• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS America - "Microsoft's not very supportive of Japanese Games"

Rymuth

"Honestly speaking, Microsoft's approach to Japanese games hasn't been very supportive," NIS America president and CEO Takuro Yamashita told MCV. "Microsoft, you know, for Japanese games, there's still a very niche element to them, no matter what it might be.

"Microsoft also has a minimum order quantity for their games, and their whole structure isn't really geared toward niche games or smaller games like Japanese titles, so they're not really supportive of Japanese games or developers."

Falcom chimes in

Nihon Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo agrees, telling MCV he "isn't diametrically opposed to working on Xbox," but that the small audience for the console in Japan means it's unlikely to ever become a viable platform for the RPG studio.

"Falcom is obviously a Japan-focused developer and looking at the situation in Japan, the Xbox has had a difficult time," Kondo said.

- MCVUK

Fly me to Japan if old

Renna Hazel

I'm not supporter of MS at the moment but that sounds more like they're not supportive of small studios. It doesn't sound like a Japan centered policy or anything.

Eria

I don't care what japanese dev say

#believe

phil-spencer-believe.jpg

"Microsoft also has a minimum order quantity for their games"

Still?

Dinosaurs.

This policy is the reason Shovel Knight never received a physical version on XB1.

Vita, 3DS, Wii U, and PS4 all have a physical version of the game. Switch likely will as well once the final DLC drops (just speculation on my part).

I've never understood why they have to release games on disc for these niche Japanese titles, just put them up on the store, test the water.

"Microsoft also has a minimum order quantity for their games"

Still?

Dinosaurs.

Sounds like, from some interviews with the folk from Limited Run Games, that it is out of MS' hands somewhat. That they don't own enough of the manufacturing to be able to decide print minimums in all cases.

It does, again from LRG statements, sound like it is something MS is trying to get changed though.

LQX

Sort of the reason they are not included in Limited Run releases.

That said, you don't have to release your games physically. What about digital? No minimum there and still some of these Japanese companies do not put their games on XBox.

ohlawd

Why is Falcom even chiming in. they're so small that they wouldn't support the other big Japanese company. what they say don't mean shit

A lot of devs skip Xbox unless Microsoft comes to talk to them directly. Puyo Puyo Tetris released on X1 in Japan, and when they brought the game to the West they skipped the console. They have a working and up-to-date Xbox One version and an English one, yet they skipped X1 completely. Sometimes it's just nonsense tbh, no reason why some games shouldn't be ported to X1. I understand games that only really sell in Japan but when you go worldwide it's a dumb move that smells Japanese pride rather than financial sense.

That works out, because Japan isn't very supportive of Microsoft games either.

Remember the days of lost odessey and blue dragon and whatnot on xbox? Them were the days.

Wereroku

Sort of the reason they are not included in Limited Run releases.

That said, you don't have to release your games physically. What about digital? No minimum there and still some of these Japanese companies do not put their games on XBox.

Well you see being a Japanese company they want to release it in Japan as well where you have to have a physical release or you lose 90% of your sales. I think people are missing the point that they aren't just talking about releasing in the US/EU.

A lot of devs skip Xbox unless Microsoft comes to talk to them directly. Puyo Puyo Tetris released on X1 in Japan, and when they brought the game to the West they skipped the console. They have a working and up-to-date Xbox One version and an English one, yet they skipped X1 completely. Sometimes it's just nonsense tbh, no reason why some games shouldn't be ported to X1. I understand games that only really sell in Japan but when you go worldwide it's a dumb move that smells Japanese pride rather than financial sense.

The PS4 version was only release on a disc so there was some speculation that the Tetris license didn't allow a digital release on the PS4/XBO in the us. So they probably estimated they wouldn't sale as many copies as they had to print in the US.

Masx

Banned
So tell me why people are excited over Xbox One X?

I can't for the life of me think of any upcoming games, first party mostly, that would make me want to exchange out my current Xbox One that has been collecting dust since Gears 4 and Halo (never finished) 5.

MS gave a good effort in trying to get a Japanese audience and still failed, so at this point I don't know if I can even blame them for not even bothering with it anymore.

So tell me why people are excited over Xbox One X?

I can't for the life of me think of any upcoming games, first party mostly, that would make me want to exchange out my current Xbox One that has been collecting dust since Gears 4 and Halo (never finished) 5.

We almost ended page 1 without an "Xbox has no games" shitpost. Come on guys, you can do better.

Marcel

Personal attacks against people at companies you don't like is really lame.

Look if you have the evidence that Phil is actually doing something in Japan other than vacationing and buying hentai the burden of proof is on you. ;)

though why you're getting alarmed about a joke is beyond me

Top Bottom