• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekkon Kinkreet: Wow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dali

... this movie is awesome. One of the best I've seen in a while. I went into it with only the knowledge that it had interesting character designs and the animation would be excellent. I had no prior knowledge of the plot or even what genre of movie it was. Needless to say everything about this movie is top-notch, and I was pleasantly surprised by the story.

No real spoilers below, but if you want to be a blank slate for the movie - as I was - then read no further.

The characters are all very well-done and believable, with the exception of the one-dimensional Hebi (Snake). The Yakuza guys and the cops all play their part well, even though they are just fluff for the main attraction: Kuro and Shiro. Overall the best part, hands-down, is the relationship between these two. It's an obvious, totally unveiled yin/yang dynamic (Kuro and Shiro mean black and white respectively) they've got going on, but it's done so well you really don't care that it could be considered cliche.

Top it off with some good, ol', violence and you've got yourself one masterful movie that I'd recommend to anyone [with a soul]. The only issue I had with the movie was it gets boring and drags in places and as a result it is really long (~1hr40minutes). At one point, it also put the fear of one of those wtf, Japanese, semi-philosophical, endings that have ruined many an anime in me, but such was not the case and everything makes sense and ties up nicely in the end.

tekkonconcrete-2.jpg

tekkon.jpg

tekkon34.jpg

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWOCf1wNlk0

Amir0x

Banned
yea i saw this, wasn't enthusiastic about the movie content at all but the backgrounds at FUCKING GORGEOUS.

I purchased it for that alone.

Amir0x

Banned
ms-07 said:
Good. now watch Mind Game

mindgame1.gif

trailer

is this one of those absurd wackyjappy movies that never ends up making sense but reportedly has some deep psychoanalytic undercurrent but is basically just a way for 1st year philosophy majors to wank each other off?

or is it legitimately good, and you've seen it?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Watching it on Bluray is amazing. Pause it anywhere and you've got what basically amounts to a work of art on your screen :)

ms-07

Banned
Amir0x said:
is this one of those absurd wackyjappy movies that never ends up making sense but reportedly has some deep psychoanalytic undercurrent but is basically just a way for 1st year philosophy majors to wank each other off?

or is it legitimately good, and you've seen it?

it's exactly like you say. it's really experimental and and in the end you still don't know what the fuck is going on, but you're still blown away by the epicness. also one of the best depictions of god ever. Only my two cents though, some people hate the 2nd half of the movie which slows down and becomes a little stranger. But the climax makes it all worthwhile.

it's not available in america yet so you'll have to torrent it.

God scene - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E26FGlf4eXI
Love making - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lIKCBCLo4U
Car chase - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnnc0qhzPM

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I really enjoyed Tekkon Kinkreet... now my friends and I walk around and say stuff like....

SHIROOOOOOO

KUROOOO

SHIROOOOOO

KUROOOO

etc...

Weird, I know.

MarkMan said:
I really enjoyed Tekkon Kinkreet... now my friends and I walk around and say stuff like....

SHIROOOOOOO

KUROOOO

SHIROOOOOO

KUROOOO

etc...

Weird, I know.

Nothing beats "CCCAAAAAAAHHHHH NNNNNAAAAAAAAAA DDDDDDAAAAAAAHHHHH" in my book :p

XMonkey said:
Watching it on Bluray is amazing. Pause it anywhere and you've got what basically amounts to a work of art on your screen :)

I was going to ask about this... whether it is worth a purchase on Blu-ray. I haven't seen ANY anime I've enjoyed for a long long time. Either I'm out of it, or most anime is shit.

Dali

nitewulf said:
backgrounds look awesome and all that...but the character art is fucking hideous.

The character designs are awesome. They add to the grittiness of the movie. If you are looking for generic character designs, this movie isn't for you.

Dali

nitewulf said:
why would anyone be looking for generic character designs. whats that about.

I would assume they aren't bright enough to know what they are looking for is generic.

tokkun

Gorgeous art and good soundtrack, but the movie was not very good overall. They tried to take on too much story within the scope of one movie, and as a result none of the characters were really developed in depth or motivation much. They also switched between plot lines way too much in the beginning of the movie, preventing any of the story from gaining momentum. They probably should have cut the yakuza side-story, in my opinion.

Mind Game, on the other hand, is awesome.

I have to see the movie, but I've been a huge fan of the comic ever since viz released it as Black & White. And from what you describe, it didn't have the Akira-esque dialogue. It was Black being seperated from White, and white acknowledging that the two of them create a whole.

Brilliant freakin' story.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
I liked it. It helps if you are high. The only thing that irked me was the whole
kuro having the split personality with the minotaur
. Other than that it was fucking solid, but not as good as mindgame, but that's an unfair comparison because mindgame is better than 99% of everything ever.

Bebpo

Banned
I think the movie is good. I'd agree with the poster saying the character art is kinda weak, I think most of 4C's character art is ugly with the exception being Tweeny Witches. But the backgrounds are gorgeous, and the film itself is a mostly faithful (90-95%) adaptation of a GREAT manga.

If you can, you should check out the manga now that you've seen the movie. I read the manga after the movie and it clears up some stuff that wasn't explained in the movie and gives more character development. Some of the changes in the film seem dumb, but there weren't that many changes, so I can enjoy both.

I don't like Mind Game though, I think it's pretentious as hell and ugly and boring as well. OTOH I liked most of Kemonozume, and I've liked pretty much everything else by 4C, so it's just MG that didn't jive with me.

This looks awesome. The background art is really nice. The character designs may not be pretty but they have tons of charm and style. I'll take this style over gundam seed,suzumiya or clannad's style anyday.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This movie has me very intrigued, and I generally avoid anime like plague, except for a very, very few select movies. It looks so damn good, I'm thinking of buying it on Bluray even if I end up not liking the movie.

Amir0x said:
yea i saw this, wasn't enthusiastic about the movie content at all but the backgrounds at FUCKING GORGEOUS.

I purchased it for that alone.

Ya. Looking at the backgrounds alone, they look great. I'm not digging the character art though...not at all.

I loved the manga and picked up the Blu-ray but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I hope it's as good as some of you make it out to be.

Well, I did watch the first 5 minutes or so and it looked good to me. They did a good job of capturing the look of the manga.

I actually purchased the art book before I watched the movie. I am in love with the backgrounds. Completely stunning.

I did buy the BR disc but I have not sat down with it yet. I did see it when it was up in LA for their very small release.

7Th

Manga was much better but I loved the animation... I suppose you can always count on 4°C for creating visual wonders.

I just caught the movie....can someone explain the ending to me?

man i felt really bad for the Yakuza guy at the end.. he had a baby coming too :(

Meier

I tried to get through it but it did nothing for me. The animation is stunning but the character art is so awful, I just can't do it. I think these guys did a segment in the new Batman animated thing that was to bridge the gap between BB and TDK. I couldn't get through any of those segments either (terrible 'movie).

This wasn't bad per se, but I just didn't care for it. Truly a visual splendor on Blu-Ray though.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Backgrounds are amazing. Loved the character design and enjoyed the story.

But why won't Japanese animation studios animate characters on 2's?? All this action and everyone jerks around on 3's or even 4's most of the time. The poses and movement are good but damn it hurts my eyes. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom