• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter suspends Rose McGowans account

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought this deserved it's own thread. Mods lock if otherwise.

Basically Twitter deemed McGowans tweeting about the whole Affleck/Weinstein stuff as offensive and suspended her account.

She posted about it over on her IG.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaImG1Mle7b/?taken-by=rosemcgowan

Might be time to delete Twitter.

Edit:

IG Post
Qtj1tIU.jpg

Edit 2:

Account now un-suspended with following explanation from Twitter:

We have been in touch with Ms. McGowan's team. We want to explain that her account was temporarily locked because one of her Tweets included a private phone number, which violates our Terms of Service. 1/3

The Tweet was removed and her account has been unlocked. We will be clearer about these policies and decisions in the future. 2/3

Twitter is proud to empower and support the voices on our platform, especially those that speak truth to power. We stand with the brave women and men who use Twitter to share their stories, and will work hard every day to improve our processes to protect those voices. 3/3

https://twitter.com/TwitterSafety/status/918502629679939584

MSNBC reported this morning that it was an automatic suspension based on too many tweets in rapid succession. Could be corporate bullshit though.

kmax

Twitter has no problem housing neo nazis, rapists and misogynists. Can't let victims of sexual abuse ruffle the big boys feathers though.

Trash company.

Sephzilla

A white supremacist sympathizer who bullies people for using their first amendment rights is allowed to keep using Twitter, but this gets suspended?

Twitter was a mistake

Atrophis

Nazi shitlords are allowed to run rampant, but they suspend a woman speaking out?

Wow.

We see it time and time again. On Facebook too. You can be as racist as you want but as soon as a woman speaks out about mistreatment and sexism...

MSNBC reported this morning that it was an automatic suspension based on too many tweets in rapid succession. Could be corporate bullshit though.

First time I ever hear of this rule.

I don't use Twitter other than to read people's tweets. For people who do... is that a real thing?

Horseshit. It's most likely because Twitter has some deal with Justice League and doesn't want to muddy the waters before release with Affleck bashing.

Meanwhile, Trump is tweeting out threats of nuclear war. This fucking country.

ApharmdX

Banned
Wholly uncalled for but not surprising. Silicon Valley is dominated by the same demographic of libertarian/profiteering shitlords who have no issue supporting Trump as long as it's good business for their platforms. It disgusts me when liberals look to these people to save us, or write fluff pieces fellating them.

CHC

(Just copying from other thread)

So not only is Twitter responsible for the rise of a public discourse so simplified and dumbed down that your argument is worthless if you can't express it in one easy-to-digest line, it's also an absolute stalwart protector of every kind of unfortunate status quo plaguing our society.

Got to love them.

LiK

I've seen people post a huge amount of tweets in succession and they're fine. What bullshit is this.

Wow. There are thousands and thousands of tweets that should result in people getting suspended and they do fuck all about them yet her relatively tame tweets are over the line? There really is no justification, Twitter is shite.

Twitter got paid off by the big wigs in Hollywood

Haha tweeting to much, I tweet like 20 a minute in the super bowl or live event
Gtfo Twitter

These fucking social networks, man.

Hate speech runs rampant, but someone literally telling a story of how they were assaulted by a celebrity is too much.

I once flagged a photo on Facebook of a man being beheaded. It was posted by some bullshit fake news site and then recommended for me somehow. Facebook said it didn't violate their ToS. And yet I have that image burned into my mind eternally.

If I didn't have to keep up with it for my work, I would definitely get myself off of these fucking things.

Zach

Well, hopefully Twitter says it was a mistake for whatever reason and it just brings more attention to the issue at hand. But until then, seems pretty gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom