• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Akira Toriyama Designed Android 21

Link.

As recently revealed, Dragon Ball FighterZ has an original fighter called Android 21. Even though the character was created by Namco Bandai for the game, the company explained how the character was designed by Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama.

While at Namco Bandai earlier this week in Tokyo, Kotaku participated in a roundtable discussion with Dragon Ball FighterZ producer Tomoko Hiroki, who described how the process went, which helped clarify Toriyama’s involvement.

I asked why the Android 21 trailer read “Original character supervised by Akira Toriyama.”

Namco Bandai created the game’s story and decided what kind of character Android 21 would. “We basically said what the character was, such as her gender and her personality,” Hiroki explained. “We said what kind of character we wanted, and gave Toriyama the plot. Then, he was able to freely draw the character.”

Essentially, Namco Bandai created the framework, and within those parameters, Toriyama designed Android 21.

Namco Bandai was operating under parameters of its own. While working on the game, the developers would show art and footage to Toei and Shueisha (instead of working with directly with Toriyama). The anime studio and the manga publisher would then check the game to make sure what the developers were doing suited the characters and the Dragon Ball universe.

“There were small things that were rejected or changed, such as them saying that Freiza or Cell wouldn’t say this or that or some slight changes to how Goku would act.”

While Android was designed for Dragon Ball FighterZ, Hiroki said she would be happy if the character became popular enough to make the leap to the Dragon Ball anime. We’ll have to see about that.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Yas queen slay etc.

giphy.gif

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I generally like her design except for the checkerboard/harley queen-like dress though.

Spinky

The Harley dress is a problem for me. Also she has glasses because anime, I guess. Apart from that she seems cool, and DB needs female characters badly.

Trickster

It's a Very bad design.

She's got that modern dragon ball artstyle, which I'm not a fan of at all.

But she's still the only decent design to be introduced to dragon ball since the start of super. The current high bar for Super seems to be goku with pink hair according to a lot of people

LotusHD

Banned
Nah the problem is she is an android so why should she need glasses?

Why did an android want to become a park ranger?

Because he can.

---

Additionally, people wear glasses for style, and no evidence has been given to indicate that their eyesight has been improved anyhow, it's a weird thing to get flustered over.

Sn4ke_911

Why did an android want to become a park ranger?

Because he can.

That's not the same thing, you normally wear glasses to see better, her eyes should be completely fine since she isn't human.

Sn4ke_911

For the record i have no problem with her wearing glasses, i like it so don't jump on me, i'm just pointing out that most people's reason for not like her glasses seems because she doesn't need them.

Top Bottom