• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Official Website Live, Confirms Location (CAUTION SPOILERS)

spad3

logo-smo_2x.png

Nintendo just updated the Mario Odyssey site to hype up the game:

http://supermario.nintendo.com/

On the "Explore the Map" page, it shows the various regions in the game along with the respective areas that can be visited within those regions:

Cascade Kingdom - Fossil Falls
Sand Kingdom - Tostarena
Wooded Kingdom - Steam Gardens
Lake Kingdom - Lake Lamode
Metro Kingdom - New Donk City
Seaside Kingdom - Bubblaine
Luncheon Kingdom - Mount Volbono
Snow Kingdom - Shiveria
Cap Kingdom - Bonneton

And the previously teased but now confirmed:

Mushroom Kingdom - Peach's Castle

Official site's background image for confirmation:
map.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wonder if that's it and there aren't going to be 15 like some people thought.

Oh well, I'm sure it's big enough as it needs to be.

spad3

We still haven't seen much of Lake Lamode or Shiveria, so I'm sure they're saving SOME secrets for launch.

With the Moon being so prominently displayed on the in-game map, it's absolutely GOING to be a location that you can visit (perhaps end-game).

Trrzs

No Forgotten Islands? Those aren't all the Kingdoms guys! They won't spoil all the game content in the website ;)

So the inclusion of the Mushroom Kingdom and Peach's castle is supposed to be some huge spoiler? LOL

If it was Delfino or something I'd get it.

We still haven't seen much of Lake Lamode or Shiveria, so I'm sure they're saving SOME secrets for launch.

With the Moon being so prominently displayed on the in-game map, it's absolutely GOING to be a location that you can visit (perhaps end-game).

Its in the damn theme song. We goin to the moon yall.

spad3

No Forgotten Islands? Those aren't all the Kingdoms guys! They won't spoil all the game content in the website ;)

We don't know how many locations each kingdom contains, so it's possible there are other side/secret areas to visit, but these are all the major locations around the map. 10 kingdoms total + Moon, excluding all side/secret locales.

Neoxon

So no Delfino Island? Then again, I suppose that Nintendo wouldn't spoil all of the kingdoms in the game just yet.

EDIT: Oh right, Forgotten Isle is missing, so of course this isn't the complete list.

SirShandy

The site has shown this map since at least the start of October, so this isn't new information.

Also, it's missing information of known kingdoms, like the Forgotten Isle, so we know it's not a complete map.

spad3

The site has shown this map since at least the start of October, so this isn't new information.

Also, it's missing information of known kingdoms, like the Forgotten Isle, so we know it's not a complete map.

the map was shown but I don't remember Peach's Castle being on the map.

As for the Forgotten Isle, it's not a major kingdom so all the side/secret areas aren't displayed here.

ZugZug123

Replying without reading OP just to say I'M SO HYPED FOR THIS GAME! And how hard it is to keep a modicum of blackout on it.

Kinsei

Banned
Little Mons†er;252200474 said:
since when did the lake kingdom get confirmed? we haven't even seen it yet I think?

It was on the amiibo box. We have actually seen some footage of it, and it's even on the box. It's just that everyone assumed it was part of the Cascade or Seaside Kingdom.

SirShandy

the map was shown but I don't remember Peach's Castle being on the map.

As for the Forgotten Isle, it's not a major kingdom so all the side/secret areas aren't displayed here.

Gonintendo put up this article on October 5th, (when the Odyssey site did it's last major update), showing the map which includes Peach's Castle on it, so it's almost two weeks old.

There's nothing indicated by Nintendo that there is more than one location in each kingdom, or that this map is a final list of all the kindgoms unless you're going by pure assumption.

Not going to read this thread since I've essentially been on blackout ever since I saw the Direct in September...

But I wanted to say that, with Odyssey, it's clear that Mario is returning to what he used to be known the most for (besides being a consistently great franchise, obviously), and that is "Surprise". With Odyssey, the main goal seems to be all about wowing players with new ideas, locations, enemies, abilities, and more. I think the biggest reason why we're all so excited for Odyssey is because Nintendo has been showing us a game that's more daring, more imaginative, than other recent entries.

Because of this, I'd advise people to just go on blackout until you get the game for yourself. I think your experience will greatly benefit from it... possibly more than any previous Nintendo game. But of course that's just my opinion and I have yet to play the game.

Neoweee

Other Kingdoms:

The Lost Isle is the twilight/dusk tropical island.

There's a lot of hints that you eventually go to the moon.

Delfino island appears on some of the promo maps.

There is a lava world that looks like it might be on a peninsula on the continent of New Donk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_jQH1W0UBY&list=TLGGbt7ihJ2E5EcxNjEwMjAxNw

There's also the Bat Wing looking area of the map that is probably the "spooky" kingdom.

That would put it at 15 kingdoms. Not saying that's all correct, but most of the stuff on the map that is distinctly shaped is a kingdom with a matching theme.

While I will not be disappointed at 10 worlds + moon, I refuse to believe they have revealed all of the worlds before launch.

There are still areas on the map that are very obviously designed to look like objects (palm trees, bat wing) that have no levels revealed or associated with them yet, and I can't imagine a Mario game without a spooky world/level. Even Sunshine had a haunted hotel.

(and no, Bonneton does not count, that's a world built around the game's main hat gimmick, not a classic Boo-filled ghost house level)

Hmm... I don't want to see the standard NSMB world themes of Grass, Desert, Snow, Beach, Forest, Mountains, Sky, Lava and Star in the games. Even in 3D World those themes seemed to keep showing up.

And it looks like Odyssey is bringing a fair number of them back as well on that list.

Hope they are doing something fun with them if it is repeating all the old themes.

Kinsei

Banned
While I will not be disappointed at 10 worlds + moon, I refuse to believe they have revealed all of the worlds before launch.

There are still areas on the map that are very obviously designed to look like objects (palm trees, bat wing) that have no levels revealed or associated with them yet, and I can't imagine a Mario game without a spooky world/level. Even Sunshine had a haunted hotel.

(and no, Bonneton does not count, that's a world built around the game's main hat gimmick, not a classic Boo-filled ghost house level)

The palm trees is the kingdom with the islands in poison water that was shown in the direct.

Top Bottom