• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rttp: Let It Die | This Soundtrack is killer, Senpai.

2904068-0912528848-14460.jpg

Ahh, Let it Die, the free GOTY.

I've just returned to this over the last 2 weeks, having last played around Feb or March.

It was quite nice coming back to copious death Metals, courtesy of Captain Yotsoyama.

For anyone not aware, Let it Die is a free to play Action RPG, in which you climb the Tower of Barbs, a 100 floor collection of freaks, haters and powertools, in dystopian future Tokyo after a natural disaster called the Earth Rage. Also wth a base raiding mechanic similar to an asymmetrical Dark Souls, with national teams.

Now I know what you are thinking: "Ugh free to play, fuck off."
It's a completely fair thought, it's accurate 99 times out if 100.
But this game, is the only one I've ever played that is fair and generous.

There's 3 currencies.
Death metals, Kill Coins, and SP Lithium.
Death metals are the premium currency, yet the game is constantly giving you them.

I haven't once put money into the game. I may in the future drop a few Euro, but given the time I've had from it so far that would be entirely fair.

In fact there is a one time free PS Plus add-on that gives you some of each currency. If you are a PS Plus Subscriber, check it out.
I haven't even downloaded it! I haven't needed to!

maxresdefault.jpg

The game itself is very Grasshopper, it's both riddled with charm and odd characters, to containing sort of dull levels which change slightly as you climb, with an element of roguelike in that the layouts change a bit and some areas vanish altogether.

At times the game gets a bit grindy, but if your stuck and your character is max levelled, remember the title.
Let It Die. Uncle Death can likely sort you out with a new Hater, with a higher level cap. If you have climbed high enough.

I think in a year with so many stand out games, an odd, free-to-play action RPG sorta Dark Soulsy game that launched last December (but after most goty 2016 lists) is easy to forget or sleep on, so I wanted to remind everyone of the game.

latest

SephLuis

I really liked what played, but I had to give attention to other titles and had to delete it.

I just hope that grasshopper found some success with it.

Got to the upper 30s then hit the wall where the material grind was just too much. It wasn't even the typical wall where you could spend money to bypass it. This was after putting...oh, 100 hours or so into it. Maybe more. I never want to play the game again

That being said, I adored my time with that game, and I'm glad to see the support it keeps getting with the special bosses and collaborations (like the Gravity Rush one), I'm glad that game is doing well for them.

Everyone should give it a shot, it's one of the most generous F2P games out there.

I wanted to make a separate post about the music.

The soundtrack to this game is insane.
Essentially 100 local bands and artists were asked to contribute a song called Let It Die to the soundtrack.

It's selectable in the Hater Arcade, choosing the track on the radio will play it in your base and will also be heard by any invading player.

There's some really good stuff there, and here is just two

Winnie - Let It Die

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvb6ppB33qU

Erika Ito - Let It Die

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-L7CojRahI

I honestly don't think we'll see another game like this.

Edit: thought YouTube embeds on mobile??

Bridges

It's a fantastic game just oozing with charm, might be the best F2P game I've ever played.

My roomate has sunk a fair amount of time and money into it, I will say you definitely start to hit a wall in the second half of floors though.

Has anyone checked out the new floors? I quit the game after beating the original set of floors. How worth it is it to reinstall?

Also yea, the soundtrack is amazing!

Capra

I wanted to make a separate post about the music.

The soundtrack to this game is insane.
Essentially 100 local bands and artists were asked to contribute a song called Let It Die to the soundtrack.

It's selectable in the Hater Arcade, choosing the track on the radio will play it in your base and will also be heard by any invading player.

There's some really good stuff there, and here is just two

Winnie - Let It Die

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvb6ppB33qU

Erika Ito - Let It Die

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-L7CojRahI

I honestly don't think we'll see another game like this.

Edit: thought YouTube embeds on mobile??

Oh fuck yes. So many gems hidden in the massive tracklist. Some more of my favorites:

Nothing to Declare - Let it Die

SOSO Break the Wall - Let it Die

Edo -DESPERADO

Has anyone checked out the new floors? I quit the game after beating the original set of floors. How worth it is it to reinstall?

Also yea, the soundtrack is amazing!

I'm just in floor 21, so I've a bit of a way to go yet.

I'm the idiot who spent tons of time levelling up loads of characters for TDM when I got the 50 level cap. Of course I have 75 now and hopefully soon, higher.

But for now, on to Kamatech!

maxresdefault.jpg

This game is legit, and as stated, it has a killer soundtrack. One of my favorites last year!

2.gif

I've been meaning to dive back in again.

Arklite

I liked it, aesthetically cool, interesting game structure with the soul's inspired methodical combat and the base building/invasion aspects. The grind gets far too stiff after levels 35/36 for me to continue. I gave them $30 worth of coins for the hours fun and peaced.

The fantastic soundtrack has me hoping and wishing we get some kind of complete CD compilation at some point.

Enjoyed it really much and even 100% it.

It can be hard but fair. Knowing crucial stuff about mushrooms etc. helps out a lot on the last floors.

Such a great game and its free. Like Uncle Death says: "Just try it out".

Audioboxer

Played it a bit and enjoyed it, but I gave up when it started getting a bit more grindy. It's the kind of game I wish was a $20~40 purchase, like Tokyo Jungle or something, not F2P. Regardless of how well the F2P is argued to be done, it's not the kind of unique and quirky experience I enjoy being monetized to have to try and get people paying by affecting gameplay.

Yeah yeah, I understand the irony above of me playing this for free and not spending anything. As I said though, I enjoyed what I played and simply wished it was a game that I could have bought and in-game monetization not have been something the devs need to attempt to incentivize to get people continually paying. It's like one of those great PS2 games that were $60 in their time.

Personally, unless there were some real whales, I'm being cautious about F2P even having been successful enough for Let It Die. I guess the name is apt for the game as it will come down to "letting it die" as the months pass and very few people want to keep paying for MTs. Hence why I wish it were just something I could have paid for and owned without revisiting it in 2 years time and being frustrated at F2P mechanics. I'm not going to buy MTs in 2 years time to help myself out if I ever feel like replaying.

I often just don't like spending money in F2P products as I never feel like I actually own the game. It's like constant paying to rent, because no matter how much money you pour in the attempts at monetization never stop for you.

MW_Jimmy

I thought I wouldn't like Let It Die, but like many others, it got it's teeth into me and ended up playing 100's of hours and getting to the mid 30 floors.

I'm not sure I'll ever finish ir, but I had a lot of fun trying.

The best track is this:
https://youtu.be/IF_cdW8EHM0

It abolutely screams lobby music! (and reminencent of Anarchy Reigns title screen music). Later on I found out it's by a band called 'A Crow is White' who I was already a fan of.

Might boot it up tonight for a revisit.

Heropon Weegee

Neo Member
Took me by surprise in '16. visually, it's kinda bland imo, but does strike a good vibe in gameplay. the ost is nice to listen to while organizing your base and will get stuck in your head

Zutrax

I loved everything about Let It Die aesthetically and from a control perspective, but what kept me from continuing with it was the padding and lack of intricate level design.

The game has a top notch style to it, and you're right the OST is killer. And Uncle Death is probably among the top characters I've seen in awhile. The gameplay itself is also pretty awesome, it felt tight, fair, and was both rewarding and challenging.

However, I just didn't care for how absurdly long and obtuse everything was in the game. I played for maybe 10 hours and barely made it to the first boss. There were so many mechanics I didn't understand at all, and the whole game felt like this weird mystery that I was barely stumbling through, but it didn't feel satisfying to explore because the level layout was sort of rudimentary (if I remember right it was procedurally generated). I feel like they did what they could on the (probably) low budget this game had. But it could have gone such a long way with shorter and tighter levels, and just removing the free to play elements and making it a $15-30 title.

I remember reaching the part with the Jackals and that part was so damn cool, it got me incredibly hyped. I wanted more moments like that, and I wanted to reach a point where I could wield that stuff myself, but I felt like I was barely even past the tutorial by the time I stopped playing. It was an odd game where I loved almost everything about it, except actually progressing in it.

Also, this is the best song.

Endo Punk

The loading put me off but I've put many a hours into the game. Killer soundtrack amd fun gameplay, may just go back into it if Destiny permits.

Ravelle

I've played it a while a go but got completely destroyed by high level haters with good gear while I was super naked. That's not a fun way to lose your rez coins.

derFeef

This game is great but it's so overly complicated right now to jump back in. It's like Warframe if you took a pause and now WOW WHAT IS ALL OF THIS!

Capra

Let it Die is my favorite game that I will never, ever play again if I can help it. I got really sucked into it in the way I imagine WoW addicts get sucked into that game - by the time you hit the middle floors, the game becomes a constant loop of grinding for materials and mushrooms from floors. You basically have to abuse the more broken mushrooms in order to survive the boss encounters on the higher floors, and as the penalty for dying ramps up pathways to higher floors become more involved and fraught with mandatory miniboss encounters. In the end, I was so tapped out that when I ran out of invisibility shrooms on the (then) final boss and died with only a few hits left, I ended up paying for medals to tank the damn thing just to be done with it.

But the music, the visual style, the weird characters and atmosphere, and tension of surviving each floor is stuff that'll stick with me. I think recent patches have implemented a lot of QoL improvements and I know there's something like 25 floors after where my experience with it ended, but if I can help it I'll never go back.

Audioboxer

Let it Die is my favorite game that I will never, ever play again if I can help it. I got really sucked into it in the way I imagine WoW addicts get sucked into that game - by the time you hit the middle floors, the game becomes a constant loop of grinding for materials and mushrooms from floors. You basically have to abuse the more broken mushrooms in order to survive the boss encounters on the higher floors, and as the penalty for dying ramps up pathways to higher floors become more involved and fraught with mandatory miniboss encounters. In the end, I was so tapped out that when I ran out of invisibility shrooms on the (then) final boss and died with only a few hits left, I ended up paying for medals to tank the damn thing just to be done with it.

But the music, the visual style, the weird characters and atmosphere, and tension of surviving each floor is stuff that'll stick with me. I think recent patches have implemented a lot of QoL improvements and I know there's something like 25 floors after where my experience with it ended, but if I can help it I'll never go back.

This is the sad trade-off when a game like this goes F2P. After you paid to get through the bit you were struggling badly with, there will be another choke point which tries to subtly influence you to cash out. As I said above if cashing out = limited time VIP, or limited consumables, then if you go to replay the game in a year on a fresh character, you'll come up against the exact same choke points again.

No matter how much money you could spend in a game that is F2P like this, you never truly feel like you own it. Just you're renting the "complete package" till your VIP or consumables run out. Games as a service everyone.

I truly wish this game had been purchasable because to me it does bring back the glory of some of the unique content of the PS2 era, and some of the PS3 era. The kind of things AAA devs won't make, but they get a vocal and passionate cult following because they're unique and great experiences. Like Tokyo Jungle.

There were so many mechanics I didn't understand at all, and the whole game felt like this weird mystery that I was barely stumbling through,

This something I really, like about the game, even though it is also frustrating at times

It reminds me of Dark Souls, in the era before all the mystery was stripped away within days of launch.

Nowadays so many games contain no surprises, and the few that do have it stripmined instantly. Let It Die just dropped out of no where, free to play, full of character and just fucking strange.

Real PS2 vibes.

Aizo

Banned
About the music, yeah, it's awesome. Especially since one of my favorite Japanese rock bands, winnie did a song (it's so fucking good live)! Great band, and really nice people in person. <3

HotchieMotchie

Neo Member
A little bit too unforgiving for my taste, but a cool game that I'm glad exists.

After the trainwreck that was Killer Is Dead I was really afraid that Grasshopper had lost its touch, but LiD thankfully embraces the goofy punk aesthetic of stuff like NMH rather than just trying to be weird for weirdness' sake.

It was also a pleasant surprise. I remember hearing absolutely nothing but negative impressions prior to release, and then it suddenly came out during PSX and I kept seeing more and more people play it from word of mouth.

I ended up uninstalling the game shortly after they reinstated the revival cost this summer. I just couldn't grind for money anymore to keep reviving dead characters that I'd invested time into, not to mention the items they carried upon death. Maybe eventually I'll go back, I quit around floor 35 or so.

Soundtrack is absolutely killer, agreed.

Zutrax

This something I really, like about the game, even though it is also frustrating at times

It reminds me of Dark Souls, in the era before all the mystery was stripped away within days of launch.

Nowadays so many games contain no surprises, and the few that do have it stripmined instantly. Let It Die just dropped out of no where, free to play, full of character and just fucking strange.

Real PS2 vibes.

You make a valid point, I don't entirely disagree with you. I do enjoy the mystery and the Dark Souls style obtuse nature of things. But there also just felt like some mechanics that were obtuse to me in ways that felt somewhat detrimental to how I wanted to play. One example being that I wasn't entirely sure how the whole body swapping/level up system worked. It's been awhile since I've played so I can't quite articulate it as well as I probably could have back then.

Really loved the soundtrack (Yamaoka is a god) and enjoyed most of my time with the game. But the grind gets really really rough and I had to tap out.

delSai

It was also a pleasant surprise. I remember hearing absolutely nothing but negative impressions prior to release, and then it suddenly came out during PSX and I kept seeing more and more people play it from word of mouth.
Previews were actually rather positive iirc, the "hate" came from people who were mad about losing Bergamo, every LiD thread would go to shit because of it.

GodofWine

Awesome game, but I hit my skill wall / the difficulty spike in the 20's somewhere.

I'd pay $5 for the easy - turn off trophies - let you get through the floors to see all the bosses and not die from one hit mode though.

If it was co-op I'd be back in I think though.

Innolis

I haven't checked in in months, has the technical aspect been polished yet?

Particularly the ridiculous loading times on opening shops and storage? That's what mainly killed the game fo rme, that and the ridiculous grind after floor 26.

Got to the upper 30s then hit the wall where the material grind was just too much.

Yeah this was my experience. Loved it, and then they just arbitrarily jacked the numbers up to get me to pay.

I had some fun, but I didn't like it enough to spend money on it, let alone not just one time.

Top Bottom