• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Loop - Nippon Ichi's PSP adventure game

duckroll

I'm not a fan of N1 at all, so I've pretty much been ignoring everything they put out lately. But I was bored today, so while checking out the Japanese Playstation Store, I saw some PSP demos for various games. I grabbed the Infinite Loop one, which was a whooping 119 meg, simply because I was wondering what kind of ADV N1 would make. I finally got a chance to play the demo, and this has to be a pretty huge demo. It feels like the entire game, since I'm not sure what limitations the demo has. I've played it for over 40 mins, and there's no sign of it ending.

Here's a basic rundown on what the game is like:

- It's a 2D first person graphical novel adventure like most Japanese ADVs, if you're not interested in reading/listening to dialogue for most of the game, stop reading now.

- For the 6 of you still with me, here's when it gets interesting. You play as the prince of a kingdom, but on the day before your wedding, a shinigami peaks through your door and kills you.

- What happens after this is that you're a ghost that is attached to the back of the first person that found your body, the maid Aisha. From here on everything you see is from her perspective as she goes around talking to people. Until....

- After a few days of shock, your fiancee eventually kills herself because she can no longer live on without you. This shocks your spirit into reversing time, and you resume from the moment Aisha finds your body.

- This time round when Aisha visits the medium, you realize that it is not all as it seems. You gain the ability to move from one person to another while other characters are in the same area involved in a conversation. This means you can now attach yourself to other characters if they talk to Aisha, and you can then follow them around to see what they're up to and then transfer yourself to other people they talk to!

- The next mechanic introduced is that of dreams. When you are attached to a person, when the person goes to sleep at night, you can influence his or her dreams with whatever keywords you have picked up so far. Keywords can be anything from characters, objects, events or places. If there is no connection between the keyword and the person, there is no dream, but if there is, you can influence the person to do things the next day that they would not otherwise have thought of doing.

- Armed with these mechanics, you can then proceed to influence events that prevent your fiancee from killing herself. Once you succeed in that, time will continue forward from that point, meaning you have conquered a fatal event. There are many other fatal events throughout the game's timeline, and as you experience them and get thrown back in the infinite loop, you are forced to discover more and more about the going ons of your castle and you also begin to unravel the mystery of the shinigami and your own death.

- The game provide a Time Table display as well, where you can see which persons you have followed on what days and who they interact with at which points throughout the game's timeline. The entire timeline shows 28 days, but I've only made it through like 10. Basically, as you loop through time, the events themselves will remain the same but you get a chance to swap around to follow different characters and unlock more and more of what's going on during each of the days.

- One element which gets introduced last is the Shinigami. Apparently it also attaches itself to other people, and if the character you are attached to happens to meet a character with the Shinigami attached at the moment, you start losing 1 HP per text box turn. This HP carries over, throughout, and if you get to 0 HP, you die and get looped again.

It's really refreshing and interesting to be playing a ADV with such unique new gameplay systems. It reminds me a lot of Yu-No, which I really, really liked. I'll probably eventually pick this up later on, when there isn't so much to play. The demo was an eye opener and I encourage any other ADV fan to grab it from the JPN PSN Store. :D

Official Site: http://nippon1.jp/consumer/infiniteloop/

matmanx1

I'm guessing this would be a good title to practice reading Japanese on, no? I'm not far enough along to be able to do it without alot of translation help but I can still see it as a useful and interesting exercise. Thanks for the heads-up, Duckroll.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
so lemme get this right:
1- you attach yourself to a person and experience the world from his view
2- you affect other people's dreams by using certain keywords.
3- if you attach yourself to a person who already has a shinigami attached to him, you start losing HP until you die, and then the loop starts again.

all to prevent fatal events such as your fiancee committing suicide?

duckroll

Jinfash said:
so lemme get this right:
1- you attach yourself to a person and experience the world from his view
2- you affect other people's dreams by using certain keywords.
3- if you attach yourself to a person who already has a shinigami attached to him, you start losing HP until you die, and then the loop starts again.

all to prevent fatal events such as your fiancee committing suicide?

No, you lose HP if you're attached to someone who is facing another character who has the Shinigami attached. When the Shinigami is in a scene, you can't swap to any other character, and you just keep losing HP until the conversation is over.

I'm sure the ultimate objective of the game is to uncover who's trying to kill you and where the Shinigami came from in the first place.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
duckroll said:
No, you lose HP if you're attached to someone who is facing another character who has the Shinigami attached. When the Shinigami is in a scene, you can't swap to any other character, and you just keep losing HP until the conversation is over.

I'm sure the ultimate objective of the game is to uncover who's trying to kill you and where the Shinigami came from in the first place.
holy shit, both corrections made the game even more interesting.
too bad i'll never see a stateside release :( (please god lemme be wrong)

Srider

Banned
N1 has alot of ADV games actually. I may be wrong, but I believe N1 was a company based upon ADV games before the success and fame from Disgaea.

duckroll

Srider said:
N1 has alot of ADV games actually. I may be wrong, but I believe N1 was a company based upon ADV games before the success and fame from Disgaea.

Yeah, they're not new to ADVs. I just haven't been interested in anything they've done for quite a while now. This demo totally rocks though. :eek:

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
My two yen –

Infinite Loop is EXCELLENT. In fact, I think it's probably the best adventure game/digital comic since Policenauts. I'd love to see an American third party tackle a localization.

duckroll

Aokage said:
My two yen –

Infinite Loop is EXCELLENT. In fact, I think it's probably the best adventure game/digital comic since Policenauts. I'd love to see an American third party tackle a localization.

It really surprised me. I'm not a huge fan of the ADVs that are really, really popular in Japan right now like. The Key stuff really does nothing for me. The ADVs I really dig are the ones by Hiroyuki Kanno (EVE Burst Error, Yu-No, Exodus Guilty, etc). The guy's still around at Abel, but his recent games don't really have the same flair that they used to imo. Exodus Guilty was personally my favorite of his scenarios, and Yu-No clearly wins hands down for the gameplay system. Infinite Loop gives me the same feeling I used to have playing those ADVs, which I totally didn't expect.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
love the trailer, very intriguing... one question though, can someone translate this cap? (and who're those people supposed to be?)

a1ssgl.png

Aokage said:
My two yen –

:O
:O

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so basically a Phoenix Wright style adventure game with a cool premise? NA release PLEEEEASSSSEEEEEE!!!!!!

Aokage

duckroll said:
It really surprised me. I'm not a huge fan of the ADVs that are really, really popular in Japan right now like. The Key stuff really does nothing for me. The ADVs I really dig are the ones by Hiroyuki Kanno (EVE Burst Error, Yu-No, Exodus Guilty, etc). The guy's still around at Abel, but his recent games don't really have the same flair that they used to imo. Exodus Guilty was personally my favorite of his scenarios, and Yu-No clearly wins hands down for the gameplay system. Infinite Loop gives me the same feeling I used to have playing those ADVs, which I totally didn't expect.

No kidding. I abhor the vast majority of recent novel games. Gotta admit I liked Fate though. My problem is that the Japanese seem to have forgotten that a good ADV needs GAMEPLAY, not just a single choice every 15 minutes.

Jme

borghe said:
so basically a Phoenix Wright style adventure game with a cool premise? NA release PLEEEEASSSSEEEEEE!!!!!!

Stole the words right out of my mouth...

zoku88

Zoe said:
The US needs games like this :(
They wouldn't sell.

I tried to get a friend to play part of the first case of Apollo Justice. He got a couple of minutes in and gave up saying: "this is boring. I want to shoot things" >_<

Aokage

Srider said:
How about Machi? but I guess that's a bit dated.

Machi is a masterpiece, yeah. It's nice Chun ported it to the PSP.

Imabikisou was okay... and I use the term loosely. I'm semi looking forward to 428, but I wish they'd release it on PS3 too. Imabikisou's scenario was eh, but it was absolutely gorgeous looking in HD.

Edit:

duckroll said:
Never played it. What's it like? I see there's a PSP remake that came out in 2006...

PLAY ITTTTTT

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
zoku88 said:
They wouldn't sell.

I tried to get a friend to play part of the first case of Apollo Justice. He got a couple of minutes in and gave up saying: "this is boring. I want to shoot things" >_<
:lol :lol :lol DAMN YOU CLIFFY.B!!

EDIT: how uncool of you to ignore my translation request GAF :(

Teasel

it must be because of the time loop storyline but there is something about the game that kinda reminds me of grim grimoire...

duckroll

I didn't like the Imabikisou demo on PSN at all. The implementation was neat, but I'm not really a fan of horror stories. The game was way too close to a J-Horror movie for my liking, especially with the 5.1 sound. :/

Jinfash said:
EDIT: how uncool of you to ignore my translation request GAF :(

It's just the name of the characters and their respective voice actors. Nothing really to translate there. :(

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
duckroll said:
It's just the name of the characters and their respective voice actors. Nothing really to translate there. :(
but having the four of them side by side in one slide, made them feel like important game characters... anything significant about them?

Teasel said:
it must be because of the time loop storyline but there is something about the game that kinda reminds me of grim grimoire...
THANK YOU! uhh i felt like i know a game that had a looping system, but couldn't remember it.

Srider

Banned
duckroll said:
Never played it. What's it like? I see there's a PSP remake that came out in 2006...

Machi is probably considered to be the best sound novel game of all time by Japanese gamers.

It's pretty straightforward, just straight up text adventure about bunch of people who don't know each other and how their lives cross. You open up more characters' story as you play. I guess the best comparison would be that movie called magnolia.

I'm not super hardcore into this game like some of the Japanese people I know, but they will recommend you to play the PSX original instead of the PSP remake.

You might also try Kamaitachi no Yoru for the SNES, or any of the sequels or ports. (Again, hardcore J-gamers will recommend you to play the original, due to changes in some text and sounds.)

All of these are by Chun Soft, I guess I should add.

Zoe

Jinfash said:
but having the four of them side by side in one slide, made them feel like important game characters... anything significant about them?

More like they're LESS significant because they didn't get their own screens.

Aokage

Srider said:
I'm not super hardcore into this game like some of the Japanese people I know, but they will recommend you to play the PSX original instead of the PSP remake.

Just want to point out that the original Machi was actually on Saturn, but the PSone version is probably still the best (even though a few things were censored).

The PSP version adds a couple fairly useless scenarios and hinted at a sequel at the end.

RpgN

Yeah, I'm playing this demo as well. I'm not too far though. I first DLed the small version (it was like 12 mb). that version got me really excited. It was like a movie and ended so quickly. Then I DLed the second version which is much bigger. The voice acting is done really well. That Aisha maid sounds like a really nice girl. It would be crazy if she was the killer :lol All of the characters acted sad and suprised, except for the old lady....Hmmmm...

So is the full version already released? I might pick it up.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Wow, that actually sounds interesting, sounds almost like groundhog day, only it's a month, you're dead, and can affect the living!

Shame it will never, ever, see a an EU release, I would snap it up very quickly.

Looks very awesome. I'm actually hoping that since PW did well here (I'm assuming, since they released subsequent games) that some company might be willing to take chances with games like these.

icecream

Public Health Threat
RpgN said:
So is the full version already released? I might pick it up.
It's been out for a while.

I remembered the summary seemed interesting, so it's good to hear the actual game seems pretty good too.

Enron

Banned
icecream said:
It's been out for a while.

I remembered the summary seemed interesting, so it's good to hear the actual game seems pretty good too.

Lies. You only started to care after you saw the screenshots posted above.

Top Bottom