• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Stardust HD screens (Amiga shooter REBORN on PS3)

Wollan

That actually looks pretty cool.

Edit: You're presenting it as it's a bad thing. ;) Shooter =/= Geo Wars.

bud

wario is a thread making machine, sometimes i think that he's just a computer or something.

dalyr95

Some one rehost for truth and justice and to deprive 1up of any ad revenue till they get a working website

Spooks

I like the look of it. Seems really interseting I will be checking it out whenever it goes up on PSN.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
dalyr95 said:
Some one rehost for truth and justice and to deprive 1up of any ad revenue till they get a working website
..worked fine for me, and im on wireless extender connecting to a house 3 houses down.:lol

Rocky_Balboa said:
First Finnish PS3 game!

I read from a Finnish site that Housemarque is also developing a game for XBLA.
Sweet. I really liked The Reap on the PC a long while back. Hopefully their new game is a shooter.

looks cool but im thinking it may feel extremely weird flying within what seems to be the limits of a bizarre gravity feild

MarkM

Geometry Wars clone? You jest. I played Super Stardust on the Amiga 1200 back in 1994. It was a fun little Asteroids-esque game and looked really good at the time. Not too fond of the HUD stuff here but I imagine this will still be a very playable title.

kikonawa

blast factor is worth any money! i'm hooked to it..
btw,this game looks like a revamped version of the Amiga classic
(i think 15years old )

Munin

Needs to be said again. Super Stardust is like Geometry Wars' grandfather, nothing "clone" about it.

Munin said:
Needs to be said again. Super Stardust is like Geometry Wars' grandfather, nothing "clone" about it.
Technically, I think games like Stardust are really Blasteroids clones (obviously Atari's sequel to their original Asteroids and the follow up, Space Duel) because it was the powerups and control. I think games like Geo Wars and Mutant Storm are more like space Robotron/Smash T.V. on crack than any Asteroids game...mainly because Asteroids/Blasteroids clones have a wraparound playing fields, more inertia-based acceleration & tank controls. Robotron-like games have screen-direction based control, little inertia because of the automatic braking, screen boundaries, and dedicated 8+ way aiming that is independent of direction of movement (instant pivot control).

Andonuts

That... looks a lot like geometry wars!

Except it's on a sphere grid (ffx lol) instead of a flat one. Wow innovation!

Also can companies stop calling their DLC-ified versions of their shitty freeware abortions random game HD? Why call attention to the fact that your game's amateurish, flash cartoon-quality artwork is now rendered in 720p? As if Hexic HD gains anything from higher resolutions. Why not call it Hexic 360 or Hexic Live, if you must attach some arbitrary signifier to the name.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
superstardust on the amiga looked fantastic, but unfortunately, played like shit.

I hope that's at least fixed, and that the tunnel sections are even more triptacular

dfyb

Banned
so let me get this straight. geometry wars comes out and now all of the sudden it's okay to ignore the history of shmups?

nothing is a geometry wars clone. geometry wars is an example of an arena shmup. there were arena shmups before geometry wars and there's going to be arena shmups after geometry wars.

DCharlie

dfyb - i tried to fight that fight before - it's not worth it man. I think we are just getting old...

Andonuts said:
geometry wars is just a robotron clone!

everything is a clone of everything else!
One could make a decent argument for that being the case given how incrementally different games in several genres have been...especially in the last decade. It might not be an airtight one, but you could still make a case for it.

Man, if all of this retro stuff is going to take such a large role in downloadable console games going forward, I think we need to see Oids or Thrust or Solar/Lunar Jetman or Gravitar or something similar hit before too long...with multiplayer online.

I ****ing love Robotron, and all it's children. I still play it, and I still suck at at it. One of these days I'll make it past level 10. :D

DCharlie

I think we need to see Oids or Thrust or Solar/Lunar Jetman

oh god - Thrust though (and games of that ilk) man... they are pretty tense affairs....

especially the much later levels of thrust, navigating the deeper locations then having to get the pod out and (okay it's optional but only a pussy doesn't do it) destroying the reactor AND getting out...

*nerves jangle*

DCharlie said:
oh god - Thrust though (and games of that ilk) man... they are pretty tense affairs....

especially the much later levels of thrust, navigating the deeper locations then having to get the pod out and (okay it's optional but only a pussy doesn't do it) destroying the reactor AND getting out...

*nerves jangle*
Yeah, I ****ing love Lunar Lander-type shooters.

Well this game was more like Asteroids than Geometry Wars. I loved it on the Amiga back in the day--although it did have a bit of style over substance. I'm all for it. Let's just hope they don't make ELFMANIA HD next.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
shagg_187 said:
Goodbye.

Also, i hope this game has multiplayer without downloading the extra pack.

On second thought, is "Blast Factor" worth downloading especially for Multiplayer? I kinda avoided it for bad reviews...

Blast Factor is great.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
4h1vifp.jpg

2s7b575.jpg

2mrfdpk.jpg

2vtpjd0.jpg

PS360

Banned
Did anyone here own an Amiga? I had the 500+.

Holy shit, so many classic games. SO MANY!!!!

This looks cool too.

MarkM said:
Geometry Wars clone? You jest. I played Super Stardust on the Amiga 1200 back in 1994. It was a fun little Asteroids-esque game and looked really good at the time. Not too fond of the HUD stuff here but I imagine this will still be a very playable title.

Is that Mark McDonald?

Borys

Banned
:lol @ people saying this is a Geo Wars clone. How old are you? 12? You think Amiga is a car name?

I played Stardust back in the day on Amiga 600. It had AMAZINGLY AWESOME music.

MikeB

Banned
@ PS360

Yes, I still have an Amiga, but I am hoping to see AmigaOS4 for my PS3!

Stardust for the Amiga 500 was a good game with good raytraced graphics, the Amiga 1200 / CD32 version however was a good improvement on the original.

A1200 version:

Super_Stardust_AGA_c.jpg

i_stard1.jpg

i_stard3.jpg

Story broke here so for more info click here.

It is Not a remake, it's an original shooter and really the only link to the previous games is the genre. More information soon...

le.phat

DCharlie said:
superstardust on the amiga looked fantastic, but unfortunately, played like shit.

I hope that's at least fixed, and that the tunnel sections are even more triptacular

hehe just checked the youtube vid posted, it really looks nice for an amiga game.

can't wait to listen to those horrible house tunes in 7.1 lossless btw :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Stardust on A500 and Super Stardust on A1200 were some of the most technologically advanced games on those platforms. Those tunnel sequences were O_O !!

I guess 90% people in this thread have never played the game and is just jumping on "GeoWars copy" bandwagon, but not only were the original games made much before that PC shareware on which GeoWars is based on, but the game is a modernized concept of asteroids, it controls that way, it has tunnel sequences, and it's pretty much nothing like Geometry Wars except you shoot at things.

Borys said:
:lol @ people saying this is a Geo Wars clone. How old are you? 12? You think Amiga is a car name?

I played Stardust back in the day on Amiga 600. It had AMAZINGLY AWESOME music.
Super Stardust has 12 channel sampled intro music I think with 12bit samples. It really was amazing, pro quality sound basically.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
MikeB said:
@ PS360

Yes, I still have an Amiga, but I am hoping to see AmigaOS4 for my PS3!

Stardust for the Amiga 500 was a good game with good raytraced graphics, the Amiga 1200 / CD32 version however was a good improvement on the original.

A1200 version:

Super_Stardust_AGA_c.jpg

i_stard1.jpg

i_stard3.jpg

It seems I'm in the minority but I think that looks pretty cool... the above game (Amiga version) has much more interesting art direction, though, for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think we need to see Oids or Thrust

I loved thrust, but envied ST owners with oids - never got to play it and it was apparantly very good indeed.

As for super stardust - meh. It was one of those games that showed off its graphics and had no real gameplay to speak of. Its a poor relation of blasteroids, and I consider blasteroids a poor relation of asteroids.

If you're going to do Amiga rehashes, there are plenty more fish in that sea. Warhead (berserker!) or Stunt Car Racer would be perfect to start with.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PS360 said:
Did anyone here own an Amiga? I had the 500+.

Holy shit, so many classic games. SO MANY!!!!

This looks cool too.

hell yeah. My dad bought me a 500 when they came out in I think 1984 in the UK. £500 + VAT = £576. I love you dad. Even got the 1081 monitor which rocked. Deluxe Paint was amazing.

I then got a 500+ later with the detachable HDD, then a 1200 but was disappointed that no games really got stuck into the AGA chipset. I even bought a CD32 at launch - what a disaster!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I wonder if the planet surfaces or the cloud layers are procedurally generated in this one - would be a nice touch.

XBLA/PSN need more Amiga/ST ports.

Mmmkay

Looks like it's going to be formally unveiled mid May:

http://www.developmag.com/news/26546/New-SCEE-title-unveiled-at-Nordic-Game
A brand new Finnish downloadable PS3 game will be unveiled at Nordic Game in May.
Dubbed 'the first Nordic PlayStation Network game', the title is produced by Finnish studio Housemarque for SCEE.

Company CEO Ilari Kuittinen will reveal the currently unannounced game as part of his talk entitled 'Adaptation, Opportunities and Survival - Life of a Game Development Studio'.

Nordic Game takes place from May 15th to 16th in Malmo, Sweden. The event has already secured key sponsorship from industry partners such as PlayStation and Nvidia.

Top Bottom