• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Games pressured The Sixth Axis to remove 3/10 score from NBA 2K18 review

NHale

Update 2

TheSixthAxis official statement and 3/10 was restored to the review.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2017/09/...a-2k18-review/

Yesterday afternoon, we found ourselves embroiled in a minor controversy surrounding one of our reviews, as I decided to adjust our NBA 2K18 review after it had been posted and temporarily remove the score, pending a statement from 2K about our complaints.

In our review, Aran raised the issue of the rate at which you can earn the game's Virtual Currency from play, how pervasive VC is through the game, and how this pushes you towards the microtransactions in a manner that seriously impacts the game.

Sadly, 2K have not been able to issue us a statement in a timely fashion and so we have now returned the 3/10 score to the bottom of our review, 24 hours after the review was originally posted.

So in retrospect, did I make a mistake in altering our published review? Possibly. Were there good reasons to change the review? Definitely. Most importantly, was this from undue publisher pressure? No.

The conclusion that was originally posted read, ”If you're a series fan you may enjoy what you see, and the score below doesn't indicate the quality of the core basketball game, but rather protests how utterly invasive the microtransactions have now become." To categorise our review and its score as a protest vote against 2K was wrong on a number of levels, and it was something I believed I had removed when editing. Evidently I didn't or didn't realise that my edits had not been submitted properly while travelling. Either way, it was largely for this reason that 2K's PR team got in touch after the review was published.

We give plenty of leeway to our reviewers, so if they reason their position well enough and it matches the score, then it will stand as is. In this case, Aran argued well enough for my liking that the balance between microtransaction and what you earn in game was dragging down the potential enjoyment for players. Whether entries have receive a 6/10 or a 9/10 in the past, it's been a consistent point that he's addressed in NBA 2K reviews for the last half decade, and it's exactly this point that I relayed to 2K when they contacted me.

Yes, they asked us to reconsider the score or shift to a ”review in progress", but I can't state strongly enough that there was no ”pressure" or threat of blacklisting made or even implied. If this were the case, the review would not be online, even without a score. However, the word ”protest" was still misplaced and needed to be removed, and it was while doing this that the olive branch of a statement surrounding planned changes and adjustments to NBA 2K18 was made. So I made the call to change the score to pending at the same time, get on my flight and hope for something remarkable when I landed.

While 2K are listening and reacting – they lowered the pricing of in game haircuts on Tuesday, for example – they still can't offer us specific information on or off the record about changes that are incoming. Hopefully they will be revealed soon, because as Aran wrote and as many people across Reddit, Twitter and NeoGAF agree that the demands of virtual currency and the push towards microtransactions in NBA 2K18 are currently too much.

In light of this, and as was always the most likely outcome, the 3/10 score has been restored to our review and the wording remains intact aside from the changes to the conclusion. We'll look to return to NBA 2K18 down the line to see if and how Visual Concept and 2K rebalance the currency and progression systems and we expect and hope to see significant improvements in this area. Needless to say, they're now very aware that players aren't happy, which is perhaps the best thing to come from all of this.

This hasn't been the most pleasant episode for anyone involved. It's nice to be the top story on Reddit and NeoGAF, but not for this and not with the maelstrom of speculation that has come with it. With hindsight, a number of things should have been done differently, and for that I sincerely apologise. We'll learn from these mistakes and do better in future.Update:

Apparently 2K hasn't pressured The Sixth Axis, they just ask them to reconsider the score. Nothing to see here folks, just a publisher asking a review site to change their score. Completely normal.

Update 1

Stefan L Community Team Since: May 2009

To be crystal clear, 2K haven't put pressure on us, they asked us to reconsider the score and questioned the use of the word ”protest" which is wrong in this context and completely on me. There's no worries about inappropriate blacklisting or anything like that. We're still waiting on the statement because they are trying to improve the balance, it's just whether or not they are prepared to reveal how they will be doing that, but we'll be returning a score and explaining what happened at 1 today. Appreciate the support. It's a bit of a faff...

Comment posted on 22/09/2017 at 11:35.

Original Post:

In today's "2K Sports keeps on digging" news:

Earlier today The Sixth Axis posted their review online for NBA 2K18 that gave the game a 3 out of 10 score and as expected it was based around the VC debacle and the fact that 2K 18 cripples a bunch of game modes unless you spend extra money in the game via VC.

But then something magic happened:

So according to Opencritic, TheSixthAxis game this game 3/10 because of microtransactions

But later the score disappeared

The Sixth Axis score is now Pending with the current note added to the review:

Update: In discussion with 2K Games, we've temporarily removed the score pending a statement with regard to our criticisms, at which point it will be reinstated. Additionally, a draft conclusion was posted that incorrectly characterised our score as a protest vote, and has been reworded to reflect that our criticisms are rooted in the effect that VC and microtransactions have on the gameplay.

Strangely enough 2K Games has not asked other outlets to remove their review scores even those that complained about VC as well but gave it a much better score. Pure coincidence I'm sure.

Plus we have the reviewer from The Sixth Axis posting here on GAF:

So in regards to the review 2K got in touch thus we at TSA have posted the following statement.

Update: In discussion with 2K Games, we've temporarily removed the score pending a statement with regard to our criticisms, at which point it will be reinstated. Additionally, a draft conclusion was posted that incorrectly characterised our score as a protest vote, and has been reworded to reflect that our criticisms are rooted in the effect that VC and microtransactions have on the gameplay.

Hello. Reviewer here. After review went live I've had no direct contact with 2K, instead their PR is chatting with my editor. All I know is that 2K are to issue a statement of some sort regarding issues raised in the review. Of course the real issue is what updates the 2K18's VC system gets.

Just think of this as a review now in progress. If things remain unchanged so will my opinion.

I'm not in direct contact with their PR department. Going through the site editor instead. Obviously ruffled quite a few feathers.

Blackmail me if old

Cubas

This is ridiculous from 2K, but TSA removing the score is also pretty bad. Sets a precedent and might encourage 2K to continue with this behaviour.

True Fire

I don't understand why they complied. There's no legal ground for 2k to stand on here is there?

No. But the games industry has an unhealthy relationship with review scores. It’s like the film industry on crack.

Direct a movie with 30% on Rotten Tomatoes? Here’s 150 million to direct another one! Direct a game with a 60% on metacritic? No bonus for you, and your career is in jeopardy.

2K is no different than any of the other terrible publishers like EA and WB. Vote with your wallet, but that's never happening because people just don't get bothered by them.

Fucking disgusting.
I don't understand why they complied. There's no legal ground for 2k to stand on here is there?

I'm sure they threatened to not send review copies/invites to press events and basically cut them off from the publisher if they didn't.

I'm glad that this whole VC BSis finally gettingsome mainstream atention. They have been doing it for years, yet they got a free pass until now. I'm surprised they haven't infested WWE 2K with this kind of crap yet.

OmegaFax

This is ridiculous from 2K, but TSA removing the score is also pretty bad. Sets a precedent and might encourage 2K to continue with this behaviour.

Criticism is criticism and backbone is backbone. 2K used semantics to call a review score one out of protest and The Sixth Axis complied. Doesn't look good for either of them.

I was young, stupid and got pressured into not running a story by Bioware/EA PR back in 2009 after we reached out to them for a statement. These guys really know how to dig in and bully.

I wish there was more of a support network for folks like TSA who do this maybe not as their primary career.

Dinjooh

Excellent tactic employed by 2K though.

Just make the negatve reviews go away for a little while when the game is releasing.

I'm gonna guess Streisand effect though.

dreamfall

Fucking Scum.

I hope this gets the attention it damn well deserves - the MT model in 2K is honestly one of the most pervasive and disgusting attempts to nickel and dime after dropping $60. The basketball game is solid and has gotten better as the franchise evolved, but the MyCareer mode is really destroyed by the grind.

jxN3

I think the only risk here is being blacklisted right?

I wonder if that means Take-Two as a whole, or just 2K..As a publication, missing out on early previews and review copies for something like Red Dead 2 would suck.

They are basically getting bullied, and it's fucking disgusting.

weekev

Banned
I'm ok with this if information has come to light that might negate the reason they gave a low score. If that information turns into a false promise reinstate the score.

ViciousDS

Banned
I think the only risk here is being blacklisted right?

I wonder if that means Take-Two as a whole, or just 2K..As a publication, missing out on early previews and review copies for something like Red Dead 2 would suck.

They are basically getting bullied, and it's fucking disgusting.

Would be awesome for some random mom and pop shop to step and start giving them early copies. This defending of publishers just to not get blacklisted is bullshit. Jontys review was legit and stands as to what he officially played at the time of the review

_Ryo_

That's very disgusting behavior from 2K. Also, I must admit I am very disappointed The Sixth Axis complied. Or is tentatively complying by changing it to a review in progress.

JP

I don't know.

I wonder if there could possibly be issues if 2K is claiming that they've said something which is untrue? I don't mean them saying "we don't like this" because that's always going to be a matter of opinion but maybe if they're claiming that there was factually incorrect information they may have removed it temporarily.

We don't really know what's happened but if 2K has involved their legal team then TSA could have good reason to consult with theirs. I know they've actually mentioned the PR team but without knowing what was claimed specifically it;s difficult assess the situation.

It's surprising though because you would expect specifics to have been checked by the reviewer and the editor before publication.

thumb

Banned
That's very disgusting behavior from 2K. Also, I must admit I am very disappointed The Sixth Axis complied. Or is tentatively complying by changing it to a review in progress.

Yeah, 2K is trying to manage their metacritic score and do what it takes to remove the lowest numbers. And TSA's response doesn't make a lot of sense. Even if their score were a "protest vote," it is still a legitimate response to the creeping fee-to-pay issues present in the game.

Can't do anything over a reviewers opinion other than don't feature it on your boxart also even if the game is trash 3/10 for a modern day 2K game is ridiculous

emperor_ing

Neo Member
Disgusting practice from 2K and makes me think that more publications should abolish review scores. They're meaningless and toxic to the industry.

My bet is the review is rewritten and it magically gets upgraded to an 8. Take Two as a whole publish some big games and TSA probably want the traffic from reviewing them.

-shadow-

So we have them: cheaping out on a decently sized Switch cartridge,have the game absolutely filled to the brim with ''''''''''micro''''''''''transactions and them pulling this stunt. Yeah, I don't see how one can defend this...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
BTW, there is a funny ad for NBA 2k18 and Mountain Dew promoting VC that showed up for me while in this thread. =P lol

FinalAres

It kinda sounds like they might change the game as a result. That'd be interesting.

I mean obviously that won't happen. But imagine.

It's a shame Take Two ended up vastly surpassing EA when it comes to how anti consumer of a publisher you can be. Yet they get 1% of the hate EA did in 2010.

And all of this will be forgiven when RDR comes out.

chitnex

I'm sure they threatened to not send review copies/invites to press events and basically cut them off from the publisher if they didn't.
Oh duh. That makes sense, I was thinking of 2k as only making basketball games when I said that. That would suck for them big time

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I’m strangely not opposed to stuff like this for ridiculous review scores.

I don’t even play 2K Sports games but I still fucking hate intentionally over the top low review scores.

I personally don’t feel microtransactions are a reason to give a review score normally reserved for broken games.

Umbooki

I blame Ronnie2k.*

This goes far above the head of a Community Manager, but fuck Ronnie.

3/10 is too low. Save that score for a busted game that barely functions. 2K18 is a fun basketball experience with greedy microtransactions.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Disgusting move on 2K's part.

But disappointing and cowardly of TSA to remove the score.

Stand up for the review. No, you don't negotiate or discuss the score with 2K. At all. If they threaten to blacklist you, make it as public as possible. It would only backfire on 2K.

ZeoVGM

Banned

I don’t even play 2K Sports games but I still fucking hate intentionally over the top low review scores.

I personally don’t feel microtransactions are a reason to give a review score normally reserved for broken games.

Well, they absolutely are a reason if they hurt the game as much as they are here.

The score is deserved.

I do play 2K Sports games. They SIGNIFICANTLY decrease my enjoyment of the game.

Top Bottom