• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think is a reasonable commute to work and or college?

I'm starting this new college course, and I've done the journey a couple of times to get used to it, and I've worked out the shortest route is just over 2 hours, a bus and a train, or a train and a bus, 2 buses, Including little extra bits of time and the impracticality of driving, that means I'll have to leave my house by 6.40am ish. That feels like a long arse commute, right pain in the arse shit. What do you think gaf? Whats your longer commutes?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oof two hours is rough. I used to work a job that was about one hour twenty minutes between two buses, and that's probably the most I'd do

Now I'm down to 40 minutes on a train which is perfect

Aomber

At absolute most, an hour. Two hours sounds brutal, I have a friend who's about to start a new job with that kind of commute and I think he's gonna move closer to his job to be honest.

Currently, mine is 30 minutes one way, hour round trip. That's the max I am willing to do for driving. I could do hour one way, two hours round trip if by train.

bluethree

My current commute is around 30 minutes door to door, only 15 for the actual train ride itself though. That's insanely good for the Tokyo area.

Long commutes aren't bad on public transportation. My commutes are an hour and a half to two hours each way, but I get to relax and listen to music/study/do tons of things on my phone.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My commute to work lasts between 1:00 and 1:30 hours by bus, so I'm used to wasting almost 3 hours a day traveling. 2 hours is a lot, but if that's what you have to do then you should definitely get busy doing something during the trip, like playing a game, reading a book or listening to music.

Myriadis

One hour one way is the maximum for me, and something I did often. Now I live close to work and can reach the place by foot in 15 minutes, which is pretty much the best thing.

For me depends on how I'm getting there. Just spent 5 years driving from San Fran to Emeryville (which is over near Oakland). 45 minutes there, an hour/hour and a half back. Now, I work in downtown San Fran and I just take the bus for 35 minutes each way.

The Ummah

Banned
If I were to take the bus to work, it would be two hours each way. I live 15 minutes from work, with traffic accounted for.

Needless to say, I haven't taken the bus to/from work.

x3r0123

I used to do 1.5-2 hours commute each way. It was good as I got to take naps but it was stressing me out in the long term. I'm down to 40~ mins each way and never going back

That’s unbearable the longes commute I’ve ever had was to my high school which was 15 minutes. To my college now it’s only about 2 minutes.

ss_lemonade

30 minutes I guess. My drive to work used to take me over an hour one way due to the traffic. It was horrible and lasted for more than a year. I moved to a closer apartment after that, and our office also moved closer to where I now live and now it only takes me 5 minutes to get to work, which is super convenient.

Seirith

Anything more than 15-30 minuets by car is a no for me, I have never had to drive father than 20 minuets for work or class.

JackDT

I wouldn't mind a long commute on a train or someplace I could easily take out a laptop and work/play. I might even prefer a 90 minute train commute over a 45 minute car drive. But driving two hours would drive me nuts.

If it's one class it's probably not every day, and it probably ends after a few months, so that's probably doable.

My current Uni commute is about 20 mins walk, 30 mins train then 10 min tube/walk...its not too bad. I had thought about going to Brunel but a commute would have been bloody murder.

Imo sub 1HR is best, otherwise it probably ends up eating too much out of your day for you to properly rest and be productive.

I was only a 15 minute drive to my college (no traffic), so I'm assuming I had it easy.

Though I did have to drive 30 minutes to Jersey City, then park and get on the Path train when I had that internship in the city (still pretty reasonable though).

Social

I had to endure the following for 2 years

- take car to station, find parking (5 mins)
- take train and stop at first station (20 mins)
- wait for next train that headed to brussels(40-50 mins)
- at brussels station, take a tram (20-25 mins)
- walk from tram station to work (10-15 mins)

When everything ran smoothly (rarely) it was OK and not all that bad but since it never did, it was always a nightmare. Or there was no parking, or the train didn't arrive, or the second one didn't, or the tram was stuck somewhere etc... It usually took 2 hours to get to work.

NEVER AGAIN.

Would not do it again, half an hour max from then on.

Work from home now so 0 minutes is the best.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Having been in the city for so long, I am really nervous to find out what a commute longer than 15 min is like as a 30something.

I think an hour door to door is probably the upper limit but man is it gonna blow.

Timbuktu

Depends, I don't mind over an hour on a train where I can get a seat, but I would hate to drive. In a car, you can just have the radio, music or podcast but I get a lot of reading or work done on a train and frankly enjoy it as some personal time.

MastAndo

Due to some year-long construction going on with my usual NYC train line, I have to take other, much more crowded trains to work. If all goes smoothly, I can actually get to work a few minutes quicker than before, but it's hardly a worthwhile trade-off. I took for granted how comfortable my commute was before this. I'm hardly taking super crowded trains, and also avoiding rush hours, but this standing up stuff with people all up on you is for the birds.

So yeah, an ideal commute is a comfortable one - given that, an hour or so total is fine.

For me depends on how I'm getting there. Just spent 5 years driving from San Fran to Emeryville (which is over near Oakland). 45 minutes there, an hour/hour and a half back. Now, I work in downtown San Fran and I just take the bus for 35 minutes each way.

Wow, the Bay Bridge must be a parking lot.

PillarEN

About to start a new job. Commute by public transport will be about 30 minutes. It's a large city. That's fine with me. I would go as far to say that 45 minutes would still be ok with me (and frankly if you are desperate than yeah I would just deal with an even longer commute if worst comes worst).

For college? I'd live close to campus or on campus. Or, if it was in a city I lived in already before (as not having to move for the semesters away from home) then I don't really care.

Wulfric

I used to take the bus to school, it took an hour each way. Wouldn't want to commute long than that, but you gotta do what you gotta do I suppose.

Erudite

I went from working right outside where I worked (a 2 minute walk) to a commute via bus & train that can vary anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour.

Any longer and I don't know if I could do it.

At least the new job pays more and is advancing my career.

Currently, I drive an hour to work. It's not bad because there is hardly any traffic when I go. Some of my coworkers think I'm crazy for driving that much because most of them have less than 20 minute commute times. I think my limit would be around an hour 30 or 45.

Oof...Takes me about 10-15 minutes and that feels way too long. Anything over 30 minutes is not worth it. Find another job/college/place to live. I can't imagine spending that percentage of my life in transit.

Top Bottom