• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft announces shares buy-back program

dex3108

Paris, October 04, 2017 - Ubisoft announced today that it has granted a mandate to an investment services provider with a view to repurchasing its own shares.

Pursuant to this mandate, Ubisoft may buy back up to an aggregate amount of 4 million shares, from October 5, 2017 to December 29, 2017. This mandate will be implemented in accordance with the authorization granted by the Company's shareholders at their general meeting of September 22, 2017, which provided for a share buyback program limited to 10% of the shares comprising the Company's capital.

All repurchased shares will be canceled.

The liquidity agreement concluded by the company will be temporarily suspended during the execution of the mandate.

https://globenewswire.com/news-rele...-BUY-BACK-PROGRAM-UP-TO-4-MILLION-SHARES.html

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I am a financial world idiot. Is this good or bad for Ubisoft?

A lot of companies do this to raise the value of their stock. For example, EA and Apple do this frequently as an alternative to paying a dividend.

Ubisoft is also doing it in part due to Vivendi.

Interesting.

So if they cancel the bought back shares are they increasing the value and power of the remaining shares?

L~A

Neither good or bad. Just means that all shares purchased back by them won't be purchasable by Vinvendi. And as mention by Nirolak, it raises the value of their stock.

Some Nobody

Can I assume this has something to do with them trying to keep Vivendi from taking over? I could be stupid, but just at a cursory glance I feel like it does.

Axass

Wait, if they cancel the shares they buy back, wouldn't Vivendi's percentage of owned shares increase (because there are less total shares)?

Soulflarz

Banned
Wait, if they cancel the shares they buy back, wouldn't Vivendi's percentage of owned shares increase (because there are less total shares)?
Yes but on the other hand Vivendi can't buy any that ubisoft buys and it raises share value so it's probably worthwhile.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

You buy back stocks to create a floor for your stock to your satisfaction, raise of earnings per share or stop takeovers because someone has over 50% of common stock and then your company becomes a subsidiary. Three main reasons.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yes but on the other hand Vivendi can't buy any that ubisoft buys and it raises share value so it's probably worthwhile.
Yeah acquiring Ubisoft afterwards will seem more expensive and hopefully too much of a hassle for Vivendi.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

In theory, yes but vivendi's stock may be callable in that ubi has the right, not the obligation to purchase stocks back at a specific time at a specific price.

RSchmitz

I have no idea how this works, but if Ubisoft buys shares back wouldn't that make Vivendi have a bigger percentage of the public available shares?

Edit: late.

Axass

Yeah acquiring Ubisoft afterwards will seem more expensive and hopefully too much of a hassle for Vivendi.

In theory, yes but vivendi's stock may be callable in that ubi has the right, not the obligation to purchase stocks back at a specific time at a specific price.

I see, thank you!

Omitat

Neo Member
Apparently, Vivendi's stake in Ubisoft will increase automatically in November because of some 'provision.'

That would mean that Vivendi would be even closer to 30% - the percent point that French law requires they put a bid on Ubisoft.

If this buy-back program is in effect between October 5, 2017, and December 29, 2017 - does it mean that Ubisoft put a serious halt on Vivendi?

Edit: TY for the explanation chaosblade.

airborn

Apparently, Vivendi's stake in Ubisoft will increase automatically in November because of some 'provision.'

That would mean that Vivendi would be even closer to 30% - the percent point that French law requires they put a bid on Ubisoft.
The provision grants double voting rights to shares registered for more than two years. It applies to 11% of Vivendi's total stake (26.2%) which would bump their voting rights over the required 30% threshold.

Vivendi can launch a hostile takeover bid as soon as November 20th.

Axass

The provision grants double voting rights to shares registered for more than two years. It applies to 11% of Vivendi's total stake (26.2%) which would bump their voting rights over the required 30% threshold.

Vivendi can launch a hostile takeover bid as soon as November 20th.

I think I heard that French laws actually would force them to launch a hostile takeover bid as soon as they get to the famous 30%.

airborn

I think I heard that French laws actually would force them to launch a hostile takeover bid as soon as they get to the famous 30%.
The mandatory bid is indeed triggered when crossing the 30% threshold.

Vivendi can stop (or delay) that process by selling or converting some of their existing shares into bearer shares.

If they go for a hostile takeover and it fails, their voting rights drop below 30% and they won't be able to acquire any new shares.

akileese

Neither good or bad. Just means that all shares purchased back by them won't be purchasable by Vinvendi. And as mention by Nirolak, it raises the value of their stock.

It's a better than the alternative thing. They get to buy back the stock while simultaneously raising the value, making any shares that Vivendi tries to purchase more expensive. Of course it's Vivendi so it won't make much of a difference. More of a speed bump than a road block.

Top Bottom