• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Completely fixes FM7’s stuttering issues

After more than an hour playing Forza Motorsport 7, we did not experience a single stutter. We don’t know what Microsoft has done, however the game stuttered like crazy prior to this update.

We’ve tested the game on both NVIDIA’s and AMD’s GPUs, using the exact same drivers. And while we did not notice any framerate boost, our gaming experience was flawless. Thanks to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, we were able to unlock the framerate and retain really high framerates. Framepacing was great and there weren’t any stutters even after our extensive testing.

We can confirm that Turn10 has not released any new update for the game, so this overall improvement is entirely thanks to the latest Windows 10 update. As such, we strongly suggest downloading it if you are planning to get this new racing game.We’ve also tested Forza Horizon 3 and we did not notice any stuttering issues in that open-world racing game too

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/windo...-fixes-forza-motorsport-7s-stuttering-issues/

Saw this posted on reddit and decided to post here too... for those still encountering issues with FM7 on PC you may want to try out the new windows update..

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Could you provide a link to the source that you're quoting?

EDIT: Thanks! I was curious who "we" was.

Paragon

That's mostly been my experience too. I tried the demo again after updating and it's now running almost flawlessly at 3440x1440 at ~100 FPS on my R7-1700X / GTX 1070 system.
However there are still certain points on all of the tracks where the game stutters for a brief moment. It's the same location every time, which feels like it's a streaming issue or some memory management thing the game is doing.
And I do have to make sure that Game Mode is disabled or else I get erratic performance.

Primus

Both a friend and I are also seeing better game performance since the Fall Creator's Update, especially load times. Warframe for me gets from the initial loading splash screen to login in about half the time it did prior to the update, and the about 1-second delay after login is now gone. My friend's rig loads Shadow of War several seconds faster than previously, and he's on an HDD (as opposed to my SSD).

'Game Mode' or whatever it's called, measurably improves my minimum framerate on Forza Horizon 3. I swear it did basically nothing in the original Creators Update from the spring. Make sure you're enabling that when you test.

Edit: Saw the comment about it still causing issues for at least one poster. Make sure to try it both ways then I guess!

scitek

Can you use Dolby Digital Live with this latest update? The Creator's Update breaks it, so my living room PC hasn't been updated yet.

Ogawa-san

Still not stutter-free, especially during loading screens, but the difference is night and day. I'd say it's playable now.

Still odd how it stutters when neither CPU or GPU are capped, though. I should be able to play it at 1080p with a 970 without issues.

ascully

Still stuttering for me in menus, its like whenever the game is loading your disk access is pegged at 100% and everything slows to a crawl.

Still not stutter-free, especially during loading screens, but the difference is night and day. I'd say it's playable now.

Still odd how it stutters when neither CPU or GPU are capped, though. I should be able to play it at 1080p with a 970 without issues.

data streaming prehaps? dunno.

Kadin

The update also fixed the pretty annoying micro-stutter in Hob. I'm not sure it was fixed entirely from this update since it's an issue on PS4 as well but the most recent game patch along with this fixed it completely for me.

Hasney

Do you guys do a complete format and reinstall when you update or do you just update regularly?

The only time I've had reformat with Windows 10 was when the Windows Store stopped letting me download my purchases. Then it happened again so in just said fuck it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
cool, does it fix the 2-3 second freeze every lap? because if so then i might buy it.

and no doubt i'll get people coming in with "doesn't happen for me!!" well it does for me so those kinda posts aren't constructive.

Mohasus

Bayonetta is now playable for me. Not sure if it is related to the update, but it stop being the stutter fest that it was.

Kadin

Do you guys do a complete format and reinstall when you update or do you just update regularly?
I can't think of a time where I've done a format for an update. I'll do it once a year maybe just to get that fresh clean start but never as a prerequisite before updating.

Hasney

Bayonetta is now playable for me. Not sure if it is related to the update, but it stop being the stutter fest that it was.

Huh, thought this was going to be something with UWP they fixed or something. Hope MS says what they fixed, I'd love to know what they changed and why some games are fine.

DarKshodaN

call me crazy but i think this update fixed my stuttering problem with evil within 2, might bé a placebo but it's totally smooth now

With this Windows update the demo racing does run better for me, though it already wasn't that bad with the latest Nvidia drivers. But with loading screens I still get unbelievable levels of hitching, to the extent that even the audio gets distorted. The demo can't even play the post-race advertising videos without hitching! This is on an SSD, GTX 970, recommended settings. You could argue this doesn't affect gameplay, I guess, but I find it really distracting and ugly. It severely hurts the experience.

I might try out Horizon 3 later, but honestly I've never figured out a good way to casually benchmark that. I've fired it up before, played for hours thinking it was better, only to have issues the very next session.

For what little it's worth I seemed to get somewhat better performance in Ghost Recon Wildlands, and maybe slightly faster loading times in Guild Wars 2. This Windows update does seem quite good, but I wouldn't personally expect the apparent miracles promised by the thread title.

cool, does it fix the 2-3 second freeze every lap? because if so then i might buy it.

and no doubt i'll get people coming in with "doesn't happen for me!!" well it does for me so those kinda posts aren't constructive.
What sort of answer are you possibly looking for here? You want people to say yes but you also don't want to hear yes?

Paragon

Tested the demo today with the settings it decided for me. Nope, 60fps and still the annoying non-stop hiccups that makes you feel you're driving a giant rubber ball.
I give up on FH3 on PC.
Do you have Threaded Optimization enabled, and have you tried toggling Game Mode on/off? Depending on the CPU you have, one may be better than the other.
Horizon 3 seems to have issues running above 60 FPS in my experience - at least in the cutscenes.

Ogawa-san

Do you have Threaded Optimization enabled, and have you tried toggling Game Mode on/off? Depending on the CPU you have, one may be better than the other.
Horizon 3 seems to have issues running above 60 FPS in my experience - at least in the cutscenes.
I tried both, didn't help.

What seems to "fix" it is limiting to 30fps ingame. I get stutters at 1080p@60fps on medium, I get none at 4k@30fps on ultra. I guess these games can't deal with so little RAM/VRAM.

Ullus

chrome_2017-10-21_23-i4sj6.png

heh

Last time I played Forza 7, I was getting some serious stuttering on a particular race. It was game-breakingly bad in this particular case (first race of open-wheeled legends). I redid the race now after the update. Can't say I noticed a single stutter!

:O

The rotating display in the dealer section runs smoothly around now as well.

Top Bottom