• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Improve how PUBG runs by turning off DVR

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
https://wccftech.com/pubg-xbox-performance-improve-gamedvr/

Slow storage is the culprit. Source; I disabled the DVR on my OG Xbox when bf1 was released, to help alleviate the constant frame drops and stuttering that I was getting every match. And I left it disabled until my Samsung 850 Pro arrived a couple of weeks later (November 2016). The SSD completely eliminated all frame drops and stuttering, in bf1, but also in any other game that I was running from SSD. I now run ssd with Xbox one x, and pubg is an absolute blast!

I initially tried absolutely everything to fix the stuttering and fps issues when bf1 was first released, but as soon as I disabled the DVR, and it was a massive improvement, I knew straight away that the issues were caused by the slow ass HDD in the OG Xbox One. Crucial SSD’s are also a very good option for the OG Xbox, and they are also dirt cheap right now.

I'm sure I must have heard before that you could disable the DVR capabilites for the xbox one, but right at this moment this is eye opening to me. Although I don't have pubg, I basically don't use the feature, so I should be turning this off. Thanks op

Should an SSD improve things on X1X as well?

Possibly, but when optimized properly, the X will pre-load the 4 extra gigs of RAM with extra textures, so I’m not sure how beneficial it would be. There won’t be as much need to constantly read from the hard drive.

The load times on many games are already shorter and some games have reduced pop-in because if the extra ram. I read an interview about this somewhere, but don’t remember where.

Maximus P

I can also confirm that a change of hard drive helps. I have a friend that has been experiencing problems with textures not loadinh who swapped his install from his (nearly full) internal HD to his external HD and he's been having a much better experience.

This may be slightly off topic but are there any breakdowns of hard drive speed improvements and benchmarks with SSDs in an X?

They did that kind of testing for Pro, would love to see how fast the X can go with one

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Tempted to test if this improves other games at all...

I tested it on Fortnite with uncapped frames on a 1440p 165hz monitor and the monitor software claims it was running right around 100 fps with DVR off and dipped to 60-80 fps with DVR on.

Granted this was very non Digital Foundry like testing but I can say Fortnite at least I can feel the difference with DVR off.

Top Bottom