• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marseille mCable HDMI Cable with inline anti-aliasing

why not try the less expensive Seiki or Philips cables?

I'm thinking I'll take a punt on the Seiki one.

Definitely let me know how that goes for you! The fact that this cable works at all astounds me. I would need to see someone with as much expertise as LTT tell me that it doesn't introduce horrendous input lag before I spend money on one of these.

Peterthumpa

These look extremely impressive, but 120 bucks is a hard sell. If this ever drops down to 50-60 bucks I will buy it instantly mainly for use with my Switch.

I remember in the Linus Tech Tips video he said there was some wonkiness with 4k. Do you guys know how well this plays with the Switch on a 4K TV?
My TV is a 4K TV, I had absolutely no issues at all.

Peterthumpa

I’d really like to see what this thing does for 1080p PS4 titles. Games that didn’t get a PRO 4K patch.
I'll try to test some titles later tonight (Australia time). Tried it with Bloodborne and got some nice results overall. Still need to try Driveclub and a bunch of others.

Afrikan

I'll try to test some titles later tonight (Australia time). Tried it with Bloodborne and got some nice results overall. Still need to try Driveclub and a bunch of others.

yes please...

I'm also curious to see how it works for the VR version.

f@luS

More than a member.
I’d really like to see what this thing does for 1080p PS4 titles. Games that didn’t get a PRO 4K patch.
Ps4 pro still upscale to basic 2160p so it wouldn’t work much ?

Buying it for switch and will check for pro and Xbox One x as soon as it’s available. But it looks mostly good for switch

Reallink

These look extremely impressive, but 120 bucks is a hard sell. If this ever drops down to 50-60 bucks I will buy it instantly mainly for use with my Switch.

I remember in the Linus Tech Tips video he said there was some wonkiness with 4k. Do you guys know how well this plays with the Switch on a 4K TV?

The TV doesn't matter, having a 4K source is where you'll run into problems. If you're using it on a Switch the cable will only see and send 1080p which will work fine on any TV (4K or otherwise). Issues would arise if you tried to run it into Pro, One X, or PC, which output 4K. Setting them to 1080p would work fine though.

Felipepl's Switch results are impressive, I'm intrigued by the cheaper Seiki or Philips variants and whether or not they're the same thing. Felipepl since you're the resident expert, would you be opposed to buying one of them off Amazon and comparing the results, then just returning it? If you're still within your Marsielle return window and they happened to duplicate the results, maybe you could return it instead and save yourself $100+.

JayBabay

Well, loss of detail is pretty contingent on what you're feeding to the cable. The way that it smooths things out seems to vary from game to game. In some games, you get a smeary look that is similar to what games like Skyward Sword or Breath of the Wild look like. It is reminiscent of heavy DNR that was used on older blurays to eliminate grain. It really seems to vary either how much it's applied or how noticeable it is.

I've got more photos of what the cable does in a review I did. Available at this link (no ads).

Other than that, the cable does wonders. I've been testing the cable for a while now and even I'm shocked at how great those Switch screenshots look.

Thanks, I'll check out your review, noticed some comparison pics on their as well which makes it all the better.

Peterthumpa

The TV doesn't matter, having a 4K source is where you'll run into problems. If you're using it on a Switch the cable will only see and send 1080p which will work fine on any TV (4K or otherwise). Issues would arise if you tried to run it into Pro, One X, or PC, which output 4K. Setting them to 1080p would work fine though.

Felipepl's Switch results are impressive, I'm intrigued by the cheaper Seiki or Philips variants and whether or not they're the same thing. Felipepl since you're the resident expert, would you be opposed to buying one of them off Amazon and comparing the results, then just returning it? If you're still within your Marsielle return window and they happened to duplicate the results, maybe you could return it instead and save yourself $100+.
The thing is that there's no Amazon in Australia so that would take a lot of time and I'd probably have to pay a not so cheap shipping to send it back. Also, not sure if Marseille has a return policy.

This review (and the comments) seems to suggest that other solutions and the first gen Marseille mCable (which is the one used in his review) were pretty bad compared to what I'm getting now.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...ille_mcable_and_seiki_uvision_cables_and_how/

So yeah, maybe for now this is the only good solution available in the market.

Lylo

I'm really impressed with the results i've seen on this thread, the only thing that's holding me back is the price. I'm gonna wait (and pray) for a price drop.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I got mine yesterday and this cable is LEGIT!

I have a 65’ Samsung KU63000 4K TV and aliasing was pretty visible with Switch games. No more :)

Fifa18 is quite striking in that regard, incredible results in this game. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe provides just as good results, absolutely incredible upgrade.

Zelda does look a bit more cartoony; nothing wrong with that it’s magnificent with this artstyle, but when I read snake oil few posts above, I got a bit of this impression. So, for this game I increased sharpness on my TV settings from 10 to 30 and it looked perfect.

It just works, I’m a happy geek. I’ll post pictures soon of games not represented in this thread: Fifa18, Bomberman, Overcooked, NBA2K18 and Mario Odyssey this weekend :)

f@luS

More than a member.
I got mine yesterday and this cable is LEGIT!

I have a 65’ Samsung KU63000 4K TV and aliasing was pretty visible with Switch games. No more :)

Fifa18 is quite striking in that regard, incredible results in this game. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe provides just as good results, absolutely incredible upgrade.

Zelda does look a bit more cartoony; nothing wrong with that it’s magnificent with this artstyle, but when I read snake oil few posts above, I got a bit of this impression. So, for this game I increased sharpness on my TV settings from 10 to 30 and it looked perfect.

It just works, I’m a happy geek. I’ll post pictures soon of games not represented in this thread: Fifa18, Bomberman, Overcooked, NBA2K18 and Mario Odyssey this weekend :)
Glad I ordered mine. For the switch as well

Now what about these cheaper Seiki ou Philips One ?
Obviously not for playing on Xbox One x or ps4 pro but I’m interested in these cheaper models for the psvr

RRR

I thought ARMS actually had anti-aliasing but the screens posted here show an improvement regardless. Am I mistaken?

Need DF to make a video on the cable!

f@luS

More than a member.
Well I ordered the Seiki one as well for my psvr. Will receive both this and the mcable gaming shortly and will compare them

Not sure what using Graphic Synthesizer Mode Selector means, but the images I took are from a real PS2 being fed through an OSSC to get a 480p HDMI signal using bob deinterlacing.

The ps2 is capable of scaling most non field rendered games to 480p 576p 720p 1080I and 1080p.
No clue why sony didn't use it for the majority of games.

It isn't an improvement on it's own, worse in most cases, especially when using a crt. But beneficial if using a flat panel display as the scaling is done on the graphic synthesizer in the ps2.

The way I understand it, is taking a frame buffer of whatever size and cropping the borders to fit whatever the canvas is. In other words take a 640x448 image in Photoshop and blow it up to 1920x1080 along with some tweaking so it's not offset or stretched to bad. Then output that to the screen, or in this case the processing unit in the cable.

f@luS

More than a member.
Great idea
well. My mistake. Seiki One doesn’t ship to France. So I ordered the Philips one which is the same as Seiki one

I intend to use the mcable gaming for the switch
Philips one for the psvr

But I’ll try both , for both situation as well

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
There are two marseille cables, the video one and the gaming M cable one...on the surface it seems like they do the same thing, but the video one is cheaper....what's the difference and are the interchangeable(IE can i still use the video one on gaming content and get a better picture)

f@luS

More than a member.
There are two marseille cables, the video one and the gaming M cable one...on the surface it seems like they do the same thing, but the video one is cheaper....what's the difference and are the interchangeable(IE can i still use the video one on gaming content and get a better picture)
There is explicit (or not much ) difference video on YouTube. Gaming on do a better not blurry AA it’looks Like. Both are good it if you go for normal one , look for Seiki or Philips, much cheaper.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
did a quick comparison in FIFA 18 on Switch. As the pause menu obstructs the field, I couldn’t get cleaner shots: players are always moving so it’s not the exact same scene, but you’ll get the idea:

1.Traditional HDMI cable:
Wb54nSS.jpg

Look at the aliasing on the arms on my 4K TV.

2. Marseille mCable gaming:

No more aliasing in my FIFA :)

As a side note, I plugged the cable on my TV and my receiver, so that my SNES, Wii U and Switch can benefit from it, and it works.

Thanks. That is quite the rabbit hole. Will look into it if I ever decide to mod my PS2.

You can always soft mod. Doesn't require any hardware modification of the console. Can't really discuss the details here but it's pretty simple. Just need a few things from a few places.

Okada

I've just ordered the Phillips one.

I'll do some comparisons of similar screens that have been posted in here for people to see over the next couple of days.

Lylo

Don't Receivers and TV's have this feature built in? Still a cool idea though.

Some of them kinda have something similar, but it is mostly post-processing that adds tons of input lag. The manufacturer of this cable claims that it adds no lag.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
This stuff is legit. Any way to get this cable in Europe? I see Amazon.de only has the normal cable, not the gaming edition. :(

Leatherface

did a quick comparison in FIFA 18 on Switch. As the pause menu obstructs the field, I couldn’t get cleaner shots: players are always moving so it’s not the exact same scene, but you’ll get the idea:

1.Traditional HDMI cable:

Look at the aliasing on the arms on my 4K TV.

2. Marseille mCable gaming:

No more aliasing in my FIFA :)

As a side note, I plugged the cable on my TV and my receiver, so that my SNES, Wii U and Switch can benefit from it, and it works.

Son of a bitch. Now I need to get it. Gah!!

their marketing bullshots look way too good to be true -

That Uncharted one especially looks far too good.

This is definitely a purchase however if it has a reasonable solution without introducing input lag

Very interesting but need confirmation of efficacy

f@luS

More than a member.
Can’t wait to get mine for the switch. And I’m curious for the Philips one regarding psvr. Not very expensive and people claim it’s very good for VR (look upscale hdmi câble psvr on google )

For the one asking I ordered mine in EU on the official site. Already sent

I have a request,

If you have a WiiU, could you put in something like Xenoblade Chronicles (The Wii game) and compare shots from that?

Something like Metroid Prime Trilogy would work as well. It's harder to tell in the Skyward Sword shots.

Also, do you HAVE to set the WiiU output to 480p for this to work? You can't just set the output to 1080p and then plug it in?

Top Bottom