• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are 'dank' memes mostly about hitler, nazi, school shooting, murder, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flkraven

I remember surfing the interwebs and coming across a funny picture, a 'meme' if you will, and I would snicker. It would mostly be some sort of inside joke to a show or an event or a funny reaction to something trivial or inconsequential. Then memes sort of took off and started showing up everywhere online.

From there, the backwoods 'dank' memes would be the freshest, brand new ones. Ones that have never been used yet, or about something that just happened. Now it seems that these 'dank' memes are mostly racist or about just everything you can think about that is awful. Rape, murder, incest, Nazis, hitler, genocide, 9/11, school shootings, whatever - these seem to be the 'dankest' memes now. It's weird cause random shit gets peppered in too, like Minecraft references and stuff. What happened? I only know this because I have a tendency of checking ALL on reddit to see if anything exciting has happened in the last hour or so, but these subreddits like 'dankmemes' or 'memeeconomy' pop up and bombard the feed with this heinous stuff.

Are these just subreddits for children just trying to be 'edgy'? Are these gathering spots for racists/terrible people, coming together under the guise of 'memes'? Have the awful people won, and are memes now only for terrible people? I don't understand where this shift came from.

Please enlighten me!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
From 4chan, which is a festering pile of Nazis.

FiggyCal

Banned
They're really not. There are a bunch of ironic Christian or communist memes out there as well.

Edit: If you're getting your dank memes from a neo-Nazi website (or sub Reddit), you should probably expect some racism.

Check out r/dankchristianmemes, r/bikinibottomtwitter, r/fullcommunism etc

jph139

The memes that can't be coopted and commercialized are the ones most valued.

Like, McDonalds isn't gonna come out with a "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" tweet.

Also - memes are by/for teenagers and teenagers are awful.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
r/dankmemes is a subreddit for more alt right types, that's really all there is to it.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
May I suggest visiting the 'Pics that make you laugh' thread in Off-topic Community. They are alright, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom