• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite passes 7 million players. Adds 6 million players in less than 2 months

Fortnite continues to be a massive success adding 6 million players since the last updated numbers we received. It had been at 1 million players on August 18th.

Ad6c.png

Being the first Battle Royale type game on consoles has to be a major contributor to this. Epic must be thrilled at these results

SexyFish

Banned
Part of me imagines some guy super sad that his work on the main mode is going to be forever ignored now for Battle Royale.

Congrats, the games a fucking blast. Now I just need some progression system in place.

I’m sure this thread will also be filled with level-headed commendations and conversation on how both games can happily coexist.

They need to monetize the Battle royale PVP to see returns on that, although I am sure some people have decided to buy the Save the world PVE portion as a result of enjoying the Battle Royale.

It's deserved success though. I am surprised that a lot of my friends say they prefer FBR over that other game because the pacing is much quicker, the clean graphics, building, and other things. The game is not perfect of course, and it's still pretty early access, but it'll improve. In fact they just put duos, supply drops, and a charged laser rifle in today I believe.

Pastry

Banned
They need to monetize the Battle royale PVP to see returns on that, although I am sure some people have decided to buy the Save the world PVE portion as a result of enjoying the Battle Royale.

It's deserved success though. I am surprised that a lot of my friends say they prefer FBR over that other game because the pacing is much quicker, the clean graphics, building, and other things. The game is not perfect of course, and it's still pretty early access, but it'll improve. In fact they just put duos, supply drops, and a charged laser rifle in today I believe.

It’s only a matter of time until loot crates are in.

Mossybrew

Been having a lot of fun with Battle Royale, really tempted to check out the rest of the game, but considering it's supposed to go FTP next year I'm being patient.

CookTrain

Part of me imagines some guy super sad that his work on the main mode is going to be forever ignored now for Battle Royale.

They say they had another team working on the Battle Royale mode, so that's potentailly quite a few peoplefolk (and customers, potentially) feeling bummed out if Battle Royale becomes the focus and PvE fades away into slow abandonment.

I personally have no interest in the genre, but this is fantastic for gaming. Awesome news. Hope everyone is having fun with it!!

Elandyll

Banned
PUBG is dead

Kappa
Wouldn't quite say that (you are probably joking, I know), but if they sign with MS for more than 6 months, then they'll only have themselves to blame.

Personally, Fortnite flew completely under my radar, but the f2p move made me look it up and I already plan on playing it some, and the more cartoony aspect also make it a more kid/ familly friendly title.

They say they had another team working on the Battle Royale mode, so that's potentailly quite a few peoplefolk (and customers, potentially) feeling bummed out if Battle Royale becomes the focus and PvE fades away into slow abandonment.

I think people will be bummed if they drop it because of how exploitative the gatcha systems are.

Had a feeling it would be big just seeing the response on gaf

Sucks for PUBG though, not even released on console yet and likely even longer for PS4

Shaky

I haven't played PUBG yet and I'm still more excited for it but, I think this game offers you a different enough take on BR that you can enjoy both. The building aspect is a lot of fun and gets hectic towards the end of battle royale.

arimanius

Wow that's an insane jump in players. I'm enjoying the unique take this brings to the BR genre. The good thing is they are communicating with players. They just added supply drops and duos today.

Fortnite Battle Royale Updates - Duos, Supply Drops, and Weapon Accuracy
By The Fortnite Team

Hi folks,

Wow, what a great response to Fortnite Battle Royale! Here’s an update.

DUOS
Duos will release in most regions with this release. We want to make sure that adding a new playlist doesn't make the experience less enjoyable so stay tuned for more updates on the status of Duos in your region.

Bring a friend and let the duos begin!
Duos_Screenshot.png
SUPPLY DROPS
Supply Drops are back! ! We tried once, but couldn’t quite stick the landing. We fixed those issues and we’re excited for them to return.

Supply Drops are more likely to contain rare weapons and items that you want in a pinch. They’re also a hot zone for attention, so planning how to grab one is important. Watch the skies for those supplies.
SupplyDrop_Screenshot.png

WEAPON ACCURACY
Almost all of our weapons are hitscan (Sniper Rifles are the exception). That means when you fire, there is no travel time and the target is hit instantaneously. We initially started with very high accuracy on our weapons. This often led to being shot by someone who you couldn’t see, making crossing open fields too risky. It led to more conservative play, and camping became dominant.
It also didn’t differentiate the weapons well – if a Pistol can kill people at the same range as a Rifle, were there enough other differences? Engagement strategy is a key component of our combat (including building walls), and if you don’t have time to defensively respond to being shot, we lose out on what Fortnite’s building brings to the table.

Quickly after, we did some iterations with aggressive fall-off damage (as a lot of you have already suggested). There were three main concerns we had with this model:

It felt unnatural to hit a far-away target with a rifle but do far lower damage
It was unclear at what distances your damage would be reduced
It was still difficult to respond since you couldn’t see who was shooting at you

As a result, we set a couple key goals with our combat:

Goal #1 – Pistol sniping at long range should not be possible.
Goal #2 – Our weapons should have characteristics that encourage a wide range of engagements based on: distance to target, target type, ammo availability, etc.

This meant using accuracy as a mechanic to force closer engagement distances. In most cases, this had the desired result: weapons very neatly grouped into different ranges.FortniteBattleRoyale_OutlookScreenshot.jpg

After looking at this info, we quickly realized that a Scoped Assault Rifle and a longer range SMG were required to round out our base weapon lineup, which we added in the update on 9/26.

So, what are we doing going forward? There’s a few additional approaches:

Some weapons don’t quite live up to their expectations. The biggest culprits are the Assault Rifles and the SMGs which were recently adjusted. We’ll continue to evaluate and there may be more incremental improvements, not a radical adjustments.
It can be unclear what improves accuracy. Standing still, crouching, and aiming (instead of hip-firing) all have some form of impact on accuracy. We’ll look into ways to improve usability on the reticle, including improved readability of your accuracy cone.
We’ll be running prototypes using more recoil and reducing accuracy penalties. The idea behind this is that the first shot will have higher accuracy (but again, not perfect) and then subsequent shots will require slightly more skill. These will be incremental adjustments until we find the sweet spot.
Lastly, enabling projectiles for all weapons (not just the Sniper Rifle) is something we’d like to explore. Doing this would allow for tighter accuracy overall. We’ve run prototypes internally and it shows promise, but there are challenges preventing us from turning it on. Once those are sorted out, we’ll consider running a broader test.

Our goal is to provide a competitive experience without losing our unique playstyle and crazy over-the-top moments that Fortnite Battle Royale brings to the table. We look forward to your help as we continue to hone the experience.

For those of you who have strong feelings on this subject, we encourage you to participate in discussions on our forum. We also plan to spin up a PTR in the coming weeks where we can test out some different ideas and gather your feedback.

Cheers!
Eric Williamson

Slayven

Could be tales from my ass, but I think Battle Royale being Free is going to have enough people buying the survival mode that it will be more than worth in a long run. Some folks will get a taste for the building aspect and want more.

Trup1aya

I don't think this kills pubg... The games are very different and enjoyable for different reasons.

I think battle royal fans will play both

Man it so refreshing to get nice long responses to why they are doing what they are. Man those AAA studio bucks feel so damn good 🦐

arimanius

Could be tales from my ass, but I think Battle Royale being Free is go going to have enough people buying the survival mode that it will be more than worth in a long run. Some folks will get a taste for the building aspect and want more.

I actually think they will happen. I bought a package for BR before it went F2P and have enjoyed both modes.

Fancolors

Would be interesting if Epic did some free weekends for the PvE mode. Since you already have 7 million people with the game installed, why not try to convince them to get into the Early Access?

I don't think this kills pubg... The games are very different and enjoyable for different reasons.

I think battle royal fans will play both
Agreed for pc tho now console players will have another option when pubg finally comes out. Def can impact PUBG sales if ppl get used to playing this type of game for free

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Could be tales from my ass, but I think Battle Royale being Free is go going to have enough people buying the survival mode that it will be more than worth in a long run. Some folks will get a taste for the building aspect and want more.

They also intend to sell cosmetics a la Overwatch for the Battle Royale mode. It's just not in the game yet.

I use to love EPIC Games so much so I hope this goes well for them. If im not wrong though this has become free to play though right? I think with that it is more important that it is sustainable rather than just hearing how many players has played it.

We know PUBG has sold a ton. I think 10m? Not sure. So I think a lot of PUBG players will at least try Fortnite, but the question is will they stay or not

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I use to love EPIC Games so much so I hope this goes well for them. If im not wrong though this has become free to play though right? I think with that it is more important that it is sustainable rather than just hearing how many players has played it.

We know PUBG has sold a ton. I think 10m? Not sure. So I think a lot of PUBG players will at least try Fortnite, but the question is will they stay or not

Battle Royale is a new mode that's free. The base game is still paid so far.

Floody

Wasn't liking it in solo, but squads (and now duos) is incredibly fun.Pretty much pulled me and friends away from Destiny 2 for a week. Which is no small feat.
Congrats Epic.

Slayven

They also intend to sell cosmetics a la Overwatch for the Battle Royale mode. It's just not in the game yet.

yeah and the main game is going to be F2P anyway. So i don't know why people think they will stall development on the survival part. Epic isn't some fly by night EA dev

Yep they need to get the monetization up quickly to capitalize off this.

It's doing great numbers on Twitch (has even passed PUBG on occasion for viewers) and has really strong word of mouth. I doubt losing players at least in the short term will be much issue for them at all. I fully expect this to hit 10 million soon

Yep they need to get the monetization up quickly to capitalize off this.

It's doing massive numbers on Twitch and has really strong word of mouth. I doubt losing players at least in the short term will be much issue for them at all. I fully expect this to hit 10 million soon

Youre right Its doing well on twitch. 20k right now(9th place). PUBG in comparison is 100k right now. All im saying is that 7m, or 10m can be a little misleading when it comes to "players played" vs "Numbers sold".

Top Bottom