• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War - Review thread

black070

I didn't even realise the game was coming out next week, let alone that it was time for reviews to start dropping.

TVexperto

Wow cant belive they are giving those good scores considering how its all build around loot boxes and microtransactions

Auctopus

UAm6SXk.png

The last negative sounds far more impactful than the 3 positives.

Our review is live: 8/10.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War PS4 Review

Middle-earth: Shadow of War is stellar sequel to a surprisingly great game. The Nemesis System remains the real star of the show in all of its expanded glory, and while its dynamic brilliance threatens to make the main story missions seem boring by comparison, there's enough heft to the overall package that you can look past its shortcomings. In the barrage of blockbusters hitting PS4 over the next few months, Shadow of War should not be missed.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/middle-earth_shadow_of_war

EDIT: A bit about the loot boxes in our review, too:

Right off the bat, we'll say that the loot boxes feel out of place, and not just because this is a single player game. Going to a separate menu screen just to open them up makes it seem like they've been haphazardly bolted to the experience. Can you complete the game without ever opening a loot box? Absolutely, but that doesn't change the fact that they've been jammed into a title that definitely doesn't need them. Whether you use them or not, seeing that little marketplace tab on the main menu cheapens what is otherwise a great game.

Darranged

Neo Member
Good de-stressing game like the first?

Dude, I spent hours assembling my Orc army. Growing them, making them stronger through clan missions. Cathartic stuff for my tastes.

Can doing that across dozens of orcs get tedious? I'd say yes for some, but I loved the strategy of it. Also, some of the bastards ended up stabbing me in the back.

BT-727

Neo Member
We're live.

Gadgets 360 - 8/10

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/reviews/shadow-of-war-review-1759088

Middle-earth: Shadow of War might not have had the best time pre-release, but it manages to be a solid, competent follow up to 2014's Shadow of Mordor. It's a gigantic time-sink of a game that's well worth your time and attention.

On loot boxes and game design from our review:

You see, if a captain is of a higher level than you, you can't have him fight for you. Instead, you'll need to use your powers to shame him after a prolonged battle. This reduces his overall level. Then you'll need to find him and fight him again in order to make him to join your ranks. This makes putting an army together in Shadow of War feel less like controlling a supernatural, undead assassin (who comes bundled with a grumpy elf lord spirit) and more like a grind-filled traditional role-playing game.

And its here that Shadow of War's micro-transactions come in. You can buy loot chests that let you get better weapons; experience boosts that allow you level up Talion quicker; war chests that grant you more powerful orcs; and bundles containing loot chests, experience boosts, and war chests.

Unlike other games that feature micro-transactions, you aren't constantly nagged to purchase them, and in fact you disable them completely by choosing to play offline. While there's an online component not too dissimilar to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain's Forward Operating Base (FOB) feature that pits your forces against those online, it doesn't impact the progress of your campaign. Instead it simply allows you to increase your stats if your troops defend well enough against the onslaught.

Nonetheless, not once did we feel compelled to spend money to progress in Shadow of War, which is heartening. The razor sharp combat and Nemesis system ensured that each encounter was full of entertaining moments, such as a flying dragon hurling fire down on the battlefield, or the surprise arrival of a high-level orc captain and his retinue, or Forthog the Orc-Slayer showing up and slaying your target for you. Or in our case, all of these at once. Thanks to the procedurally generated nature of the game world, there are enough diversions to make sure you won't mind that you'll have to have another go at trying to convince a giant Olog to fight for you.

It's nicer when people quote a summary or something of their reviews, rather than just a random link and a number next to it. Review threads with nothing but random numbers are always the least interesting.

I hated the first one even if I love the LOTR franchise. I'm still curious about how this one turns out.

Wow cant belive they are giving those good scores considering how its all build around loot boxes and microtransactions
Reviewers ain't our friends. They forget about those loot boxes the moment their free press kits arrive.

Osahi

But. It's not?

I haven't finished it yet, but not once during my playtrough of allready over 15 hours did I felt the need to buy a loot box. The game gives you enough experience, loot, orcs and the likes allready at every turn.

Us too, us too https://www.pcgamesn.com/middle-earth-shadow-of-war/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-pc-review

I wish Shadow of War was as confident in itself as I am in it. Had Monolith proudly led with the Nemesis Fortress system and introduced players to it quickly, they would unquestionably be on the shortlist for making the Game of the Year. Thankfully, the system acts as the Mithril-strong foundations for the game, so while the additional elements may be generic and unwelcome, there is very little digging required to find the shining silver.

I'm curious to see how many reviews call out the loot boxes - or even mention it - and how much they ding the game for it. I don't have high hopes.

mindsale

Reviews have a lot of variance. I imagine that'll be chocked up to microtransactions? Look to see a similar spread on Battlefront II, I imagine, though that's obviously more multiplayer-focused.

A review mentions that the microtransactions seem tacked on after the fact. It's your business if any microtransactions of any kind turn you off, but how you describe how they fit in to this game doesn't seem accurate.

tomhan

I hated the first one even if I love the LOTR franchise. I'm still curious about how this one turns out.

Reviewers ain't our friends. They forget about those loot boxes the moment their free press kits arrive.

To each their own, I feel the exact opposite of you. I loved the first one and I'm not really into the LOTR franchise.

I also couldn't care less about loot boxes and microtransactions if they aren't necessary.

Jeb

Best case scenario, I'll buy game of the year edition a couple of years down the line.

Not gonna lie, I'm not buying the game in its current state of loot boxes and microtransactions, but if the game is reaaally good and in a year or so the game of the year edition is a more complete product, I might bite.

Zukkoyaki

A review mentions that the microtransactions seem tacked on after the fact. It's your business if any microtransactions of any kind turn you off, but how you describe how they fit in to this game doesn't seem accurate.

Pretty much. From what I've read so far, the game is completely fine if you choose to ignore the boxes.

oti

Banned
I guess if all you've done is watching youtubers shouting about the loot boxes, this is what your take would be.

Elandyll

Banned
Samey problems as the first (particularly meh story and bland ugly world), which in spite of having owned for a year+ I still can't get myself to play when looking at my backlog or games I'd rather replay through...

Gonna be a hard pass until maybe 2018 Black Friday on a $15 Walmart bin deal ... probably.

Top Bottom