftet that though. Happens to almost every system. I'm constantly surprised at how often I use my Switch.

Dre3001

Salute to the OP.

I bought both PS4 and XB1 at launch and remember how barren the libraries were in the first few months.

This is why I was somewhat surprised when people kept criticizing the Switch first few months when both Sony and MS were no better with their systems.

It's no ps2 but I remember how shitty the ps3 launch was in comparison.
I'll take BF 4 over trash like resistance or that gundam musuo game.

Machina

Banned
Consoles NEVER launch well. N64 launched with 1 fucking game worth owning. The PS2 is the last console to launch with even a decent lineup.

I can't highlight this enough.

There was Resistence, one of the very few games i've never completed.

And Motorstorm, the one saving grace at the time.

And folklore, which was eh.

Resistance was good. Not like Halo or Mario 64 tier, but but a solid launch title that was worth playing through on its own merits, not just because it was the only shit available day 1.

I bought both consoles at launch and then didn't play hardly anything on them until like 2015. There was a two year streak where I didn't buy a single PS4 game.

This gen is solid now but good lord was it awful for a bit there.

I dunno, I enjoyed KZSF and ACIV is one of my favourite games of this gen. 2K14 looked incredible at the time, and Lego Marvel Superheroes is still my favourite Lego game.

It wasn't the best launch ever but I don't think it was too bad.

Edit: Oh yeah, Resogun! Still one of PS4's best titles.

Betty

Banned
Resistance was good. Not like Halo or Mario 64 tier, but but a solid launch title that was worth playing through on its own merits, not just because it was the only shit available day 1.

The spikes in difficulty were just offputting, the best thing about it was how realistically and accurately those windows broke.

Resistance wasn't bad, just not for me. A decent launch game I'll admit.

BF4 may have had save issues but playing 64 player multiplayer was awe inspiring.

D.Lo

both those platforms had several months of time between their initial launch in japan. dreamcast had almost a year to form its us launch, which was the japanese launch plus the second wave of games to hit the platform. the ps2 had an extra half-year to make the drought seem not-so-bad for western audiences. the first actual year on those machines weren't that good. gamecube and xbox fared much better thanks to their super-late releases in the generation.
This is ALWAYS missed by US-centric posters.

The Dreamcast actually had a miserable launch in Japan, same with PS2. It was just a different era where you could launch elsewhere up to a year later, with second gen games and a backlog ready to go.

I'm fully aware of the gap from japan to North America launches. But since I don't live in Japan, talking from a purely North American take, those two launches were very good. If I lived in Japan, then yes they would have been bad in my opinion.

Play it again cause that game hasn't aged well and even at the time last gen games like black and halo 2 played eons better with way older hardware.
Salute to the OP.

I bought both PS4 and XB1 at launch and remember how barren the libraries were in the first few months.

This is why I was somewhat surprised when people kept criticizing the Switch first few months when both Sony and MS were no better with their systems.
I own all these systems and love my switch but this comparison is absolute nonsense. The switch didn't even have voice chat ready at launch and the stand out title wasn't even an exclusive.

AniHawk

Consoles NEVER launch well. N64 launched with 1 fucking game worth owning. The PS2 is the last console to launch with even a decent lineup.

nah man ps2 was weak at launch. march 2000 had nothing for the machine. the gamecube launch at least had games people remember. or at the very least, super monkey ball.

360 had a pretty decent one with condemned, call of duty 2, kameo, and perfect dark zero. wii had excite trucks, wii sports, and twilight princess.

AniHawk

I'm fully aware of the gap from japan to North America launches. But since I don't live in Japan, talking from a purely North American take, those two launches were very good. If I lived in Japan, then yes they would have been bad in my opinion.

the point is that you can't make a direct comparison because of the gap in time. if you wanted to have an accurate look at both platforms, you'd do it from however many months were between the japanese and american launches.

The spikes in difficulty were just offputting, the best thing about it was how realistically and accurately those windows broke.

BF4 may have had save issues but playing 64 player multiplayer was awe inspiring.

Resistance wasn't like some kind of revelation in gaming, I wouldn't begrudge somebody for not digging it certainly. It was pretty well received though. One of the 2005-6 era shooters where it's a bridge between old and new shooter design and a pretty solid all rounder for its day.

You really should have included portable consoles as well.

Especially for Steel Diver.

PS_3DS_SteelDiver_PEGI.png

This was a $40 game. Those of you who have played it will realize how overpriced it was.

I'm honestly not trying to be super mean but it reminded me of the 4×4 Trsicuit Flash game on Nabisco World for some reason.

4x4ss.jpg

Relay lifeless and plain 3D just going left to right without anything really unique.

killroy87

I thought the PS4 launch was pretty good. I bought and loved a lot of those games. Sure they weren't all PS4 exclusive, but why would I buy Black Flag on PS3?

Xbone had a couple solid exclusives as well, with Dead Rising and Ryse.

GameCube had a solid launch. Rogue Squadron, Luigis Mansion, Super Monkey Ball, and Wave Race along with some okay third party stuff.

GamerJM

Banned
PS4/X1 launches were abysmal and I totally regret getting a PS4 at launch. Wii U's was good but not great, Switch was like this generation's N64 launch in that it didn't launch with much but what it did launch with was one of the most important games of the decade.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
no console ever has a good launch period, and i mean at launch, not at when it launches in your region

AniHawk

PS4/X1 launches were abysmal and I totally regret getting a PS4 at launch. Wii U's was good but not great, Switch was like this generation's N64 launch in that it didn't launch with much but what it did launch with was one of the most important games of the decade.

switch's launch left people hungry for anything, which led to the success of bomberman, puyo puyo tetris, snake pass, and neo geo games (among many others). but at this stage the first year has been pretty damn stellar, six months out.

Godzilla Generations
July
Pen Pen Tri-Icelon
Virtua Fighter 3tb

You think this is the greatest launch of all time? I don't know that many would share your sentiment.

I don't live in Japan as I'm sure a number of ppl on gaf don't either. The North American launch was great and is considered by many to be the best. Your post makes no sense.

I was 17 when dreamcast launched in 99. I knew it had a rough start in japan. I had all the magazines covering the launch. But for me since I'm "american", and not "Japanese", the launch here was great.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
You really should have included portable consoles as well.

Especially for Steel Diver.

This was a $40 game. Those of you who have played it will realize how overpriced it was.

I'm honestly not trying to be super mean but it reminded me of the 4×4 Trsicuit Flash game on Nabisco World for some reason.

Relay lifeless and plain 3D just going left to right without anything really unique.

I'll never forget the OG DS launch. A Mario 64 port to hold everyone over until Kirby and Advance Wars more than six months later. Basically a glorified GBA for the better part of its first year.

It's not recent at all. People forget the dire launch line up of systems like Mega Drive or even the Saturn, PS, PS2, DC in Japan. Yes the DC launch in the USA was good, but that was almost a year after the system came out in Japan even the 360 launch line up wasn't the best

Fbh

Launch wasn't the issue
The issue was the rest of the first year.

Releases where slow and for the most part unremarkable

Dre3001

Play it again cause that game hasn't aged well and even at the time last gen games like black and halo 2 played eons better with way older hardware.

I own all these systems and love my switch but this comparison is absolute nonsense. The switch didn't even have voice chat ready at launch and the stand out title wasn't even an exclusive.

Depends on your expectations and taste I guess.

I never owned a WiiU so the games being exclusive or not wasn't a huge factor for me. Neither was online since Nintendo has never been known for that and I already have a subscription for other online services so I didn't see the need to add another one.

As far as the titles for the PS4, killzone was a let down to me. Assasins creed and BF4 were pretty much the only titles I played for the first few months. Ironically BF4 multiplayer was broken at launch and didn't work correctly for the first few weeks.

Didn't want to buy a XB1 and it was an impulse buy but Killer instinct was a huge surprise and is still one of my favorite games of this entire gen. But outside of that, the selection was very slim as well.

Cranster

Banned
I pre-ordered the Xbox 360 but waited 8 to 10 months to get an Xbox one for a variety of reasons. The first being that Don Matricks direction deflated any hype with the always online bullshit, plus the mandatory Kinect, major TV focus and lack of launch titles that catered to my tastes.

It wasn't until Microsoft removed the Kinect and the announcement of the Master Chief Collection that I eventually decided to get an Xbox One. Even then things didn't really pick up until 2015 and last year.

I've seen worse. I'd say these are about average launch lineups.

What was really missing was a big launch exclusive, but not everyone gets to have a Halo or WiiSports at launch.

Top Bottom