• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite allowing cross platform play with Xbox One & PS4 gamers?

Gowans

I heard on launch that it would let you join friends via the in game friends list on any platform that was patched out but a reddit user has noticed the potentially the same happening again in the new Battle Royal PvP game mode.

was just playing Fortnite on my Playstation 4 and ran into a group of teamers at the end of Battleroyale... surprise... and noticed I got killed by an odd gamertag.

zCypher Nine

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/175127882 here is a link of the twitch VOD as proof of whom I was killed by, his friends and the fact I was using a PS4.

That gamer tag is IMPOSSIBLE to create on PS4 because of the space. On PSN you are only able to add underscores into gamertags. So I typed it in with an underscore just figuring it was a glitch. Nope, no dice.

I am lucky enough to own both a PS4 and XBOX 1. So I switch over to my XB1 and boom, instant results. I also searched his friend he was teaming with RatoDoGlobal... boom instant results.

https://imgur.com/a/f17M9 screenshots of proof they are real gamer tags on xbox and not ps4

This is HUGE. Sony and Microsoft do not allow crossplatform play. To my knowledge this has never happened before. WTF just happened? And fuck you for the first documented case of this ever happening being a group of dudes cheating.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/175120924 full clip of the entire match start to finish, incase anyone cares to dig into any other gamertags for further evidence of crossplay

https://www.reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/comments/70fj38/fortnite_just_made_console_history_proof_of_cross/

Edit
The verge have picked it up

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/18/16327964/xbox-playstation-4-cross-platform-play-fortnite

Epic have confirmed it as a glitch that has now been corrected

Ploid 3.0

Cross play with Fortnite and Battle Royal works with PS4 and PC. Cross buy too. Surprised the glitch that allows xbox is back. Wonder if they will leave it in.

Gowans

Cross play with Fortnite and Battle Royal works with PS4 and PC. Cross buy too. Surprised the glitch that allows xbox is back. Wonder if they will leave it in.

Yeah I thought it might be a PC tag but with the history on launch of the platforms seeping together maybe it's happening again.

I guess the real way to tell would be if you searched the name on epic launcher and couldn't find it

I searched for their name.

Pot2d4t.png

y3SN1Rg.png

Nev

Banned
Just wondering, why does Sony allow cross-play with PC in games like Paragon? Isn't that a risk to the precious kid playerbase too?

Such bullshit excuse.

The idea that cross-play is so easy that it can happen on accident is both hilarious and sad; if this ends up being true anyway.

Bluth54

Just wondering, why does Sony allow cross-play with PC in games like Paragon? Isn't that a risk to the precious kid playerbase too?

Such bullshit excuse.

Sony knows PC gamers will never put a child at risk or expose them to lewd or disturbing content unlike console gamers.

gtj1092

Didn't MS make them stop cross play previously?

Yeah. Maybe they will not notice it's back again. Will Epic get in trouble? I wonder if the patch was rushed through on Xbox One, how did no one notice this?

Such bullshit excuse.

And yet MS was the one who blocked this.

is it really a glitch when the only thing stopping crossplay between these two consoles is egos?

more like it works fine normally but it's broken and disabled by design.

_Ryo_

What this tells me is that you dont need to login to Xbox live to play with xbox players on PS4, which is as far as I know, something that Microsoft actually requires you to do to crossplay with Xbox One players on any platform.

Ie loging in to Xbox Live on Switch/Android/PC.

So, if the case is that Microsoft is actually forcing an artificial requirement to use crossplay I can then easier understand Sony's stance regarding the issue. Why would they allow Microsoft the right to have Xbox accounts on their platform if it is not necessary for players to play cross play?

I might be incorrect in my unserstanding of this though.

Gowans

What this tells me is that you dont need to login to Xbox live to play with xbox players on PS4, which is as far as I know, something that Microsoft actually requires you to do to crossplay on any platform.

So, if the case is that Microsoft is forcing an artificial requirement I can then easier understand Sony's stance regarding cossplay. Why would they allow Microsoft the right to have accounts on their platform if it is not necessary for players to play cross play?

The Live login for Minecraft is used for your purchases and rights. Steam users can play against live users on Rocket League where they have no live log in.

_Ryo_

The Live login for Minecraft is used for your purchases and rights. Steam users can play against live users on Rocket League where they have no live log in.

Interesting. If you dont have to sign in to xbox live to crossplay with xbox players on PS4, Sonys stance is more questionable.

But I am still unsure of all the details.

What this tells me is that you dont need to login to Xbox live to play with xbox players on PS4, which is as far as I know, something that Microsoft actually requires you to do to crossplay with Xbox One players on any platform.

So, if the case is that Microsoft is actually forcing an artificial requirement to use crossplay I can then easier understand Sony's stance regarding the issue. Why would they allow Microsoft the right to have Xbox accounts on their platform if it is not necessary for players to play cross play?

Live account is just for Minecraft because it will allow you to access your account on various platforms. Play on your switch on break at work and then jump on your Xbox or PC if you want at home.

Head.spawn

Yes.

'Tales From My Ass'

DrkSage

Live account is just for Minecraft because it will allow you to access your account on various platforms. Play on your switch on break at work and then jump on your Xbox or PC if you want at home.

But why require a live account? Why not create an account system in-game or whatever, call it minecraft account, mojang account, Minecraft realms account, w/e?

to add to that, they not only just allow it, but have it set up to create accounts automatically for other game publishers, like EA, TTWO and Ubi.

But why require a live account? Why not create an account system in-game or whatever, call it minecraft account, mojang account, Minecraft realms account, w/e?

create another account system when they already have the Microsoft account system that works across all their Microsoft products and services like Windows, Xbox, Groove Music, Office, Outlook, etc?

tsundoku

minecraft has used live accounts since microsoft bought it because MICROSOFT WANTS THAT SWEET SWEET STATISTICS AND USER AD DATA

LewieP

Because they want to use cross platform Minecraft multiplayer to drive Xbox Live engagement. It's a trojan horse.

_Ryo_

Yes.

'Tales From My Ass'

Its not "Tales FromMy Ass" when I literally admit to uncertainty and that I am ignorant of all the details I am not presenting anything as fact so your response is both childish and literally wrong.

Totally uncalled for.

_Ryo_

Announces cross play.

MAU up 1500000%.

Scorpio.

Xbox wins.

And people still wonder why sony doesn't want to play ball?

This was my theory. It is now clearly apparent Microsoft does not technically need the PS4 to log in to Xbox Live for players on PS4 to crossplay with Xbox One players.

Sony and Microsoft are both in the wrong here imo.

This was my theory. It is now clearly apparent Microsoft does not technically need the PS4 to log in to Xbox Live for players on PS4 to crossplay with Xbox One players.

And it's already been explained to you that that is not a requirement for crossplay. Only Minecraft needs it. The other crossplay games don't use it. Not sure why you're getting huffy with other posters when you're still regurgitating the same talking points several people have told you you were wrong about.

It's like you just ignored all of the comments that explained why an MS account is required for a game they own and provide a unified account system for...

Trup1aya

What's the difference? it's an MS managed account either way.

Why create yet another account system when they already have one that meets all of their needs?

_Ryo_

It's like you just ignored all of the comments that explained why an MS account is required for a game they own and provide a unified account system for...

I did not ignore it, I just dont find it as an acceptable defense, nor do I agree it should be required, as the OP clearly shows that technically possible to crossplay without it.

And it's already been explained to you that that is not a requirement for crossplay. Only Minecraft needs it. The other crossplay games don't use it. Not sure why you're getting huffy with other posters when you're still regurgitating the same talking points several people have told you you were wrong about.

I wasnt getting huffy in that post. I was agreeing with their assesment. Also like I said, if there is no need for an xbox live login to crossplay Sonys stance is absolutely questionable. Its quite curious that people accuse me of not reading, or ignoring something and being defensive when I mostly am agreeing with them.

My opinion is essentially Sony should allow crossplay with Xbox One players. Microsoft should allow crossplay with PS4 players. There should be no requirements other than having the same.game and an internet connection.

Trup1aya

I did not ignore it, I just dont find it as an acceptable defense, nor do I agree it should be required, as the OP clearly shows that technically possible to crossplay without it.

The MS account is not about crossplay. It's about accessing your purchased content across platforms.

Seems to me you ARE ignoring...

_Ryo_

The MS account is not about crossplay. It's about accessing your purchased content across platforms.

Seems to me you ARE ignoring...

No I am not. I am not talking about sharing content between systems. I am talking specifically about playing with each other on different systems which IS possible without any sort of login.

I accept that MS accounts are for sharing content between systems. That is irrelevant to my point as it is NOT required. Its pretty simple.

Maybe we just arent understanding each other correctly. I suspect we both feel we are talking in circles. In which case any further discussion is pointless as we will continue to suspect the other of ignoring, miscontruing their argument. I have made my point as clear as possible earlier. Sony and Microsoft should allow basic crossplay with each system other requirement than having the same game and an internet connection.

Thats all I really have to say.

Head.spawn

Its not "Tales FromMy Ass" when I literally admit to uncertainty and that I am ignorant of all the details I am not presenting anything as fact so your response is both childish and literally wrong.

Totally uncalled for.

What is your understanding on the matter based on then?

Do you have an Xbox One? Have you played any games on Xbox One that are also on Steam or other outside networks that you are referencing here?

I feel like if you didn't literally just make up all of that from thin air, that maybe the very first game you would've tested this argument on would've been the first game on Xbox One to support crossplatform play and then you would've immediately realized it doesn't pass the sniff test.

To be clear, have you played Rocket League on PC and if so, do you remember those things you just stated in your post as being relevant when playing with Xbox One users?

And I feel like even you hadn't played it yourself to test the argument, hell, you don't even have to look up any info on the matter to know better; you should already know what you're saying isn't the case because a quick search tells me you've said the same argument in an older thread and someone corrected you there and told you why it it wasn't the case back then.

Kayant

Is crossplay in any form officially supported?

If so is there an option to disable it? If not that would be one of the reasons of MS refusing here because a requirement for cross-play implementation to exist is for a disable option to exist.

Anyways things like this just show that cross-play in terms of it being allowed by console manufacturers is a nothing but a bureaucracy issue than a technical one at this point.

I wasnt getting huffy in that post. I was agreeing with their assesment. Also like I said, if there is no need for an xbox live login to crossplay Sonys stance is absolutely questionable. Its quite curious that people accuse me of not reading, or ignoring something and being defensive when I mostly am agreeing with them.

My opinion is essentially Sony should allow crossplay with Xbox One players. Microsoft should allow crossplay with PS4 players. There should be no requirements other than having the same.game and an internet connection.

Crossplay works without an account, but it's not the sort of crossplay that people want.

In Rocket League you get more people to play with in matchmaking, but you can't make crossplatform parties. Playing with friends works in private matches, but it's convoluted and requires passcodes.

People want to be able to start Minecraft, see their friends and invite/join them. That requires some sort of cross platform account.

Want to play Minecraft with your friends on Xbox/Switch/Win10/iOS/Android/? Sign into your Xbox account, open your friends list and invite/join them.
Want to play Minecraft with your friends on PS4 without an Xbox account? Create a lobby, type in a secret code, communicate that code to your friend through a third party service.

Building that second crossplay system just for PS4 users doesn't make sense when everyone else is on board. Also, Fortnite uses an Epic account for their crossplay and friendslist.

MUnited83

For you.
No I am not. I am not talking about sharing content between systems. I am talking specifically about playing with each other on different systems which IS possible without any sort of login.

I accept that MS accounts are for sharing content between systems. That is irrelevant to my point as it is NOT required. Its pretty simple.

Maybe we just arent understanding each other correctly. I suspect we both feel we are talking in circles. In which case any further discussion is pointless as we will continue to suspect the other of ignoring, miscontruing their argument. I have made my point as clear as possible earlier. Sony and Microsoft should allow basic crossplay with each system other requirement than having the same game and an internet connection.

Thats all I really have to say.

You continously show how little you understand about crossplay in any capacity. You can have basic crossplay without extra accounts, yes. But you need them for a fully featured one, especially for Minecraft where playing with friends is literally the major thing. And asking for a "separate Mojang account is idiotic". You sign up with your regular Microsoft account.

Darknight

Such bullshit excuse.

We do not know the real reason, that was a botched PR response.

I think I read it has to do with MS needing Sony players to make a MS account at least on Minecraft.

If that is the case, both player bases should open an account with the opposite service and link all account kinda like Social Party or whatever from Rockstar.

Edit: could be BS as well. Lets hope they work this out.

CookTrain

Looks like people are experimenting with it and it looks legit. Given what they've said about another team working on the Battle Royale mode compared to the PvE, perhaps they were on a slightly older setup that still allowed that cross play.

MS cut the cord on this last time, let's see if they stomp on it again or hold their tongue and actually validate all the other pushes they've been making.

MUnited83

For you.
What? Microsoft is the one that blocked this.

Because of a deleted post? As far as we know they spelled Microsoft instead of Sony by accident. Doesn't really make any sense that it would MS blocking this when Sony literally blocked every single Sony-MS game. You think they miraculously were willing to lift it for Fortnite?

CookTrain

Because of a deleted post? As far as we know they spelled Microsoft instead of Sony by accident. Doesn't really make any sense that it would MS blocking this when Sony literally blocked every single Sony-MS game. You think they miraculously were willing to lift it for Fortnite?

Because the Sony > PC crossplay still exists, whereas the Xbox one appeared to be entirely shut down before this latest development.

It's likely it was left enabled by Epic somewhat by accident with it being an early access game and, at the time, an unannounced feature that people stumbled upon in a sort of hacky way.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

From Microsoft perspective: why create a new account system just for 1 game and not use your own existing account system?

Top Bottom