• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Marco1

I am having an issue with my slim.
While playing braid the sound would cut-out and the the xbox would lock-up few minutes later.
Is this a braid issue or hardware related?
Thanks.

Dipswitch

So it looks like my 2007 XBox 360 model (Falcon I think) is beginning to pack it in - vertical black lines all over the shop. How much are MS charging for repairs these days? Even worth trying to get it fixed since it's out of warranty?

Katzii

I'd say to look into how much more expensive it is to buy a new console. I remember when my cousin went to have his repaired, it wasn't much more to just buy a new one.

Back when I was on the 360 bandwagon, I lost two consoles to red rings within two months. Thankfully all within warranty, and I kicked off enough stink to get a free wireless controller out of the deal.

Console never died after that, but my interest for it did. I occasionally miss it, but only due to "nostalgia" of a few years ago than for any actual games.

bPod

My launch 360 was RROD last month and I got the Slim a few days after
but lately, the system has been freezing while I was playing ME3.

Should I exchange it?

My 360 died about six months ago, and I'm finally going to have the cash to fix it within the next month. $90 through Microsoft seems way too steep though... are there cheaper alternatives? Does Best Buy's Geek Squad do Xbox repairs? What about Radio Shack?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
So my 360 just died. 3 red lights. I don't want to pay to have it fixed or replace it. I'd rather just sell it off as non-working on ebay and get whatever I can get for it. Is there any way I can deactivate my XBL account without access to the console itself?

chriskun

Unless they are now selling a 360 for under $90 then I have no clue why I'd want to spend extra on a new one. I'm looking to spend the LEAST amount of money here :p

My repaired 360 lasted me for more than 2 years I believe, but the first time it died it only lasted about a year. My xbox did just red ring on my fucking 30th birthday of all days!!! Is that symbolic or what? Does anyone think there is any chance of there being a price drop at E3???

Shiloa

I'm getting overheating on my 360 despite it, and the power supply, being more than satisfactorily ventilated. I can't play for longer than 10 mins. It's an old 20gb unit, but my PS3 was my main console so I've actually used it very little.

Any ideas? It can't be dying surely....?

rvy

Banned
There goes another one. UPS came to pick it up this morning.
Piece of shit hardware. Waited for an Elite so I wouldn't have this problem, died anyway. Gave it to a friend after getting it back from Microsoft, bought a Slim, the Slim died.

Fuck you, Microsoft. Motherfuckers. Not buying any more consoles from you.

My friend's X360 Slim HDD is dead. So it seems.
Red "dot" of death, Error E68.

When he takes out the HDD, everything's fine.

Is the HDD truly dead or can save his files somehow?

Help out folks!

Ty4on

So my 360 just died. 3 red lights. I don't want to pay to have it fixed or replace it. I'd rather just sell it off as non-working on ebay and get whatever I can get for it. Is there any way I can deactivate my XBL account without access to the console itself?
You could try the towel trick and while it's running ok deactivate the account. Towel trick simply means overheating it (can also use plastic bags or open it and plug out the fans) which warps the motherboard and for a short period of time makes it work.

I'm getting overheating on my 360 despite it, and the power supply, being more than satisfactorily ventilated. I can't play for longer than 10 mins. It's an old 20gb unit, but my PS3 was my main console so I've actually used it very little.

You could try to get rid of dust. If you open it then a paper fan shroud for the GPU could also help.
xbox360heatsinkmod_8.jpg

This was happening to me and it red ringed yesterday. I rarely play it. If anyone knows a good guide to open the case, that would be helpful since I think cleaning the dust inside would help a lot.

My story happened in 2011 when I was playing Metro 2033. The death of my 360 didnt make me mad but what followed did. My 360 was showing me 2 red lights, I looked it up and it meant that my 360 was overheated, so I waited hours, days, weeks. It still showed me 2 red lights with no error code. Then I said fuck it and ripped the skin off my 360 until it was just a metal box, I turned it on again and guess what? 3 red lights.

It even camouflaged its RROD can you believe that?

So I fixed my RRoD 360 a couple months ago with a kit I bought online, and it Red Ringed again. Ugh. AND I noticed shelling out $100 to Microsoft to have it fixed only comes with a 90 day warranty? What kind of bullshit is that?

So if I do send it in to Microsoft, is there a good chance it will last beyond 3 months? Are there any studies done on that sort of thing?

As much as it would suck, I'd be willing to pay them to have it fixed if I can get it to last me until the 720 comes out

Marco1

Just purchased a 250GB slim from a popular retailer and it's manufacture date is October 2011.
Stores must be packed to the ceilings with these things.

LakeEarth

When my xbox broke and I sent it to MS many moons ago, they accidentally sent two xbox 360s back. The first broke, got repaired, broke again, and now the second one broke. Stupid unreliable pieces of crap!

How reliable are the new Slims, and can you use an old style hard drive on it?

back in the day I used to have a 360 I bought a warranty through best buy for like $50 than it fucked up RROD. Than i got 2nd one with the warranty I had for free and bought another warranty for this one after less than 1 year guess what? BAM piece of shit. Than i got 3rd one said fuck it and sold it to my friend. Used the money to buy a PS3 and MGS4 and 4 years latter here I am playing Pece walked HD. Moral of the story is don't buy $hit$oft related hardware ever again in your life unless you like to throw away money.

LakeEarth

Anyone have any good "open your 360 and fix it yourself" guides? I realize that anything I do will only work for a couple of months, but I got two broken xbox 360s in my closet doing nothing.

My 360 (older version) isn't technically dead, but it's having a really hard time reading discs (my own fault) so I opted for one of the S version (250 GB)

There's just one slight problem: Don't remember the password I used when I first created my account. Waiting for Windows Live support to help, but if that doesn't work, I'll probably just get a 360 Arcade console from Amazon

Just a word of warning, back up your 360 data often. Last year - around August I guess - my 360 made this strange clicking noise. It was on at the time, so I turned it off an back on again and I got some error message. Looked up the error, turns out my hard drive had died. 5 years of saves, gone! I wasn't too happy, especially given that cloud saves for the 360 were a month or two around the corner. I had a few saves backed up onto another hard drive, but not many. I pretty much gave up on my 360 from that point and moved to the PC, where I am much happier.

My hard drive that died came with the Slim, so it was under warranty and they exchanged it at least. Still, I own 3 360's and they all have had problems. Two of them won't read discs and yeah, my Slim's hard drive died. Terrible reliability issues. It's funny, I still bust out my Mega Drive and NES from time to time and they run like champs...

DonMigs85

Just a word of warning, back up your 360 data often. Last year - around August I guess - my 360 made this strange clicking noise. It was on at the time, so I turned it off an back on again and I got some error message. Looked up the error, turns out my hard drive had died. 5 years of saves, gone! I wasn't too happy, especially given that cloud saves for the 360 were a month or two around the corner. I had a few saves backed up onto another hard drive, but not many. I pretty much gave up on my 360 from that point and moved to the PC, where I am much happier.

My hard drive that died came with the Slim, so it was under warranty and they exchanged it at least. Still, I own 3 360's and they all have had problems. Two of them won't read discs and yeah, my Slim's hard drive died. Terrible reliability issues. It's funny, I still bust out my Mega Drive and NES from time to time and they run like champs...

This is why I save all game data to a flash drive instead.

What the hell's wrong with my controller? I run it from normal AA batteries but it keeps giving me the "please connect controller" message way before you'd expect the batteries to run out. After a while of it randomly doing this, I think it happens right before the controller is supposed to rumble (I'm playing Skyrim a lot, and it always seems to disconnect after starting a fight, but not always). Is there a loose wire in there or something?

The disc drive just went out on my best friends Xbox.

Stealing a disc in the process.

I don't think I'll be buying another MS console after this. I stopped buying Sony consoles for less.

3rd Xbox after they said they wouldn't fix the 2nd. Best friend lent me his. And now it's fucked.

What the hell's wrong with my controller? I run it from normal AA batteries but it keeps giving me the "please connect controller" message way before you'd expect the batteries to run out. After a while of it randomly doing this, I think it happens right before the controller is supposed to rumble (I'm playing Skyrim a lot, and it always seems to disconnect after starting a fight, but not always). Is there a loose wire in there or something?

I have the exact same problem, i think it's a loose connection between the battery pack and the contoller, plugging the pack in and out a few times tends to resolve it, but it's annoying!

Shiloa

My 360 is dead. It has two lights and just switches off.

I'm going to sell it as faulty on ebay but is there a way to remove personal info without turning it on?

RS4-

Bah fuck, was playing Forza Horizon. Powered off. Won't turn on again. Occasionally it'll have a solid green light in the middle, other times no light at all. Dvd tray still opens up at least and the power brick is fine.

I guess I should try and do the whole clamp/reflow thing.

Croc

Banned
I have a question about my 360 controller.

I thought my brother took our 360 and stuff to college with him when he moved out, but it turns out he just took most of the controllers and some games. Last time I came home I just packed up the rest of the 360 stuff and brought it along (with only 1 controller). I set everything up and it seems to work fine, but with one exception.

I can't get the controller to turn on at all. I dunno anything about that compatibility with the controllers and battery packs so I'll just list everything I know about it. It's a black wireless controller and the battery pack is one of the rechargeable ones. The controller has the battery sensor things at the bottom of the inside (I don't know if they're all like this or not).

So I'm wondering if I just have an incompatible battery pack (rechargeable one when I need a battery one, I don't even know if that's a real thing or not) or if the controller itself is faulty and I need to buy a new one. I'm hoping it's just that I need a battery pack cause then it'll only cost me about $5 as opposed to $50.

pje122

So I experienced my first red-ring today.

While playing Resident Evil 6, it red-ringed twice in the exact same spot. However, it turned on right after... which I thought was kind of weird. The console behaves and sounds completely normal until I get to a specific part in Chris' campaign where it just shuts off.

So I guess I should try to follow a guide like this?

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm

Is this guide still relevant? Do I even need to do this since the 360 isn't bricked?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
My 2007 model finally started acting up yesterday. I turned it on and the screen was all garbled. I tried resetting the resolution, but that didn't work. No red ring either. Ended up doing the towel trick. Its working again, but I'm sure it won't last long.

my less than one year old xbox 360 slim 250GB died a few minutes ago.

i was literally almost at the end of halo 4, when green vertical lines came all over the screen. i quickly saved the game, went to the dashboard, turned off/on the xbox, and the E82 error came up. power light is also red instead of green.

it sucks but im definitely still under warranty considering i bought on black friday last year. the xbox website states that i have warranty until the middle of january 2013. time to go to the microsoft store so they can ship it out for me (i hope at no cost). if i get it before black friday next week that will be awesome.

on a side note, my xbox 360 acrade 256MB (jasper) is still going strong from many years ago, and ive used that thing way more than the slim. oh well.

larvi

My 5 year old 360 just red ringed last nite while my daughter was playing Halo. Let it cool off overnite and it powered up ok today. Is there a chance it might last a bit longer? Also searching on fixes it appears to be a fairly simple process of reseating the heatsinks with some new screws in the bracket, has anyone done this and had good luck with it?

I just checked black friday deals and not seeing anything like the $100 arcade deal I got from Amazon a couple of years back when I picked up a 2nd 360 for the spare bedroom so don't want to buy another if I can fix my old one without too much trouble. Plus have all of the licensing issues if I get new one.

larvi

Well I'm cautiously optimistic that I may have fixed my rrod. I ordered this kit and it showed up today. Took me about 2 hours to take my 360 apart, clean off and redo the thermal paste, replace the x-clamps with the parts they provided and put it all back together again. Anyone who has ever done a motherboard/cpu swap should have no problems with this. The hardest part was taking off the x-clamps.

I did have a few graphic glitches when I first booted it up but after playing for a bit they've gone away. I figured this was due to it running hotter initially until the thermal paste breaks in and spreads evenly.

JudgeN

Hate to bump this thread but I have a question my 360 is a jasper with HDMI (I think that's the model) and its showing 3 red ring but I never use the damn thing so I find this very hard to believe that it died doing nothing. Is it possible that a bad power supply can also give the 3 red ring? Last time I used it 3 weeks ago I showed the same thing but I unpluged the power supply and it started working, well now that isn't working so that's why I'm leaning towards the power supply.

Arc

Hoping I can find some help here.

Got a 2006 era 20gb. Freezes at boot every time. Sometimes I'll get to the dashboard but very rarely. I haven't really used it in a few years since I got my PS3 which is weird to me. It hasn't just been sitting there though, my sister has been using it as a dvd player.

I have no idea where to start and really don't feel like paying the repair fee. I'm open to trying anything since its out of warranty. No RROD, and I had it repaired in 2007.

Myriadis

Now my 360 also died. Was an old pro console and worked pretty well for hours, but now I got a single red light and a E74 error message. Guess there's nothing to do, tried unplugging and inserting everything, but no chance. Of course no warranty. Sucks.

Btw, are elite consoles less prone to these errors? Someone has a elite and is ready to sell it to me for a fairly low price.

Top Bottom