• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do japanese like listening to anime with foreign dubs as much as we do?

Like how many foreigners love the normal japanese voices in anime, maybe because it's foreign to us and sounds cool. How do japanese think of it compared to english/spanish dubs?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'd imagine many of them don't care about watching in english/spanish.

If they're curious they probably just look up videos online about character voice comparisons from different countries.

What? Wouldn't the equivalent be listening to American cartoons in english rather than dubbed in Japanese?

Why would they listen to their own media dubbed in a foreign language?!

Anime is actually dubbed in English originally because it sounds cooler to them. Then when it's brought to the west we dub it in Japanese.

Jakten

I wonder how they prefer to watch non-Japanese cartoons. When I was there all the Cartoon Network DVDs advertised with dubs and all foreign shows I saw on TV were also dubbed (I do know this isn't always the case). When ever I see people sharing clips of Cartoon Network shows on social media they are dubbed in Japanese as well. I get the feeling they don't care as much as here.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Anime is actually dubbed in English originally because it sounds cooler to them. Then when it's brought to the west we dub it in Japanese.

giphy.webp

Watching anime with subs and original VA seems to be largely a result of the American fetishization of Japanese culture, so probably not.

Cartoons and anime are largely seen as being for small children in Japan, so no that is not a product they would want to put out with subtitles as the assumption is that the young audience will not want to read. Thus, dubbed in Japanese.

Aizo

Banned
I've never met a Japanese person who does this as far as I know. I know many Japanese people who watch foreign things dubbed into Japanese. Most popular foreign movies still go into theaters with dub and sub options.

I can't imagine they watch their own shows in a different language, what's even the point? When it comes to our stuff though I'm sure there are probably some that prefer watching it with English VA, I hear listening to the OG voice track is pretty normal outside of the US.

Movie theaters will often show two versions of foreign movies. One with the original language with Japanese subs and the other dubbed in Japanese. The dubs usually have big names doing the VO and are more popular version. I'm basing all of this on my own personal experience. English versions of movies had either mid day or light night showings where as the dubs played all day.

Some tv channels let you switch language audio with the click of your remote for certain foreign TV shows and NHK news broadcasts. NHK also has translators who translate live news broadcasts in real time.

Gulz1992

Weren't the final mix versions of Kingdom Hearts voiced in English, but initially Japanese subs only? I guess they do a little.
Yeah, I think I recall an interview with Nomura in which he said that the Japanese fans like listening to the English versions, partly because it helps them with learning how to speak English.

Big One

Banned
I generally prefer viewing things in their original form no matter what language it is, and anime is no different. Never been a fan of the dubbing process. I get why it exists, but to me the original product + translation aka subtitles in most cases is always the best way to experience things.

Only weebs hate dubs. Most people like to hear media in their native language.

I'll watch an anime dubbed or subbed, doesn't really matter to me. I can understand why people in the past didn't like dubs, but now they're pretty decent. Anyway, I think it's hard to judge voice performance without understanding the language.

I generally prefer viewing things in their original form no matter what language it is, and anime is no different. Never been a fan of the dubbing process. I get why it exists, but to me the original product + translation aka subtitles in most cases is always the best way to experience things.

Why don't you like the process?

Watching anime with subs and original VA seems to be largely a result of the American fetishization of Japanese culture, so probably not.

Yeah, this is how it always feels. Dubs are perfectly fine when done well (which most anime dubs are nowadays) and I'm sure the original VA would feel just as exaggerated if you were a native speaker. Any nuance that's lost with a dub would probably be lost on subs anyways without putting silly translator's notes or just straight up badly written subs.

Strimei

Are you asking if Japanese people like watching anime with an English dub? Why would they do that?

Could be for various reasons. Maybe they want to hear english in a way to get acclimated to it better? When I was learning spanish, I'd often watch or listen to things in spanish just so I could get used to how things were said, even if I didn't understand.

And yes, I have heard that some do. Not a huge amount probably but I've heard various things, like how some Japanese fans of Code Geass prefer Lelouch's dub voice (Johnny Yong Bosch) to the Japanese VA (Jun Fukuyama).

Jakten

No because the Japanese can voice act.

Most of the voice actors who voice anime voice american cartoons as well and those are fine. It's not that they can't act it's that the anime was planned around the way Japanese people speak and everything that entails. They have to translate a sentence into a rhythm and time frame that doesn't always suit English in a natural way. At least when they hire good voice actors this is the case.

Big One

Banned
Why don't you like the process?
Because when you're viewing the visual aspects in conjunction with the sound and it's dubbed over with a language it was never designed for, it doesn't really reflect the original intent of the product you're viewing. When you watch an anime subbed for example, you're viewing the original, unaltered product meant for their audience in addition to subtitles to translate things for you. I want to see THAT product, the artists' intent. I feel the same way about foreign movies as well. I've watched tons of foreign movies throughout my life ranging from German, Korean, French, Spanish, the works. I want to view how the product is intended.

I've never met a Japanese person who does this as far as I know. I know many Japanese people who watch foreign things dubbed into Japanese. Most popular foreign movies still go into theaters with dub and sub options.
In Japan, which is more dominant; foreign movies with subs or foreign movies with dubs?

Because when you're viewing the visual aspects in conjunction with the sound and it's dubbed over with a language it was never designed for, it doesn't really reflect the original intent of the product you're viewing. When you watch an anime subbed for example, you're viewing the original, unaltered product meant for their audience in addition to subtitles to translate things for you. I want to see THAT product, the artists' intent. I feel the same way about foreign movies as well. I've watched tons of foreign movies throughout my life ranging from German, Korean, French, Spanish, the works. I want to view how the product is intended.

But you're not going to really see that product because you don't speak their language and understand all of the little nuances. Subs have the same problems as dubs in that regard. If you do understand Japanese or German or whatever, great, but if not, you're not getting the artist's full intent.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I like to watch cartoons in a language I understand. I assume most of them are the same way.

Big One

Banned
But you're not going to really see that product because you don't speak their language and understand all of the little nuances. Subs have the same problems as dubs in that regard. If you do understand Japanese or German or whatever, great, but if not, you're not getting the artist's full intent.
I'm aware of that but subs are essentially the closest option.

The product isn't intended with subtitles, and if you want to go with that, the best way to experience it would be to understand the language of what you're watching. You have no idea if the subtitles you're using are even accurate, if there's a particular reference to what someone is saying or anything like that. You're not watching it as it was intended unless you understand that language.

Here's an example from the most recent episode of Dragon Ball Super. There's an enemy called Maji Kayo, which can be translated as "Seriously/Are you serious"? If you don't speak Japanese you'd have no way of knowing that the enemy's name is a joke. So are you telling me you're getting the same experience as a Japanese viewer, especially since the subtitles don't explain this situation?

I'm aware of that but subs are essentially the closest option.

Closer, but not by much. It's still being filtered through people. I don't think it's a question of being accurate, but being faithful. FLCL has a joke about some obscure Japanese drink, but that would be lost on Western audiences. So in the dub, they use Crystal Pepsi. Same joke, same intent, different items.

Big One

Banned
The product isn't intended with subtitles, and if you want to go with that, the best way to experience it would be to understand the language of what you're watching. You have no idea if the subtitles you're using are even accurate, if there's a particular reference to what someone is saying or anything like that. You're not watching it as it was intended unless you understand that language.

Here's an example from the most recent episode of Dragon Ball Super. There's an enemy called Maji Kayo, which can be translated as "Seriously/Are you serious"? If you don't speak Japanese you'd have no way of knowing that the enemy's name is a joke. So are you telling me you're getting the same experience as a Japanese viewer, especially since the subtitles don't explain this situation?
I'm aware of all of these issues, but the dubbing process doesn't particularly fix this either so I'm not sure what you're point is or why it's "better' to view it dubbed.

I think foreign languages are inherently cooler for everyone. The CoD WWII Japanese dub is much cooler for example despite making no sense.

Top Bottom