• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 on Switch accounted for 1% of all UK physical copies sold

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
at6VRMH.png

Twitt.

Flop or not?

Edit:

Maybe put this in the OP for context. 1% of total sales is still #7 on individual SKUs.

LzAwRDd.png

Zedark

Doesn't sound like a lot. Do we know the install base for PS4 and XB1, btw? I think it being a flop depends on how close the attach rate is.

Edit: Also, amazon is out of stock, so maybe they were expecting even less?

For context, the Switch version of FIFA is currently sold out at Amazon UK, with a new shipment due next week. Subsequently, this may be a supply issue, rather than a demand issue.

I think there were some problems with delivery. At least Amazon send out emails.
I feel like availability is an issue here. Some retailers seemed to be out of stock and I've noticed the product page even removed from at least one (Very).

Coupled with the enormous quantities sold on PS4 and Xbox One, of course.

Yeah, there were stocking issues at Amazon, but it was available everywhere else. I don't think Amazon is even used as a source for the UK charts. It was fully available in Tesco, Argos, GAME etc.

Bumhead

Banned
I feel like availability is an issue here. Some retailers seemed to be out of stock and I've noticed the product page even removed from at least one (Very).

Coupled with the enormous quantities sold on PS4 and Xbox One, of course.

dno_1966

Not that surprising, FIFA is massive here, especially on PS4/XBox, still a bit disappointing but hopefully EA can build a bit of profile on nintendo moving forward

Stygr

Banned
I don't think it's a "FLOP", i mean, FIFA is popular on PS4/One, even the PC version in term of sales can't compare to the console.

Also, we need to know, how many copies EA shipped, if they sold all the copies that's not a flop.

I'm not remotely surpised to hear there's a huge base of FIFA fans who are fine with playing the last gen versions of new FIFA long after next gen is ongoing.

gtj1092

I thought the sales of games doubled when released on switch?

Cue the UK hates Nintendo and EA screwed up post.

ZeroX03

Banned
I can't find exact sales numbers on the series, but it's bigger than CoD, so 1% of sales on a supply constrained system for a seemingly supply constrained game might actually make EA happy as they suggested?

If it's the same ratio worldwide, and they sell like 10 million, that's still 100k on a new system without an established fanbase.

R.D.Blax

I'm in France, and I went to get my Snes Classic pre order, I couldn't find Fifa switch on display at all, almost like it wasn't released along side the other version. It was really weird

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Talking about 10,000 copies, roughly.

If this is correct and looking at the recent first week sales for important Switch games in UK ( ranging between 12k and 17k) I would say that this is pretty decent result. Considering the stock issues at amazon.co.uk too.

oti

Banned
If the UK is anything like Germany I wouldn't be surprised. I've seen plenty of 360 and PS3 copies out in the wild and not a single Switch copy.

Zalman

Ultimately it comes down to EA's expectations. There seems to have been stock issues which suggests it might have done better than they thought, but it's too early to say.

Yeah, there were stocking issues at Amazon, but it was available everywhere else. I don't think Amazon is even used as a source for the UK charts. It was fully available in Tesco, Argos, GAME etc.

Ah, okay. So it did not sell that well I see. And please, no "but digital".

Edit: Someone have the split from last year?

SgtCobra

I expected something low but not this low, damn, I expect the digital numbers to be better.

Portability is not a big factor for most people who buy and play FIFA games.

Talking about 10,000 copies, roughly.

Yeah, and even then they couldn't meet the demand.

I don't think it means anything at this point. Switch install rate is very small, the game wasn't available in supermarkets for the most part, and people are gonna be buying it to play online with their mates - that means you need whole groups of friends with Switches, not just one person, and then it turns out you can't play online with your friends anyway. Then there's the fact that there were no reviews and basically no indication of the quality of the game pre-release at all.

A lot of copies of FIFA were sold in console bundles as well, there were no deals on the individual game but there were tons on bundles - no Switch bundles though.

This was never gonna sell gangbusters, but FIFA 19 would be a better indicator, unless they just immediately shift to Vita-mode.

Nintendo better doing some handshake deals with EA. The mind share for the Switch version barely existed.

Outsold by the Xbox 360 version...
However, the Xbox 360 has an insanely big install base in the UK (10 million!), which is bigger than PS4 and Xbox One. Apparently, a lot of sports gamers on 360 still haven't switched to current-gen.

That's nonsense. The Xbox 360 has a share of 1% of the FIFA sales. The system isn't relevant anymore.

How big is the UK's population compared to China though? Because if it's anything similar then 1% is actually pretty good.

ksamedi

Been following the Amazon charts and the UK is the only country where i didnt see it crack the top 50 regularly. In Spain in was top 20 pretty much the whole month of september which makes me think it did better in other countries.

Shiggy

Doesn't sound like a lot. Do we know the install base for PS4 and XB1, btw? I think it being a flop depends on how close the attach rate is.

Edit: Also, amazon is out of stock, so maybe they were expecting even less?

Looks like other retailers (GAME, Tesco, Zavvi, The Hut, Nintendo Online Store, John Lewis, Smyths) all have it in stock both online and, where applicable, in stores. Might have been just Amazon underestimating demand.

If the UK is anything like Germany I wouldn't be surprised. I've seen plenty of 360 and PS3 copies out in the wild and not a single Switch copy.

The German Switch version hasn't been released yet, no copies have been shipped to stores. Estimated release is October 5 now.

EA sent it out to die. It wasn't even well stocked at major retailers like supermarkets or Amazon.

From the Amazon UK Store page the week of launch:

Note: Please note, due to stock limitations from the supplier we are unable to deliver any further orders of FIFA 18 - Nintendo Switch for release date. We expect to deliver orders placed today by October 13th, and will confirm an exact release date as soon as possible. If you've already placed an order for this product please check ”My Orders" to confirm your expected delivery date.

Might also explain why some retailers - despite having shelves dedicated to Switch - were only advertising the game for release on PS4 and One. Might check to see whether I can even find a copy in-store this week.

How is switch doing in the UK overall?

It's doing well, but PS4 is still outselling it. So not as well as in the US of A.

DS and Wii were absolutely massive in the UK, but other Nintendo consoles not so much. NES was barely existent in the UK, with C64 and ZX Spectrum ruling the roost. And Megadrive outsold SNES, with both having fierce competition from the Amiga. So you have to understand that the same level of Nintendo nostalgia just doesn't exist in the UK.

Top Bottom