• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 2DS XL or New 3DS XL?

Peterthumpa

GAF, I'm almost pulling the trigger on a 2DS XL, but never tried the new 3DS with the supposedly better 3D tracking. Price difference here is approx. 50 dollars.

Is the 3D effect worth the difference? Are recent games still using the technology? And about comfort, is the 2DS XL ergonomically better, i.e., reduces cramping, etc?

Kindekuma

Banned
3D is a total gimmick, most people I know barely use it ever. However some games make really good use of it. Games like Metroid Samus Returns, MGS3: Snake Eater 3D, SM3D Land, and OoT/Majora's Mask 3D, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, and A Link Between Worlds for example.

The systems IMO are a bit crampy no matter what version, I've got rather large hands so it can get tiring after a bit. If you think the feature is worth the extra premium in terms of pricing, go for it. But you're not missing out a whole lot by not having it.

I'd say the 3d is worth it alone for nearly all of Nintendo's first party games. Shame the eye tracking technology didn't catch on, I turn on the 3d for most of my play sessions with the New 3ds. I'd also check out if your eyes are comfortable with the 3d first if I were you

I have a 3DS XL and was thinking about upgrading to a New 2DS XL. I just about never use the 3D. I will turn it on maybe once when starting a new game just to see what it looks like, then turn it off a few seconds later. Its strange, but I have a harder time judging depth with it on.

Gaardus

Personally, I think the 3D feature is the coolest shit ever, and the face tracking means I don't have to maintain an exact position holding it. It's never strictly speaking necessary, but I keep it on almost 100% of the time. I'd say the extra cost is worth it, but I know I'm not in the mainstream on that - I'm one of those people who wanted the standard size New 3DS.

MilkLizard

I would get the 3DS. Not for 3D but for the better speakers alone. The speakers on the 2DS are placed awkwardly and can easily get covered by your hands. Total design fail IMO.

_SAKY_

If yoy can afford it then go with 3D. If there is content in any game you play that requires 3D it qould be highly irritating to have to fumble through without. The 3D in the "new" models is spot on thanks to the eye tracking.

I can't imagine that the 2ds xl is comfortable to hold and the 3ds isn't so that is a toss up.

3D

I got a 2dsxl at its launch and I would say it's inferior to the n3ds xl.

The build quality feels cheaper, the buttons feel worse, the hinge is wobblier and the speakers are absolutely terrible.

The speakers are positioned exactly where your palms would rest holding the device. And on max volume, they make the unit shake and vibrate and distort the sound. I was playing ocarina of Time 3d and Everytime I hit the l trigger to center the camera it would distort the sound and vibrate the back of the unit.

Go with the n3ds xl.

Vyer

The screens on the new 2DS xl are much worse than the new 3DS xl.

3D can be a cool little gimmick, and is fun to check out now and then, but it wasn’t a deal breaker for me. The screen difference is. I sold my new 2DS xl and will be picking up a new 3DS for myself eventually

Shaanyboi

Banned
If you're buying the thing now, I suppose it's worth asking how deep you're planning on getting with the 3DS library? If this is for Metroid and acouple other games, stick with the 2DS. If you plan on deep diving on stuff you may have missed, just pay the extra 50 since the 3D can be a cool effect sometimes, and the n3DS actually got me to leave it on for some extended periods of time.

N3DS XL gives you a ticket to the screen lottery. N2DS XL gets you a guaranteed subpart screen.

Super stable 3D is great on the N3DS compared to the old so the largely poor reputation it gets is somewhat unfair.

The price is just not low enough on the 2DS XL to really justify its existence when refurb units are available direct from Nintendo.

FiveSide

Banned
The 3D effect by itself is easily worth $50, and then of course there's the possibility of getting the superior IPS screens.

(Though to be honest, the difference between the screens in a lot of cases is marginal, my N3DS has TN and I actually sold my N3DS XL that had the superior IPS.)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the camp that has a N3DS XL but never turns the 3D on. If not for possible differences in component quality I'd recommend the 2DS XL hands down.

For what it's worth, the 3D does at least work on the N3DS. It was 100% worthless on the original due to being so finicky.

Nelo Ice

Banned
After only occasionally using the spotty 3D on the OG 3DS XL, I am loving the super stable 3D on the my Samus N3DSXL. Totally worth it since now I keep the 3D turned on all the time.

GamerJM

Banned
As someone who owns both for some reason, the build on the 3DS XL is a little better but negligible, and it ultimately comes down to preference (both have pros and cons). 3D is cool but you'll probably forget about it most of the time save for like 3-5 specific games. New 2DS XL is a good way to save money but the New 3DS XL is definitely superior.

tmarg

Nintendo is selling refurb regular N3DSes for $125 on their online store. Plus apparently a free shipping promotion. I'd recommend that over either of the xl versions, even if it wasn't cheaper.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I understand people not being wowed by depth effects, but playing with 3D enabled helps smooth out jaggies a ton, or at least reliably tricks your brain into perceiving as much.

Playing with 3D totally off is like disabling a decent anti-aliasing filter, essentially.

topplehat

I don’t particularly care for the 3D, so I went with the 2ds xl. What I really appreciate is the reduced weight and weight distribution when compared to the n3ds xl. I also like how the top screen is presented, and the overall reduced size when compared to the 3ds xl.

Peterthumpa

I understand people not being wowed by depth effects, but playing with 3D enabled helps smooth out jaggies a ton, or at least reliably tricks your brain into perceiving as much.

Playing with 3D totally off is like disabling a decent anti-aliasing filter, essentially.

Really? My perception is the complete opposite of that. I mean, I had a 3DS before, the original one, and I remember games like Resident Evil Revelations and Luigi's Mansion 2 actually enabling AA when 3D was turned off.

I'm in a similar predicament, but in my case I already have a New 3DS XL and am considering getting the Pokeball New 2DS XL because it just looks great. Still, as nice as it looks I'm worried that I'd be downgrading just for those looks. When it comes to 3D I pretty much never use it though, and while my 3DS does have an IPS screen I'm not super concerned about the TN screen on the 2DS. For all the people saying the New 3DS XL has better build quality I don't quite understand that too, I've never been super impressed with this New 3DS XL due to the glossy plastic and the sharp edge the (rather thin) back cover creates around the edges. So maybe the 2DS XL really does have worse build quality in some respect, but at least it's not glossy nor does it have that annoying and flimsy battery cover.

Tadpole

I like the weight of the 2ds xl. But certain games look excellent in 3d. The matte back of the 2ds is also easier to hold.

I say new 3ds. The new 2ds feels cheap in my hands and I don't care for the speaker placement. I've read that the screen is noticeably worse, but I haven't tested that myself. It does come with a charger, for what it's worth.

As for 3d, the tracking is great and it will make a fair amount of games look a bit better if nothing else. If you keep your eye on dealzon/CAG/Wario then you can probably grab a 3ds for cheaper. I've seen the Galaxy 3ds for $160 new in the past week or so. What's another $10 for better hardware?

Edit: Nintendo's eBay page has new 3ds XL refurbs for $160 right now, though that's not the deal I was talking about

EdgeXL

If you can afford it, I believe the N3DSXL is a better experience. Either system will play the game's just fine but the New 3DSXL seems to have a better build quality, the buttons feel better, the stylus is a little bigger, etc.

Maybe those aren't worth the extra cost to you but I play my N3DSXL a lot so I wanted a slightly more pleasant experience.

I'm extremely happy with the New 3DS XL from a general hardware standpoint. It's sturdy and solid. Good speakers.

The 3D is nice, works better than previous models. I turn it on in some games. Too bad Pokémon doesn't get a speed boost from New units so it could play 3D with a stable frame rate.

I got my unit refurb from Nintendo for $160 plus a charger for $5. I probably could have gotten by with my OG 3DS but it's fine.

I have not tried a N2DS XL. I think I would like the lighter weight, but I would miss the 3D.

Really? My perception is the complete opposite of that. I mean, I had a 3DS before, the original one, and I remember games like Resident Evil Revelations and Luigi's Mansion 2 actually enabling AA when 3D was turned off.

Some games don't enable AA in 2D mode, though, so it's better to run in 3D in those cases because your brain is (depending on the brain, of course) more likely to work to ignore/accept it.

Really the best one is the non-xl New Nintendo 3DS. Not just because it's smaller (can slip into pocket), it has the Super Famicom button color scheme, and it has face plates but because games look better on it. Now, games look fine on the New 3DS XL (or the New 2DS XL) but that increased screen size doesn't mean that games run at a higher resolution which results in a blurrier picture than what you get on the New 3DS due to its smaller screens.

Hatty

I really like how the 2DS XL feels. Glossy plastic will always feel worse than matte. Only knock against the 2DS is that you have no chance of an ips screen so you’ll get lots of ghosting with certain games

Masx

Banned
Other then the portability aspect, I think the 3D effect was one of the major selling points of the 3DS. The 3D effect is great (when done well) and is only a gimmick to people when done poorly or get some sort of motion sickness from it.

If the $50 difference will make or break you in terms of finance, then get 2D but if not, for sure 3D.

Top Bottom