• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite Battle Royal will be Free for everybody from September 26th

dex3108

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gUtfBmw86Y

For those who bought game last week:

I bought the game for the PvP Battle Royale mode on PC last week. Since it's free now, can I have a refund?

Yes. If you purchased Fortnite between Sept. 12 and Sept. 19 to get access to Battle Royale, and you would like a refund, contact us and we'll give you one. Fortnite Battle Royale will still be available to you for free.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...67471-fortnite-battle-royale-free-sept-26-faq

Kouriozan

Interesting, feeling bad for those you bought the game last week though.
Edit :
If anyone purchased Fortnite between Sept. 12 and Sept. 19 to get access to Battle Royale, and you would like a refund, we’ll give you one. If that's anyone on this thread, holler at us.

Edit: beaten by killercow!

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Interesting, feeling bad for those you bought the game last week though.

If anyone purchased Fortnite between Sept. 12 and Sept. 19 to get access to Battle Royale, and you would like a refund, we'll give you one. If that's anyone on this thread, holler at us.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I was never going to pay £30 for it but I'll definitely play it now.

amdb00mer

If I recall the game is actually free to play, but for game preview they kind of forced people to buy starter versions. This requirement was supposed to go away sometime early next year. Maybe with their Battle Royale mode they got enough sales to go ahead and push it to F2P for everybody early.

arimanius

If anyone purchased Fortnite between Sept. 12 and Sept. 19 to get access to Battle Royale, and you would like a refund, we’ll give you one. If that's anyone on this thread, holler at us.

So the only refund form I found asks for a Epic account address. I bought this on the PS4 so can I not get a refund?

Lucifon

Huge move, and a brilliant one too. Been saying to my buddies ever since trying out the early access that they should roll out the Battle Royale as a separate mode for free for all ASAP to get ahead of PUBG's console launch.

It's damn fun, albeit early. It's a refreshing lite change from PUBG. It needs some work in key areas for sure but it already plays really well and has an art style that would work great for cosmetics funding it.

I think this could end up being a surprisingly big success.

bombshell

If I recall the game is actually free to play, but for game preview they kind of forced people to buy starter versions. This requirement was supposed to go away sometime early next year. Maybe with their Battle Royale mode they got enough sales to go ahead and push it to F2P for everybody early.

From the FAQ:
"Why did Epic make only Battle Royale free? When will the whole game be free?
We still have a lot of features to add before the PvE campaign is complete. We will launch the Save the World PvE campaign for free in 2018."

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
So the only refund form I found asks for a Epic account address. I bought this on the PS4 so can I not get a refund?

Use your personal address and go through the flow, noting the platform on the form. I'm not CS, so can't tell you how it will work beyond that, but our CS should be able to give you more details.

It would be insane if this mode got more recognition than the actual base game which they spent years on, compared to this mode which was tacked on in a couple months tops. The fact it's instantly F2P will probably make it huge right out of the gate especially on PS4 where Battle Royale games still don't exist, besides GTA Online's car version which has nothing to do with it tbh. On X1 there is The Culling in Game Preview but the playerbase wasn't exactly massive last I played it.

Jawmuncher

This being free is a smart move. Will get people interested in Fortnite and gives people waiting on PUBG a chance to play and experience that kind of game now. This is especially great since for being a free game I've heard it's not too bad at all. If they play their developement cards right they might end up making more money off of this than fortnite itself (Since i'm assuming there will be cosmetic purchases and such).

So, just to be clear - you can only play the battle royal mode for free and not the standard building things/fighting zombies mode?

Wait, so I paid £37.99 on Saturday on their sale that they had on PSN to promote the new update, and 5 days after buying it they've announced that it's going to be free to play starting from next week?

Their site only mentions refunds for the PC version. So am I/others who bought the game during last week's sale for the new mode on PSN/XBL out of luck here or something?

Intel_89

If they're the first ones to do a proper Battle Royale F2P then they'll have a huge audience. Fortnite will be F2P in 2018, right?

After playing PUBG, I'll try this out especially since it's free. In addition, very smart of Epic to have this free and have it on consoles.

Lunaniem

Wait, so I paid £37.99 on Saturday on their sale that they had on PSN to promote the new update, and 5 days after buying it they've announced that it's going to be free to play starting from next week?

Their site only mentions refunds for the PC version. So am I/others who bought the game during last week's sale for the new mode on PSN/XBL out of luck here or something?

https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/71b8g2/fortnite_battle_royale_free_sept_26_faq/dn9fiwk/

They are giving refunds on PS4 if you go through Sony support.

Top Bottom