• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian dev Eric posts kinda-sorta-not-really transphobic meme

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/LotteMakesStuff/status/921446452727025665
szOynWQ.png

I'm guessing this is Eric Fenstermaker, writer and designer of games like Fallout New Vegas, South Park, and Pillars Of Eternity at Obsidian.
Among the other problems with this thread, that's Eric Neigher not Fenstermaker.

Fenstermaker isn't an Obsidian employee anymore but is doing freelance work for them on PoE2.
"Did you just assume my gender?" is a transphobic meme mocking transgender and genderqueer people.

His apology that he was ignorant to the meme's origins and didn't mean to offend (who does?):
SrG18iX.jpg

Mesoian

I think this is a case of "everyone thinks they're fucking hilarious all the time until someone points out the fact that they don't understand their own jokes".

Shape up dude, don't just parrot shit you see on reddit, especially if you don't know what it means.

I actually expected the Vertibird comment to be the thing.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I knew that meme but had no idea of it's origin also.
That pinned tweet tho is....weird at best. In combination it certainly doesn't look great

This seems more like a guy not understanding a a bad joke and having terrible humour. Also he apologised and thanked people for explaining to him.

Gin-Shiio

With the info we have, we cannot conclude as to his intentions. His pinned tweet doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me however.

Granjinha

What's the polemic here? He apologized, thanked people for educating that it was offensive and apparently learned with this.

Hong

Neo Member
Meh, it's just a dumb meme. I don't think he was implying something hateful with it, even if he was aware of it's origin. Don't read too much into it.

So pretty much just don't make jokes on the internet anymore because someone just has to whine about it on Twitter to see if they can get someone fired.

That's...not that bad. I would have never known that was a meme if I hadn't heard of it here.
What's more I don't see any hate in it. He was just joking around. At most he was being ignorant.
It seems people are going out of their way to start shit. Please don't. We have a TON of real shit to deal with right now. First is first.

Btw I like the pinned tweet. It's funny.

Mesoian

I thought that meme made fun of the overzealous tumblr crowd.

That's kind of a limp scapegoat though, considering the "overzealous tumblr crowd" people are making fun of are usually LGBT+ pages. "Oh no, we're not being transphobic, we're taking the piss out of Tumblr. So it's fine. Because we said so."

Regardless, in this instance, it's not that bad. Slap on the wrist and stop reciting things you see on the internet if you don't know it's meaning. If you still want to use it, Snopes is RIGHT THERE.

Syntsui

Conservative dude completely oblivious to social issues, probably due to the environment he is inserted, making completely tone deaf jokes about such issues. Yup he is one of those dudes.

Man this thread seems pretty distasteful to me. This is just a random dude who said something innocuous and you’re trying to call him out and put him on blast? This place...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom