• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 years later, how would you rate GTA V Online's free DLC?

On October 1st 2013, GTA V got it's online mode. Barely anyone could play it in the first week but that's beside the point. :p

Since then, there's been a bunch of dlc to the game. Most notably heists but also cunning stunts where people can design their own racetracks, holiday themed modes, coop missions, etc.

And of course new vehicles, weapons, living spaces, and cosmetics.

So, how would you guys rate it?

Gamegeneral

It all sounds good on paper, but the problem is, if you don't make it to at least several million dollars, tons of that content is locked off, and behind a *lot* of grind. The base game is fun, but a lot of the multiplayer activities aren't exactly winners.

Don't get me started on the shark cards, either.

7/10 fun with a consistent group.

arcticice

Heists is where the game shone. I had a blast playing them with my friends. Some PvP modes are great as well, and the community made deathmatches are always fun to play. I have over 500 hours in GTA Online alone, and it is the only online game i have played, so i would rate it 10/10

None of it was good enough for me to sit through the loading times, shitty lag and all the menus and lobbies you had to sit through to do anything. Awful online implementation.

The online is an unbalanced mess, to obtain anything worthy you need to grind so many hours. The open world section is really toxic unless you make yourself invulnerable, but that also makes it devoid of any fun - may as well stay single player. When played with friends it's cool. Some of the minigames like the driving ones can be fun, but overall I think the whole of GTA Online is built upon a broken premise. And that's not to mention the connection issues, the load times and such. Most updates would be solid, except the high quality cars or items require crazy money which you either buy using real money or die grinding for, and by the time you get them they're obsolete.

bosseye

Load times were a killer. It felt like I spent more time looking at loading screens than doing anything fun. The free roam stuff, when it all came together was hilarious, myself and 3 friends occasionally had an absolute blast, but most of the time were struggling to get anything amusing going.

Cunning Stunts was diverting for a bit, but not a mode to keep coming back to. Heists were fun but needed a proper team to work well

My big issue was how long it took to accumulate anything, I basically stayed as a total scrub with one shitty garage, one pair of hamburger pants and a couple of cheap cars as it took so long to get the money required for anything better if you didn't play a lot.

alexbull_uk

The only time I really had any fun was when some random modder added $100m to my bank account. The game is actually great when you have obscene amounts of cash.

If you’re just a ‘normal’ occasional player? It’s been pretty terrible. Every patch just adds more stuff you know you’ll never see.

Which is?

Having to grind crazy amounts of time to own properties, cars, weapons, when you can also get them immediately with real money. Stuff like this shouldn't be in a full priced triple-A game, it's cancerous enough in Facebook games. Also, this "own all" mentality translates poorly into the actual open world gameplay, because a newcomer will get destroyed in a tenth of a second the moment he gets close to the BAMF with the chopper, bazooka, tank or whatever. It's passable on private servers with friends. And it pisses me off that rather than fixing the long loading times, horrible servers and so on, they just keep on adding more and more expensive items in each update. They've made hundreds of millions in this way, they could have invested some of that money in making the game stable and balanced, but nope. I loved the GTA: Online announcement trailer, but a few hours in it was clear it sounded much better than it was, because the game encourages either toxic play or opening up your wallet. Also the GTAV gameplay suits PvE much better than PvP, but that's just my taste really.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Put me in the list of people not wanting to grind just to fuck around with friends in GTA online. Not even just high level stuff, you have to grind to get decent guns and vehicles. Fuck that. Much preferred GTA4 online.

Foffy

Banned
It was fun as shit until they started to make all of the expansions heavily based on having absurd amounts of money.

They expect you to either have a Zen mind for the grind or to cave and pay your way ahead.

Also deeply disappointing that it's GTA Online that likely shitcanned Story Mode DLC. Anybody remember when Rockstar talked about that stuff coming after the release of the game on current gen systems?

KillLaCam

Banned
I stopped caring after Yachts came out. But it is really good that the game is being supported for so long. I probably would still be playing if my fiends didn't move to other games. Red Dead online should be cool though

BigEmil

It's mostly unenjoyable because you have to buy the Shark cards to buy alot of the shit they offer, no way you can grind like normal to get these shit anymore not only are things more expensive but also since years ago they nerfed all the reward money's from jobs etc

AlexBasch

I remember having fun playing this alone and then I was getting slaughtered over and over.

Last time I entered online I was in a seemingly endless race. Quitted right there, it's kinda confusing if you're new to the whole thing, IMO.

luulubuu

How people can endure the constant load times is something I admire a lot

Really, I wish I could because some of the DLC seems super fun

Wil348

GTA V (well, GTA Online) is one of my most played games this gen, and while I used to enjoy it, I have really lost interest in recent months. It was always very expensive and grindy but recently it's been going even further in that direction. I don't mind grinding in games if the core gameplay loop is enjoyable, but GTA Online mainly consists of playing boring activities for sometimes a whole day at least to make a semi-decent amount of money. And if you can't make money, chances are you can't experience the best of what Online has to offer. It's no doubt in my mind that this is to push shark card sales, which is disappointing but not unlike AAA gaming. Both Gunrunning and Smuggler's Run were disappointing too, and Online is still in shambles on a technical level even after four years and a remaster.

DJwest

I didn't play the multiplayer so all I will say here is that it's a shame we didn't get single player expansions like we did with IV.

xrnzaaas

I didn't care for it even before they went heavy on the microtransactions. I played it maybe for 10 hours but didn't find anything especially enjoyable. Also it didn't help it was pretty bugged and most people I encountered were assholes.

lush

It was cool when they allowed you to use the new DLC vehicles in the single player portion by accessing the "Special Vehicles" section of your garage. At this point it feels like a lot of new vehicles locked behind a paywall or it would require significant grinding. On Xbox One at least, the load times are awful and it's near impossible to connect with friends in the same lobby.

I easily put more time in to GTA IV's online free roam.

Wish Rockstar realized by now they have no idea how to make a fun online experience and just stick to what they're masters at: singleplayer. 2/10

Van Bur3n

GTAO's "free" DLC was just behind a different kind a pay wall. One where the content is absurdly priced with the in-game currency, forcing you to grind to a ridiculous degree or bite the bullet and pay for the microtransaction shark cards. It proved very successful given the stupid amount of money Rockstar made off of it.

It was ultimately what made me stop playing because the rate of making in-game money through normal means was monotonously slow and as a result I couldn't afford jack shit.

I enjoyed it but I only ever played with friends. New cars or weapons was never really the driving force of constant play for us, but once in a while a new game mode would come out that we would enjoy.

It's fun if you have money. I was lucky to obtain millions in hacker just after release on PC. did the heists a couple times each. Boring. Lost interest when they released the yachts.

Lamptramp

Initially somewhat enjoyed GTA:O, despite the ludicrous load times and tedious menus/lobbies, the nightly fight to get every friend together in the same game was a chore.
Once you were in game with a group of friends it was fun, heists were great, but then the grind started. Every time our small group have tried to jump back in the majority of content has been gated behind larger and larger sums and it's been all too easy to leave the game untouched for an age.

OT, personally I'd rate the free DLC (and the GTA:O experience in general) piss poor.

Akai__

I'm rather looking up easy enough Money Glitches on the GTA Online Glitches Subreddit from time to time than dealing with the money grinding, so that's pretty telling.

The last couple Director Mode glitches were so big that I could buy a fully upgrade Yacht, Bunker, Mobile Command Center, Hangar, the Maze Bank Office, several land vehicles and all new airplanes. All that in one day.

MadMod

Isnt the real question here, do you think you would have preferred it to a SP dlc, now looking back at all the MP dlc? (something they said they'd do)

I for one wouldn't have. Answering your question the MP for me just felt a little too bland, where the free DLC didn't help that much. I played a good amount with my friends, heists were definitely the high points, but like I said, a lot of it just felt pointless to me for some reason. Really hope RDR2 doesn't repeat the grind nature of it too.

I never played GTA:O enough to experience some of the content they released for free. The things like owning businesses, boats and planes was always too expensive for me to do (and that was with the preorder money bonus you were given).

I'm sure there were ways to make crazy money, but I never found them. What I did play I enjoyed in small doses. I liked the GTARP Servers WAY more though.

Top Bottom