• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flame in the Flood has its best debut on Switch - "Smashed expectations"

wKrODSO.png

"It's a real relief having our personal enthusiasm for the Switch being backed up with sales success," he told MCV. "It's been incredibly frustrating only having anecdotal evidence about the buzz for Switch titles, so we've been genuinely desperate to get a game out there so we could get some hard data ourselves.

"There was a real buzz in the office this morning – [managing director] Jason [Perkins] was in before me, which is very rare indeed – and it was specifically due to the excitement of seeing figures. I had a number in my head which I would be very pleased with – and it was a third over that.

"Indeed, it's fair to say it's had its best ever day on any console since we've been publishing it, beating any other format we have launched on. It's done just under half of our first full month forecast in a day.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/day-...s-beaten-all-other-formats-says-curve/0188186

Never heard of this game, but good for them.

It's always cool to hear a small dev success story. It keeps the industry healthy

A) I had no idea it released and

B) I had no idea it was on other platforms.

Good for the devs though, I'm definitely going to check it out.

I'm curious if a lot of these games are seeing more success simply because the handheld nature of the Switch suits indie games? Especially because a lot of them wont destroy your battery like the bigger games do.

Fireblend

Banned
Awesome, these success stories should make the Switch an even more appealing proposition for indies. It's great to see games like this one doing well even after we got Steamworld Dig 2, Golf Story, Stardew Valley and Axiom Verge in quick succession. Shows how invested its users are in the platform.

Meanwhile Switch owners everywhere continue to starve.

tkscz

Makes sense. There aren't too many big 3rd party games on the Switch yet, and the prices are just right, usually under $30. Plus the install base is large and getting bigger. The only thing that could make it better is a better eShop layout.

weekev

Banned
Honestly thought I’d get a chance to see to my backlog between Mario Rabbids as Mario Odyssey but the indies have kept me busy. This is now another on on my radar. It looks pretty good.

I'm curious if a lot of these games are seeing more success simply because the gandgeld nature of the Switch suits indie games? Especially because a lot of them wont destroy your battery like the bigger games do.

Almost certainly. I don't really want to play indies anywhere else.

WELL OF COURSE IT SOLD WELL. SWITCH OWNERS ARE STARVED FOR GAMES AFTER PLAYING ALL THE MANY OTHER GAMES THAT ALSO SOLD WELL BECAUSE THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE TO PLAY

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
This approach is super solid - it reigns in new Switch owners that might have missed this on other platforms AND also reaches double-dippers who'd like to have it on the go.

Never heard of the game either, but I'm happy the devs are happy and I always love hearing these success stories.

I've seen some friends with loads of digital/indie Switch games, but I'm starting to feel like an outcast with my 1-2 physical games (the joys of having a tight budget) XD

Fireblend

Banned
I'm curious if a lot of these games are seeing more success simply because the gandgeld nature of the Switch suits indie games? Especially because a lot of them wont destroy your battery like the bigger games do.

Anecdotically, I've been waiting on several indies to release on Switch (or a portable, in general) for me to buy them. Stardew Valley, Hollow Knight and Owlboy, to name a few. I'll also double dip for Kentucky Route Zero and there's plenty I would double dip for if they decided to go for a Switch release. VA-11 Halla, Read Only Memories, Night in the Woods, etc etc.

Crossing my fingers to see Donut County on Switch or its gonna join the list too.

WELL OF COURSE IT SOLD WELL. SWITCH OWNERS ARE STARVED FOR GAMES AFTER PLAYING ALL THE MANY OTHER GAMES THAT ALSO SOLD WELL BECAUSE THERE WAS NOTHING ELSE TO PLAY

And we'll still have the same discussions:
Every devs dont have the same expectations/Selling more than unkown amount isn't a specific data.

And yes, it remains a fact that Switch is still a young platform with a small library. It's easier for Flame in the Flood to exist here because the competition is far smaller.

Cerium

Switch is the perfect indie machine and I think Nintendo's curation has overall had a positive effect on the library.

Lead level designer of Bioshock Infinite is the lead on this game, and some ex-irrational staff staff work with him. Of course Bioshock and it are nothing alike, but that is a good pedigree and the game is really good too.

Good fit for Switch.

Fiendcode

Nintendo's not letting every dev do it, not even every established indie dev. Cosmic Star Heroine for example.
Had CSH not already been locked into a Sony exclusivity window maybe they would have? Axiom Verge pushed through after it’s initial rejection so it’s not like resources and approval aren’t getting looser.

Great news for the devs. The Switch is close to being indie heaven.

Game Maker Studio needs to get a Switch export, so we can get every indie game on this platform.

th4tguy

I do think, like the vita, there is an appeal to indie sized games on a portable system. The switch really is the next fluid move for vita users.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Makes sense. There aren't too many big 3rd party games on the Switch yet, and the prices are just right, usually under $30. Plus the install base is large and getting bigger. The only thing that could make it better is a better eShop layout.

Nah you can’t get bigger than Fifa in term of 3rd party support.

Lom1lo

What is this and is it good ? Looks cool. Seems like dont starve ?
And to Indies on Switch: I think most of these games profit from the absence of big hitters like cod etc, they simply get more attention im the store + there are mostly no technical shortcomings compared to ps4/xone. Because of this I incline to buy games Like this in my Switch.

Dredd97

A lot of indie devs are just getting lost in the PSN and xbox stores, the switch gives them a place to shine.

KodaRuss

I have it on PS4 but didnt really get hooked into it I guess. It was pretty fun for the few hours I played of it. Might give it another go. I guess I am not alone in this but the Switch is starting to slowly become my main console because I can take it where ever I want. Which is huge for me in my life right now (two year old and both wife and I work).

Fiendcode

And we'll still have the same discussions:
Every devs dont have the same expectations/Selling more than unkown amount isn't a specific data.

And yes, it remains a fact that Switch is still a young platform with a small library. It's easier for Flame in the Flood to exist here because the competition is far smaller.
There’s over 170 games on the eShop and Switch is only 7 months old. The time for this excuse has passed.

Top Bottom