• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump claims Obama, other presidents never called families of fallen soldiers

This, of course, is false.

New York Times said:
WASHINGTON — President Trump falsely asserted on Monday that his predecessor, Barack Obama, and other presidents did not contact the families of American troops killed in duty, drawing a swift, angry rebuke from several of Mr. Obama's former aides.

Answering a question about why he had not spoken publicly about the killing of four American Green Berets in an ambush in Niger two weeks ago, Mr. Trump said he had written personal letters to their families and planned to call them in the coming week.

”If you look at President Obama and other presidents, most of them didn't make calls," Mr. Trump said during a news conference in the Rose Garden with the Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell. ”A lot of them didn't make calls. I like to call when it's appropriate."

Mr. Trump's assertion belied a long record of meetings Mr. Obama held with the families of killed service people, as well as calls and letters. Mr. Obama regularly traveled to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware to greet the caskets of troops, a ritual that began early in his presidency before he decided to deploy 30,000 troops to Afghanistan.

”This is an outrageous and disrespectful lie even by Trump standards," Benjamin J. Rhodes, a former deputy national security adviser to Mr. Obama, posted on Twitter. ”Also," Mr. Rhodes added, ”Obama never attacked a Gold Star family."

When Mr. Trump was pressed a few minutes later about his claim about Mr. Obama, he waffled.

”I don't know if he did," the president said. ”I was told he didn't often, and a lot of presidents don't. They write letters."

”President Obama, I think, probably did sometimes and maybe sometimes he didn't," Mr. Trump continued. ”That's what I was told. All I can do is ask my generals."

The bottom never ends, but it's pretty disgusting using dead soldiers in yet another lie.

giga

ixY7Gec.png

Full Pop quote:

I’ve been amazed and disappointed by so much of what this President had said, and his approach to running this country, which seems to be one of just a never ending divisiveness. But his comments today about those who have lost loved ones in times of war and his lies that previous presidents Obama and Bush never contacted their families, is so beyond the pale, I almost don’t have the words.

This man in the Oval Office is a soulless coward who thinks that he can only become large by belittling others. This has of course been a common practice of his, but to do it in this manner–and to lie about how previous Presidents responded to the deaths of soldiers–is as low as it gets. We have a pathological liar in the White House: unfit intellectually, emotionally, and psychologically to hold this office and the whole world knows it, especially those around him every day. The people who work with this President should be ashamed because they know it better than anyone just how unfit he is, and yet they choose to do nothing about it. This is their shame most of all.

https://www.thenation.com/article/a-soulless-coward-coach-gregg-popovich-responds-to-trump/

ItIsOkBro

trump doesn't know a thing: "most people don't know this thing"

trump doesn't do a thing: "most people don't do this thing"

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Trump tells a lie. Propoganda ‘News’ backs it up. His supporters believe it. It becomes their new truth. Rinse. Repeat.

Nothing to see here, really.

Not

Banned
Isn't it scary that the President of the United States can now just say blatant lies with no consequences at all? Seems like a terrible precedent, especially when we eventually elect a Richard Spencer type, which IS happening. White supremacists aren't done kicking and screaming after Trump, by a long shot.

Let's see that standard continue to be held with the first woman President and next PoC President. Spoiler: it'll matter a lot more for some reason.

Madness

Whataboutism at its finest. All this guy is good for. Insulting prisoners of war like McCain for being captured when he himself is a draft dodger. Insulting the parents of a fallen soldier when his kids are sacks of shit who were fed with silver spoons. Telling the wife of a dead SEAL that her husband is probably happy he got a long standing ovation rather than he died for no good reason during a dangerous raid that was haphazardly approved.

When you run out of actual parts of his legacy you can legitimately erase, start lying about what he did to erase what's left

Not

Banned
Trump tells a lie. Propoganda ‘News’ backs it up. His supporters believe it. It becomes their new truth. Rinse. Repeat.

Actually, EVERYTHING to see here. This is shit-stirring, course of human history-altering stuff right here.

Ouroboros

When I was watching this live, I’m glad someone pressed this comment later after he said it. He is such a backtracked. What a con man.

Dommo

Even as a sarcastic, cynical, defeated post, these comments are really unhelpful. "Nothing to see here, really" - just because it's not out of the ordinary for Trump's standards, it's not a normal thing by presidential standards and people should be outraged and aghast every single time something like this happens.

Don't normalize this behavior. Even as a negative.

Shadybiz

Wow at that O'Malley tweet. Well-deserved, though.

I am sure Kelly has been fantasizing about pounding this asshole's face in, especially after this.

Everyone working for Trump especially the former Generals who have sacrificed for this country, should be ashamed of themselves for allowing him to continue to speak out like this, produce falsehoods, and further divide the country with his lies and hate.

finowns

Alyssa Mastromonaco, former deputy chief of staff for operations under Obama, calling Mr. Trump's comments a "f----ing lie."

"To say President Obama (or past presidents) didn't call the family member of soldiers KIA (killed in action) -- he's a deranged animal," she added

That made me smile.

This guy is so shameful.

Instro

It's amazing how often he defers to "that's what I was told" or "that's what I heard", as if it absolves him of any responsibility for what he says.

Top Bottom