• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TotalBiscuit asks ESRB to consider microtransactions in its criteria

L~A

In a world where parents happily buy GTA and other 17+ games to their kids, I honestly don't see what would be the point of that... not to mention many of the games with such microtransactions are already rated Mature.

Tonyx

I think it's a great idea.

Games have evolved and ratings need to evolve to reflect that.
Not everyone is aware of how this things works.

It's like games have the 'gaming experience may change online' tag, they should also have something like 'game may cost much more' or things like that. At least it's an informed decision.

robotrock

Banned
You know what they say: a broken clock is forever bad, but a delayed one is right twice a day.

TotalBiscuit, I would sign this petition.

CookTrain

I'm curious if this would eventually double back on physical blind-pack situations as well if it goes beyond ESRB/PEGI/etc. They're the same situation and they are tantamount to gambling as well.

More transparency in stuff is a good thing.

I'm all for it. I think it may stop some Pubs from doing it or reconsider how they are doing it. I doubt someone like EA would want 17+ slapped on Madden or Take Two would want that on NBA.

This is a great idea. And in kids or sports games they would be forced to remove all the microtransactios.

Have it listed on the ratings labels or a banner on the box to say it has microtransactions.

OCD Guy

Good idea in theory but it won't have much effect.

Take a game like Fifa for example with pack opening being nothing more than glorified gambling, you think if it suddenly had an 18 rating little Jimmy's parents still wouldn't buy it for him?

My personal opinion is that loot crates and all of these glorified gambling transactions in games is going to blow up really badly and go away......

NekoFever

I see a role for the European Commission here as well.

They've already starting making noises about going after Apple and Google for exploitative in-app purchases, and iOS and Android have far more obvious parental control options than consoles do. I think it's just a matter of time.

Take a game like Fifa for example with pack opening being nothing more than glorified gambling, you think if it suddenly had an 18 rating little Jimmy's parents still wouldn't buy it for him?
Making it clear that a game has these systems are in place is important in its own right.

sphinx

the piano man
In a world where some parents happily buy GTA and other 17+ games to their kids, I honestly don't see what would be the point of that... not to mention many of the games with such microtransactions are already rated Mature.

fixed that for you

for more responsible parents, they'd probably like to know what games are filled with P2W-ridden microtransactions.

GHG

Gold Member
Good idea in theory but it won't have much effect.

My personal opinion is that loot crates and all of these glorified gambling transactions in games is going to blow up really badly and go away......

It's about making parents more aware of what their kids are exposed to. They might choose to still buy it for the child but they might prepare their child better in terms of educating them about the mechinics at play and what the child needs to be aware of.

As it stands most parents have no idea about what their kids are being exposed to in these games.

PsionBolt

The M rating of 17+ isn't good enough. In the vast majority of North America, the legal gambling age is 18, 19, or 21.

Games with real-money gambling should be rated AO, 18+.

Drackhorn

They've already starting making noises about going after Apple and Google for exploitative in-app purchases, and iOS and Android have far more obvious parental control options than consoles do. I think it's just a matter of time.

Let's hope they will.

angelic

Banned
I think the industry has genuine contempt for it's customers. We are the great unwashed buying preowned games, therefore they're justified in scamming us. It's the publisher antidote to preowned, turning every preowned copy into a portal to their microtransaction shop. Even when loot boxes are shut down, they'll move on to some other method. I think we're in for a few years of it, then legislation, then they move on to their next scam.

I like that idea quite a bit. And if it puts more pressure on devs / publishers to rid them for good eventually- it can only be a good thing.

I'm frankly sick of this industry and it's consant, grubby price gouging.

KyleCross

Making a game M-Rated just for having lootboxes? I'm sorry, but I can't agree with that. This sounds like a suggestion based around concerns of "gambling" but is just a cover with the actual motive being people want lootboxes gone and they know a lot of games would avoid an M rating.

Tho it seems like a lot of people don't care, they just want them gone. Guess you're all cool with $100 games then, right? Games have become too expensive for the $60 price tag, companies have to do something.

Top Bottom