• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore on 360 failure rates: "ya know, things break"

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159284

I can't comment on failure rates, because it's just not something - it's a moving target. What this consumer should worry about is the way that we've treated him. Y'know, things break, and if we've treated him well and fixed his problem, that's something that we're focused on right now. I'm not going to comment on individual failure rates because I'm shipping in 36 countries and it's a complex business.

Lock if old.

Mojovonio

Banned
oh jesus christ.

that's such a lame attitude to have.

What this consumer should worry about is the way that we've treated him. Y'know, things break, and if we've treated him well and fixed his problem

You mean like spending 500 on a product only to have it break a week after the warranty expires and me having to open a file with the BBB just to get MS to compromise with me?

So the 360 fails frequently because it's shipping in multiple countries? Is that like how water circles down the drain in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere?

Jim

LOL @ the Google ad for this page:

imgad

Mojovonio

Banned
I just hate how MS is going about their revision and repair process.

Honestly, if you know 5 people with 360s, at least two of them broke. That's not 3%.

And what else bothers me is that instead of realizing they ****ed up with HDMI and including it in all new 360s, no, you have to buy the Elite.

Tieno

badcrumble said:
So the 360 fails frequently because it's shipping in multiple countries? Is that like how water circles down the drain in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere?
I understand that as that he can't give specific numbers on failure rates because they're shipping to 36 countries and that's a complex business. Somewhat misleading threadtitle.
Still a little too 'convenientt' for my taste.

JB1981

I guess Peter wasn't there when Arne's co-worker shouted out what the failure rate was at the office. Surely he would've used such a source to put consumers' minds at rest.

mabuza said:
yeah lets ignore the real problem here and attack the poster. well done

Ignore the real problem? Failure rates? For 360? Ignored? On GAF?

But that was a bit mean, I'll change it to "about failure rates". The gif is still accurate.

MutFox said:
Good post. A+.

:/

Anyways, that is completely the wrong attitude to have. Usually, I think Moore acts most appropriately compared to the other companies' top guns, but this just pisses me off.

LJ11

JB1981 said:
I guess Peter wasn't there when Arne's co-worker shouted out what the failure rate was at the office. Surely he would've used such a source to put consumers' minds at rest.

:lol

You win.

JB1981 said:
:O

What did arne say the failure rate was?

C4Lukins

badcrumble said:

He is saying that he cannot comment on it because it is a complex business and they are shipping in 36 countries.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Mefisutoferesu said:
:O

What did arne say the failure rate was?

Will arne find his way to this thread? Inquiring minds want to know....

yukoner

What this consumer should worry about is the way that we've treated him.

Bullshit. What the consumer should worry about is how long their $400 system is going to last after the 1year warrantee expires.

Nice cop-out answer too Peter, shipping in 36 countries somehow makes it impossible for you to provide an average failure rate? Isn't that what averages are for?

Real answer: I'm not gonna comment on the failure rate because it's ****in atrocious.

Yea, they're really taking care of us. At some point, nearly all of us are going to have to dish out $170 to repair our 360s when they die out of warranty........or we'll have to get towels.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The failure rate for X360 in my household is 50%. My current X360 sounds like it has a BB rattling around in it when the disc is being accessed. Sheesh!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
*ad hominem attack...*
*posted by by BenjaminBirdie in a negative 360 thread?...*
danny.jpg

I've brought enough for myself.

Odysseus

Banned
to arne's defense, he was on a conference call and some dude yelled out the number of broken/refurbed 360s in exasperation for some reason, and arne did the math and came up with something in the aforementioned acceptable range.

frankly, i don't buy it, but i'm not hanging that one on arne. he's already on the hook for so many other things.

Chiggs

"What consumers should be worried about is if we've treated them well?" Does that mean sending them grease-stained refurb models in exchange for their brand new broken retail units?

I'll never own another 360 unless someone buys one for me. They can rot.

Gek54

I guess I am the only one who had good experience with getting my console replaced. I bought the extra 2 year coverage and then found out it was effectively moved to 3 years after the new basic coverage change. Spoke to a very pleasant American accented CR for about 5 minutes and was able to get a box, ship it off and have it returned all with in 10 days.

Mojovonio

Banned
Arne has to tow the line on this one, so don't expect anything new from him.

There was a magazine article a while back that had the failure rate at, I think it was 40%.

Speevy

Banned
My console was replaced in a very timely manner. It took a little time to get those MS Points back, though.

YYZ

3-5%

so the PS3 must be less than 1% from seeing zero to one stories about failures every week/month.

He was not being sarcastic when he said "things break" to whoever here was hoping he was.

Tieno

Gek54 said:
I guess I am the only one who had good experience with getting my console replaced. I bought the extra 2 year coverage and then found out it was effectively moved to 3 years after the new basic coverage change. Spoke to a very pleasant American accented CR for about 5 minutes and was able to get a box, ship it off and have it returned in 10 days.
With me the entire process took only 3-4 days. So there's some good and to MS' credit the fast process made me forget(forgive...) it more easily.

NekoFever

They treated me great. In fact they were kind enough to charge £83 ($165) for the repairs which I was totally responsible for. I mean if I hadn't played the thing it'd be fine.

Top Bottom