• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix increasing prices again ($11 for 2-device HD streaming)

giga

The streaming video service will be raising prices on its middle and top tier plans in the U.S. starting in November. Subscribers who currently pay for the standard $9.99 service will be charged $10.99. The price of the premium tier will rise from $11.99 to $13.99.

Good news for people on the basic $7.99 plan—that price is staying put, for now.

Tiers with old prices:

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F612655%2Fbd97f679-b945-4ac4-a238-7994462718bb.jpg

http://mashable.com/2017/10/05/netflix-raising-prices-again/#XmJoPubzDsqF

br3wnor

So if I'm already subbed to the 4K plan.. it seems like there's no price hike? Am I reading that right?

No, I think that’s going up to $13.99. That’s the ‘premium’ plan.

I’m torn, $14 is getting into the ‘do I really need this territory’ since I watch Netflix so little. On average I feel like I watch maybe an hour a week of it, might consider unsubbing for a while after I binge Stranger Things.

**And I have regular cable w/ DVR so it’s not like I’m a cord cutter, vast majority of my TV watching is through traditional means, so it’s really just like adding $14 to my cable bill at this point.

They're going to end up dangerously close to the edge, but I can't knock the prices for all the content

The Netflix 4k has also been pretty disappointing so getting a 2 dollar hike is trash

$11.99 -> $13.99 for the 4K tier

Ah damn I was thinking the chart in the OP was what the prices were changing to.

That stinks. I'm not gonna fuss over $2, but I have no need for more than 1 screen at a time so it'd be nice if there was a tier with 4K that reflected that.

Sucks I guess but its still a rock bottom price considering all the content we are getting.

It's $1 man.

Are you really that venomous over $1-$2?

It is though

I'm not mad at $1, I'm mad at them continuing eroding their service. When they made it $7.99 for just streaming, it lost half its value. Then they upped it by $2 and now they are raising the price again, while their catalogue is getting weaker and weaker. I subscribed for movies and TV shows, and I'm seeing a lot less of those. I didn't subscribe for their original content because I don't like most of it.

Eh, not the worst thing in the world. For people like me who subscribe a few months a year for originals it’s really a non-factor.

jrcbandit

Seriously thinking of cancelling with a $2 increase as I can go months without using Netflix at all... It's just a pain to keep resubscribing when a show launches that I want to watch.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm not mad at $1, I'm mad at them continuing eroding their service. When they made it $7.99 for just streaming, it lost half its value. Then they upped it by $2 and now they are raising the price again, while their catalogue is getting weaker and weaker. I subscribed for movies and TV shows, and I'm seeing a lot less of those. I didn't subscribe for their original content because I don't like most of it.

Then unsubscribe and move on.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm curious what the upper limit really is for people. Like someone might say $15, but if it's $13 now and then $15 two years from now maybe they just roll with it?

Link

The Autumn Wind
On one hand, that sucks.

On the other hand, I thought that was the price I was already paying, so... *shrug

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not surprised. I figured this was coming to a lot of services movies, music, games ect...

It's getting tough though. $2 in an off itself doesn't feel bad, but $2 here $5 there adds up when you look at all of the services like Netflix, PS Vue, PS+, Spotify ect... you are paying for and the prices start slowly creeping up.

MercuryLS3

This isn't the point. If you multiply that number by their subscribers it is clear what they are doing.

Also, that's per month. If I could get $1-$2 per month from that many people I'd be much wealthier than I am.

They're investing heavily in content, they need money to make that happen. Netflix, even with a dollar hike is a great value for what you get.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
As long as I get a season of good TV a month I won't unsub. They keep pumping out more good shit so I'm satisfied.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This isn't the point. If you multiply that number by their subscribers it is clear what they are doing.

Also, that's per month. If I could get $1-$2 per month from that many people I'd be much wealthier than I am.

It's clear what they are doing? Yes, they want to make more money. Or is there some other motive I'm not understanding?

Anyway, I'd glad pay $1 more. It could probably go up a few bucks a month and I wouldn't cancel. I wonder what my price point is. Considering how much I watch it, I would say... 20?

Lets get the fake outrage outta the way. You good now?

I'm not outraged, I'm mad that a service is continually raising their prices while offering less. They're so busy trying to compete with the big boys of HBO and Showtime that they are forgetting why people subscribed to them in the first place.

Are you going to say this each time the price goes up?

For now, I'd easily pay a couple more dollars for the service.

That's your preference and I have no issue with it at all. I'm in it for the streaming shows, if I was mainly interested in the discs I would have unsubbed years ago.

Shudder really needs to get a PS4 app. Was planning on only subbing to Netflix when new season of Marvel shows or GLOW anyway. So, the price increase will only effect me for a few months a year. But, I do love watching random & ridiculous horror flicks hidden deep in in the catalog. So, Shudder, come on, get that PS4 support.

entremet

People's budget breaking on 2 dollars extra a month? 24 bucks a year? One good original series season is worth that alone.

I don't think it's at all crazy to claim that they don't have the content to back up their prices. Yeah they put out some good OG content, but not everyone is interested in all of that content. Then you have their movies and tv show selection, which when I was last a subscriber, not only was lacking, but was getting weaker and weaker as time went on.

Top Bottom