• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Damn shit. How do you get continues in Sonic 2?

bjork

Damn. It's been years since I played it, and I couldn't remember. Oh well. I didn't have all the gems, either. Total chumpdom.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Continues are awarded through points. I'll have to check if it's at any time or just through Time/Ring bonuses, though, but you should always start the game getting a continue with 10,000 points in the first level.

bjork

That would explain it, then. Every time I'd have like 3 rings and be all slow. It's easy to backtrack accidentally on some of the levels.

Or jump around in oil in the oil level...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ah, now I remember, it's whenever you get 10,000 points from bonus points, be it at the end of an Act or after doing an Emerald Bonus Stage. Extra lives are also awarded every 50,000 points whenever.

Finish a stage in under 30 seconds, and you'll get both. Emerald Hill Act 1 can be done in 20, so the extra life and continue always helps.

20sec_zpsd9c7a3b8.jpeg

bjork

Red Scarlet said:
Oh c'mon bjork, I thought you were better at games than that.

I know, right? I was shocked too.

But then, Sonic is less fun to pick apart than SotN, so...

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
It was points-based? Huh. I thought the jingle and little Sonic icon that would appear whenever I cleared a level with 50+ rings indicated a continue...

Obviously, I need to play Sonic 2 again.

Walshicus

bjork said:
I know, right? I was shocked too.

But then, Sonic is less fun to pick apart than SotN, so...
The fact that you didn't die fighting Mecha Sonic or Mecha Robotnik is the worst insult of all.

bjork

Sir Fragula said:
The fact that you didn't die fighting Mecha Sonic or Mecha Robotnik is the worst insult of all.

I used to know this game inside and out, is the worst part to me. I don't usually forget something so basic.

But that's okay. When I get home later tonight, I'll give it another shot.

Enk

makes good threads.
I felt a strong presence of poor gaming and was suddenly drawn into this thread to shake my head at you.

bjork

I went to bed awhile ago and felt like I was forgetting something. Then I remembered: this.

It is now done. robotnik is defeated until next time. :)

USD

bjork said:
I went to bed awhile ago and felt like I was forgetting something. Then I remembered: this.

It is now done. robotnik is defeated until next time. :)
But did you get all the emeralds? That's the real question.

bjork

USD said:
But did you get all the emeralds? That's the real question.

I didn't even try this time.

But I *did* go back and do that ending with the debug, just to save myself some time.

Walshicus

Do you know what I'd pay good money for? A Sonic compilation game that welded Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles level progression together; used the Sonic 3 graphic style and mechanics and added the option to play through as many more characters - like Chaotix cast or what have you.

The Knuckles and Mighty the Armadillo mods for Sonic 1 show this can be fun.

bjork

I would pay good money for Blue Sphere on my phone. I forgot how much I liked that game, until I was messing with S+K the other night.

if you are playing the game from the cart ( so you got the ability to enter the option screen ) you can play sound test numbers 19, 65, 9, 17, 1, 1, 2, 4 and get 14 continues :lol

Top Bottom