• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScreenJunkies' Andy Signore Accused of Sexual Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem wasnt that it was one story, it was that it was one story with no proof. Me personally if proof was provided that corrobarated the single story, I would have immedietly went to fuck Andy.

It's easier than ever to prove now, but I feel like, that mindset made it easy for the Harvey Weinstens of the world to get away with this for so many decades.

I'm not saying let's all condemn a dude after accusation, but a single accusation should be taken more seriously. This gained traction after multiple attempts at sharing.

Knoxcore

I love Screen Junkies and watch them all the time. I guess that's why I stayed away from this thread, hoping it wasn't true, but it is. Clearly, Andy must be removed from his position and those who knew and did nothing. The channel has some great talent on there. Hopefully, the channel can come out of this stronger.

Boke1879

Yea you definitely need to get rid of him and if HR knew about it and did nothing. Those people need to go as well.

Like it was said. The only reason this is gaining traction is because more people have come forward. HR didn't do SHIT when it was kept internally.

TissueBox

There's more:

646a1de96d4394206f0ea92e33607ff128862cc45047a334d9ef79964277d567.jpg

Sephzilla

Yea you definitely need to get rid of him and if HR knew about it and did nothing. Those people need to go as well.

Like it was said. The only reason this is gaining traction is because more people have come forward. HR didn't do SHIT when it was kept internally.

Yep, a few people in HR should lose their jobs over this too

Volimar

The problem wasnt that it was one story, it was that it was one story with no proof. Me personally if proof was provided that corrobarated the single story, I would have immedietly went to fuck Andy.

Don't fuck Andy. He doesn't deserve you man.

The immediate witch hunts on the first page (calling for his resignation, #fuckoff #milkshakeduck et al) were the trash responses there, not ones that followed. In almost every one of these cases the public will have an infinitely better sense of it all given a little time. In this case it didn't even take 24 hours. Taking a vaguely pragmatic stance while a breaking story that landed in the middle of the night and didn't contain any supporting evidence develops is not dismissing the allegation out of hand or calling the person stepping forward a liar, and the story developing in a particular (unsurprising...) way does not retroactively prove that initial approach wrong.

Reel in the reductive binary rhetoric. It's every thread on Off-Topic at this point.

This is the exact kind of thinking that makes it so fucking hard for women to come forward with these things though.

When we value "vague pragmatism" (whatever the fuck that means) over "believing women", when we equate "believing women" with "witch hunts", when we consider a man's reputation more important than a woman's safety; that's when we become complicit in the toxic boy's club that "nerd culture" has become.

This is what I meant earlier when I said that people hadn't woken up because the first victim came forward while everyone was asleep. Knew something was off with him, but he's such a creep. Unsubscribing.

Boke1879

This dude is 38 and talks to women like he's 14 and that's sadly a good thing because it makes it way easier to see his intentions. He didn't leave any wiggle room on this, he's a certified weirdo who name drops Kevin fucking Smith.

Scustya.

I notice a lot of this language with a lot of these types. They talk like they are fucking children and I honestly wonder if it's a social problem.

Like they've never been in this position before until they got the power. But this is how they think they should talk to women.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Jesus fucking christ...

"LOL how are you single"
"Sorry if i made it weird LOL!"
"But seriously I'd totally fuck you"
"LOL I shouldn't have said that"
"But seriously I would"
"LOL sorry to creep you out! Just complimenting you!"
Now that I think about it... when I was a teenager in my early internet years, I definitely received comments like that with lots of ;) lol hehe ;) hope ur not offended lol i am jk ;) from dudes. I would merely find it annoying and silly brush it away, I was probably too young to realize how creepy really was. o_O

Statement on Screenjunkies twitter.

https://twitter.com/ScreenJunkies
Good. Terminate HR too please. They were fucking useless.

Sephzilla

This dude is 38 and talks to women like he's 14 and that's sadly a good thing because it makes it way easier to see his intentions. He didn't leave any wiggle room on this, he's a certified weirdo who name drops Kevin fucking Smith.

Scustya.

Yeah this is something I took away from this too, dude talks like he's never interacted with a woman before.

Zaphrynn

This is the exact kind of thinking that makes it so fucking hard for women to come forward with these things though.

When we value "vague pragmatism" (whatever the fuck that means) over "believing women", when we equate "believing women" with "witch hunts", when we consider a man's reputation more important than a woman's safety; that's when we become complicit in the toxic boy's club that "nerd culture" has become.

Yeah. I understand people wanting to be "pragmatic" (quotes because often it's not that at all), but it doesn't matter. The end result is the same. Being the first to come forward means getting the most scrutiny, and the most backlash. If no one else has come forward, you don't know if you're the only one, or if other women will come forward. Your testimony isn't "proof". You're just another woman who might have "something to gain" by lying. If nobody else comes forward, you're kind of fucked. It's easy to ask yourself "What's the point?" and you bury the assault or harassment and try to move on with your life. It's often not worth it.

For those who wonder why harassment is so prevalent, and why it takes so long for women (and men) to come forward, you just have to look at this thread. Even for those that mean well, it's a reminder that you are ultimately alone when you first put that story out.

People not believing women is why, when I think of my rape, I think of it as "technically rape" instead of just rape, because people question you and pick at you if it's anything except violent, easily provable rape (which is not very common at all).

Paganmoon

Can't but agree with this post. well put.

Fliesen

also, if we choose not to believe what a person says, how would a screencap of twitter DMs really be any more "proof."
Like, if you're really committed to "ruining someone" with false allegations, you can fake these kinds of Screencaps. It's rather trivial, really.

The only meaningful proof is corroborating reports by other victims - which means the first victim to speak up will always be in the position of being all by themselves, painting a crosshair on themselves - a burden that many wouldn't really be willing to carry, i suppose. Which is why i personally choose to believe them.

I think Inferno got banned for three months for that post btw

I'm surprised Junkies suspended him, I wonder how this situation ends

Sethista

Same here. The number of stoties is not the only way to prove something.

HR needs to be accountable as well for sure. It would not surprise me if what they did is criminal.

Fliesen

No one said anything about toxic masculinity

"toxic boy's club" is reasonably close, and probably meant the same.

still, ouch, that's harsh. :/

Same here. The number of stoties is not the only way to prove something.

but what other 'proof' beyond corroboration is there?
As i demonstrated - a screencap can be faked in literal minutes - you can say "well, of course he deleted our conversation!"
So what is there, beyond other testimony?

shiba5

The entire company can get in trouble if the individual goes past HR and threatens legal action. HR's job is to prevent that so protecting the boss over the employee in a case where they're very clearly in the wrong legally makes everything worse.

Correct, but that doesn't mean they won't try to ignore, belittle, or threaten the victim(s) if they can. It happened to me and my multiple co-workers. HR called us a "witch hunt" for reporting a serial harasser. They didn't back down until I threatened to sue them into oblivion.

HR is not your friend.

sirap

I'm glad others finally stepped forward to support her and provide evidence. When I looked into this earlier I found her earlier tweets, and it was really fucking bizarre that nothing took off from that.

"toxic boy's club" is reasonably close, and probably meant the same.

still, ouch, that's harsh. :/

but what other 'proof' beyond corroboration is there?
As i demonstrated - a screencap can be faked in literal minutes - you can say "well, of course he deleted our conversation!"
So what is there, beyond other testimony?

Maybe he meant a literal toxic boy's club

firelogic

Why so many YouTubers turn out to be shitty people

It's not specifically a YT thing. They just happen to be highlighted because they're minor celebrities. This kind of thing happens all the time, everywhere. People are terrible in and out of Youtube.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Now where the fuck is max landis? First time in a long time I actually want to see what he has to say about a situation.

Oh Granny Goodness, I hope not.

At least Screen Junkies responded pretty swiftly. Sounds like there might've been some HR fuckery, but that's for the legal department to deal with.

I don't really have an issue watching their content in the future if they're taking care of business now and there isn't some internal culture of abuse like Uber.

Sad think is, this doesn't really surprise me. There are going to be a lot of milkshake ducks, because this like a phenomenon. Sexual harassment is tolerated up until it is exposed and these types of ventures are more accepting of this behavior than others are.

I stopped listening to their podcasts about a year ago and really most of their content except for honest trailers. I think I can live without honest trailers in my life (tbf it's not even that funny anymore).

Reading Andys messages reminds me alot of the messages tha Nick sent during that hubbub, down to the goddamn smilies. Man these creeps have a singular handbook, huh?

Dynasty

It's easier than ever to prove now, but I feel like, that mindset made it easy for the Harvey Weinstens of the world to get away with this for so many decades.

I'm not saying let's all condemn a dude after accusation, but a single accusation should be taken more seriously. This gained traction after multiple attempts at sharing.

I think people do take the single accusation seriously, they just wait for more proof before commenting on the situation because they dont want to get anything wrong.

Sorry if this is over the line, but I really have to agree with Inferno that the idea of “reductive binary rhetoric” is incredibly dangerous here. In a situation like this being “pragmatic” still involves choosing one side over the other. In this case that means choosing to give the benefit of the doubt to the man over the woman. We are talking about an industry well known for men pulling stuff like this, so a “wait and see” approach is not neutral. It absolutely has implications.

Please note that I understand backseat modding is against the rules and I am not making any sort of claim that any particular bans made in this thread are wrong. Just providing my input on a particular part of EvilLore’s argument. I hope that’s considered fair game.

Fliesen

How much can they really do to the creator though?

He's an employee to Defy media, and only 1 out of 3.5 writers (i don't think Dan Murrell does as much of the writing as he does editing)

Honest trailers will live on - the "personality based" panel shows should possibly be put on the back-burner and be restructured.
Signore being the main judge to movie fights for years now would make it look rather weird to just fill the seat with another dude.

I think people do take the single accusation seriously, they just wait for more proof before commenting on the situation because they dont want to get anything wrong.

Again, what constitutes proof? i literally can't think of anything else but screencaps. And those mean nothing, they're as easily "faked" as a written accusation and can thus be as easily dismissed.

Sorry if this is over the line, but I really have to agree with Inferno that the idea of “reductive binary rhetoric” is incredibly dangerous here. In a situation like this being “pragmatic” still involves choosing one side over the other. In this case that means choosing to give the benefit of the doubt to the man over the woman. We are talking about an industry well known for men pulling stuff like this, so a “wait and see” approach is not neutral. It absolutely has implications.

Please note that I understand backseat modding is against the rules and I am not making any sort of claim that any particular bans made in this thread are wrong. Just providing my input on a particular part of EvilLore’s argument. I hope that’s considered fair game.

fwiw, i agree.

not really sure how to put it other than what you said though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom