• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Analyst: Switch US retail SW on pace to be biggest Nintendo launch year on record

Cerium

https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/913408935377248256

Mat Piscatella‏ @MatPiscatella

Switch US physical SW sales are on pace to be the biggest ever for a Nintendo platform launch year since '95, by a fairly large margin.
https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/913414834821222401

Mat Piscatella‏ @MatPiscatella 48s49 seconds ago
Replying to @MatPiscatella

Tracking began in 1995... and SW means Software.

Update:

I'm fairly confident even time aligned Switch will be right up there with or exceed the other platforms. And this is just physical. Add digital and I'm very confident. Time will tell I guess.

source.gif

FelipeMGM

this is nuts. Even though Nintendo digital share is not that big compared to other platforms, thats still an option that wasnt around for most of the other launches.

Congrats to Nintendo on the huge success so far, its very exciting for everybody

NolbertoS

SNES like levels again. Eh. Hope we get memorable RPGs during that era. Need more Atlus, NISA, and Falcom games. I’ve given up on SE bringing back quality RPGs to Switch other than FF and DQ

Makes sense, Switch is a goddamn beast right now with new releases. 18 titles being released on the system THIS WEEK alone.

Dynomutt

Yup. 3 people at work were talking about it and Super Mario Odyssey. I still need Golden Sun before I make a purchase.

emb

I'm surprised the Wii didn't already break whatever record that is. I guess most people just bought the thing and played Wii Sports.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Ok, now this is the thread where people can do that whole "well, yeah, cause there's no software to buy" thing and I won't get all pissy about it.

Is it just the calendar year? It's no surprise the Switch is doing well but if it's just calendar year it's a little misleading since

N64 NA release date: 9/29
GC: 11/18
Wii: 11/19
Wii U: 11/18

All other launches were much later in the year.

Is it just the calendar year? It's no surprise the Switch is doing well but if it's just calendar year it's a little misleading since

I think this might also be including handhelds as they said Nintendo platform as opposed to Nintendo console

I'm surprised the Wii didn't already break whatever record that is. I guess most people just bought the thing and played Wii Sports.

Matt specified that this means calendar year- Wii launched in November, whereas Switch launched in March.

Still impressive, but I'd hazard a guess that the Wii's SW sales for the first six months eclipse the Switch's.

WestEgg

I note the use of "platform" and not console... so the Switch is tracking better than the original DS? Whoa mama...

wrowa

Wii released in November, Switch in March. We’re comparing 2 months of sales with 9 months of sales, so it‘s not exactly an even comparison.

Vena

1995 is when tracking began, and SW stands for Software.

Calendar year.

So this looks even better with the slew of untracked indies/digital? Will be curious to find out some numbers on that end with the way Nintendo has been courting some indies.

Includes portables, not just consoles. But yeah, calendar year.

noshten

Expected result, I definitely think Nintendo will ship much more than 10 million for the FY. It's still on course of getting to 5 million this year in NA.

I'm extremely curious how this would look if you include download only titles too... C'mon Nintendo, put those in your next earnings report!

That's ridiculously impressive. Wii had a lot more software at retail.

Switch is really moving software.

Yeah, Switch really does not have much in the way of retail software. Especially compared to the Wii. Seriously impressive.

Makes sense, Switch is a goddamn beast right now with new releases. 18 titles being released on the system THIS WEEK alone.

Only one of which (I believe) is a packaged retail game. Which is what makes this all the more impressive.

Top Bottom