• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vista issue - Error 999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

I have a new HP Laptop (2 months old) that seems to have a rather large problem. The error message LoadKey failed with error 999 (STHIVE =/= 0 pops up whenever I try to boot it up. It has been running a Startup Repair program for a few hours, but it seems to just be coming up with the same error over and over again. Any idea what's going on here?

EGM92

Gigglepoo said:
It's not a PlayStation.

I found this thread by typing in the error on Google. Could this be correct? Do I have a dead hard drive after only 2 months? That's some weak shit if true.

To test your HDD go into your Bios when booting, all HP laptops within the last 2 years have had a HDD test built in. Do that, if your HDD is failing you'll get an error code before the test is done. You can go online and see what the code means. Call HP and GOODLUCK With their customer support you're going to needs it.

Phoenix

Mine keeps coming back as non-genuine despite sitting with Microsoft on the phone for 3 hours over 2 days. I should have just bootlegged it like everyone else that has a fake genuine version.

Gigglepoo

EGM92 said:
To test your HDD go into your Bios when booting, all HP laptops within the last 2 years have had a HDD test built in. Do that, if your HDD is failing you'll get an error code before the test is done. You can go online and see what the code means. Call HP and GOODLUCK With their customer support you're going to needs it.

I might try that later, my girlfriend is on the phone with Circuit City now. We bought their warranty plan, but I have a feeling they will attempt to screw us.

Thanks for the tip, though. I can usually fix software issues, but hardware stuff eludes me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom