• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IDC: Sony shipped more than 500,000 headsets in the three months through June

8bitghost

Virtual reality products once again made up more than 98% of shipments in the combined AR/VR market. On the VR side, screenless viewers accounted for over half of all the headset shipments during the quarter. Tethered VR headsets captured 43%, up from the 34% in the previous quarter, driven in large part to Sony's ongoing success with the PlayStation VR and Oculus increasing shipment volumes thanks to price cuts. Meanwhile, in the still very small AR headset segment, shipments actually declined year over year as several consumer-focused products with big launches last year failed to sustain their volumes a year later.

Demand for Sony's PSVR remained unmatched amongst the top tier of tethered headsets. The launch of Farpoint along with the VR aim controller combined with some sustained demand for Resident Evil 7 boded well for Sony.
Worldwide Shipments of AR/VR Headsets Maintain Solid Growth Trajectory in the Second Quarter (via Reuters)

Steady growth all around.

artsi

That's pretty good, can't wait to see where VR is in a few years. Better headsets, better controllers, enough market share to warrant higher budget games, etc.

Loudninja

Not bad, not bad. VR is definitely a slow burn now, but give it some time before it goes completely wireless with better FoV/Resolution and I think you'll see it explode. Timing right now before the future wave of headsets is good for devs - better understanding of what to do and not do so when those improvements hit, the teething phase is mostly done and they can focus on experiences over experimenting.

Soon it'll be time for a new COLONY WARS!

Gonna buy Farpoint and aim controller soon, hyped as f* but not sure I have enough room to enjoy it to its fullest.

gtj1092

Oh wow thought I heard they were only selling 30K a month WW. As more and more games keep getting announced I get more tempted to buy one. But I want a pro for MHW. Decisions.

Felensis

Banned
Good news and I'm happy for PS VR's success even though Andrew House isn't :D
Tried it first two years ago at Gamescom, then back in January '17 when my brother got it and last month I've finally jumped in, too. A friend of mine got it then just a day after he tried it at my home :)

It's a great tech and I can't wait to see what's coming up in VR in the future!

KORNdoggy

there seems to be a really steady supply of games for it too, which bodes well. i just wish sony themselves were making more of them. i get the impression they might end up treating it like the vita after a year or so, where they just stop making games for it and let third party bring the content. which isn't necessarily a bad thing, my favorite games on PSVR are third party, but it just shows a lack of confidence in their product.

It's my next big purchase. Holiday season I am going to be looking at a Pro, or a VR kit, or maybe both. I reeealllllly want it. The shoddy VR on my phone is incredible to me. Can't wait to try a full fledged VR game.

No, mainly because i'm terrible with motion sickness. Don't know if id make it through, lol.

You really should.

There are loads of stationary VR games where motion sickness should never be an issue.

Even with the games that do involve movement, it's possible to increase your tolerance over time.

Good. It's a great device.
Now please give me a release date for DREAMS and put some fire under ArtDink to make a new VR Aquanaut's Holiday! I want to swim VR style with the fishies!

Woooo, ok then. I thought for a minute these were really solid numbers and a good sign for the future of PSVR moving forward..

But just shipped? This is nothing, non story, move along. Thanks for the update ;)

Should someone get a mod to close the thread then?

hesido

I've got them moneys to buy but I couldn't test it anywhere. If it's blurry like the first Oculus prototype, which I paid a small amount to test twice at different spots, it would be a no go.

I'm told, of course it's much better than that, but I still need to test it and where I live, this is probably impossible. Hopefully some internet cafe may buy it some day and I could test it for a small fee.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
PC VR is really going to have to lower their prices next gen. Going wireless is almost a necessity too. If PSVR2 is a full roomscale headset, hooboy its going to get interesting in the VR space.

Right now the only reason PSVR doesn't have the catalog of HTC Vive or Oculus is the lack of roomscale.

MattAces

I've got them moneys to buy but I couldn't test it anywhere. If it's blurry like the first Oculus prototype, which I paid a small amount to test twice at different spots, it would be a no go.

I'm told, of course it's much better than that, but I still need to test it and where I live, this is probably impossible. Hopefully some internet cafe may buy it some day and I could test it for a small fee.

So where are you from?
There's a lot of roadshows worldwide, many on going in EU/US.

kyser73

That comment further confirms my theory that House is still lukewarm on VR. A review of his responses to PSVR-related questions are generally bland PR stuff, and he just doesn't seem to be as committed as Shu or Layden to the idea.

Really good news on the sales front, though. Might actually see some proper advertising for it going into Xmas, plus some keenly priced bundles.

mckmas8808

Banned
Not bad, not bad. VR is definitely a slow burn now, but give it some time before it goes completely wireless with better FoV/Resolution and I think you'll see it explode. Timing right now before the future wave of headsets is good for devs - better understanding of what to do and not do so when those improvements hit, the teething phase is mostly done and they can focus on experiences over experimenting.

That's at least 10 years away.

Playing in VR gives me feels I haven't felt since gaming first went 3d.

I just want to play everything in VR, any genre, whatever. It's so fresh.

Nikodemos

By reading between House's sentences, one can deduce he's unhappy with how slowly Sony's rivals have been W.R.T. expansion.
Sony's strategy with the PSVR is to push it as a cheaper yet still adequate alternative to expensive PCVR, but with PCVR doing badly, they're doing badly by knock-on effect (since there simply aren't enough people who say "I want a Vive but can't afford it, so I'll get this Pro VR bundle instead").
Moreover, the lukewarm demand is affecting component prices, or, rather, not affecting them, in that they remain higher than the average cost/demand curve for electronic components.
And another issue, the relatively low market penetration makes small-to-mid tier developers not gamble on software, causing most VR games (not including VR remasters) to be on the simpler end, experience-wise. This in turn decreases the value proposition of acquiring the device.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
WTF at House's comments? Why on earth would you say something like that about a very successful platform that your company is making money on?

And this is through a PR filter. These are the same guys that polish BOHICA turds like F2P models on premium games as some amazing compassion by "giving players more choice".

Top Bottom