• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 jeans on, does that mean we dream wrong? - Official Denimhead Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickD

Well I wasn't sure what they were going to look like, didn't want to ruin my expensive denim :p

Thanks for your help Eric!

Alucrid

Banned
Not wanting to Shrink or fade. But I mean, whatever is best for em is what I'll do. The info packet said soak in woollite in the tub, should I do this or something else?

Not much color will wear off if you just soak them. As for APCs they're sanforized so pretty shrinkage will be minimal.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Got taken out by a salesman to a Jeans bar. Asked for Raw Denim and got a pair of "Crate" brand jeans. Never heard of the brand, and it ran pretty small, but the stuff looked good. Anyone know anything about Crate jeans?

Crates are nice. Haven't found any faults with them. I've only seen one store in SF that has them. Looked and felt nice, but didn't have the cut I wanted.

Alright Denimheads. I realize that these brands of jeans are probably crap by your terms but I was wondering what peoples experiences are with jeans from Express vs brands like BKE and Big Star.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Alright Denimheads. I realize that these brands of jeans are probably crap by your terms but I was wondering what peoples experiences are with jeans from Express vs brands like BKE and Big Star.

They all suck. Tell us your budget and we can recommend some good brands.

They all suck. Tell us your budget and we can recommend some good brands.

Haha, like I said I am aware they are below your standards. I would top out at around $100 bucks for a pair of jeans and I definitely wouldn't buy a pair I wasn't able to try on first which limits my options.

Ermac

Try Unbranded at Urban Outfitters

Gap also makes a Selvedge pair which is great, mine have held up for almost two years now.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Haha, like I said I am aware they are below your standards. I would top out at around $100 bucks for a pair of jeans and I definitely wouldn't buy a pair I wasn't able to try on first which limits my options.

You can get Naked and Famous around that price on Karmaloop plus coupon codes you can easily find on google.

So I tried on a pair of Naked & Famous Weird Guys today. Size 34 was extremely tight around the crotch-ass region, and I just barely got it buttoned up. Size 36 was comfortable around the crotch-ass region, and but there was a little slack around the waist. I'm thinking the 34 is probably the right size for me.. but I don't wanna end up with a pair of jeans that are way too tight. Does anybody who already owns the jeans know if they stretch enough that buttons that barely fasten will eventually fasten normally?

IceCold

So I tried on a pair of Naked & Famous Weird Guys today. Size 34 was extremely tight around the crotch-ass region, and I just barely got it buttoned up. Size 36 was comfortable around the crotch-ass region, and but there was a little slack around the waist. I'm thinking the 34 is probably the right size for me.. but I don't wanna end up with a pair of jeans that are way too tight. Does anybody who already owns the jeans know if they stretch enough that buttons that barely fasten will eventually fasten normally?

They will stretch around 1/2 inch to an inch around the waist. I bought the same jeans and that was my experience with them.

Ermac

Yeah, definitely go with the 34's. I own 3 pairs of the Naked & Famous Weird Guys and they always start extra tight in the waist but eventually stretch out to a very comfortable size.

Fantastic jeans too, highly recommended.

What is the overall opinion of American Eagle jeans?

I have a $100 budget for jeans, need to try them in the store (this is quote difficult for my size, 30X34).

TheExodu5

Banned
So, how do you guys make sure jeans will fit when you buy them over the internet? I don't think there's anywhere local for me to buy raw denim (at least, no where that I know of), so I may have to resort to the internet. All I wear is jeans, so I figure I should invest in a good pair or two. What are some good jeans to buy (sub $200)? Looking for a medium-slim fit. Not baggy, but not skinny either. I guess that would just be straight? Also, what's a good place to buy from? (I'm in Canada, if anyone from here has some specific advice)

Arcteryx

So, how do you guys make sure jeans will fit when you buy them over the internet? I don't think there's anywhere local for me to buy raw denim (at least, no where that I know of), so I may have to resort to the internet. All I wear is jeans, so I figure I should invest in a good pair or two. What are some good jeans to buy (sub $200)? Looking for a medium-slim fit. Not baggy, but not skinny either. I guess that would just be straight? Also, what's a good place to buy from? (I'm in Canada, if anyone from here has some specific advice)

I usually just do a ton of research first/make sure I buy from a place that allows exchanges (if possible, or just bite the bullet an take a loss to re-sale).

I've had good luck on SuFu/other websites with getting info on sizing. Never had any issues with jeans I've bought that way (APC, Nudie, Samurai, Skull)

What is the overall opinion of American Eagle jeans?

I have a $100 budget for jeans, need to try them in the store (this is quote difficult for my size, 30X34).

From what I've seen on people, they're pretty crappy. For $100, you can probably get a pair of APC's on sale, or even the uniqlo raw jeans which are decent for the price.

KodoLion

Neo Member
Does anyone know of where I can obtain some flared jeans? Almost bell bottom like, but not as absurd. Express used to sell these, but no more. I'm slim, 6ft3 and normal jeans don't look good on me.

Alucrid

Banned
Buy from places that list measurements, take measurements of well fitting jean you own, tada

Does anyone know of where I can obtain some flared jeans? Almost bell bottom like, but not as absurd. Express used to sell these, but no more. I'm slim, 6ft3 and normal jeans don't look good on me.

If you're slim and tall, then slim jeans should look fine on you as long as they're not too narrow in the ankle. Maybe you're looking for bootcut jeans?

Got myself these last month to replace my PBJ 11's: http://www.tateandyoko.com/1-jeans/126-flat-head-x-naked-famous-x-tate-yoko-collaboration-jean.html
The weird guy fit was damn tight after the initial soak. I had to get help to button the top 2 buttons. Luckily, they stretched back out a bit after a few hours. They feel great now.

The gf just ordered these ladies PBJ's: http://blueingreensoho.com/site/ind...facturer_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62

I'm interested in seeing how they look once they come in.

subrock

gat damn! I'm having a hell of a time finding size 38 naked and famous. if any of you have hook ups with shops and know if they have stock of the 15oz deep indigo weird guys I will buy a pair. deep indigo, not regular indigo.

Antagon

Any Dutchies having some tips for good stores? After going through a pair of Replay Jeans in about half a year (an entire seam is unraveling, plus the fabric has gotten extremely thin around the place where I normally got my phone in my pocket) I'm looking to pick up some higher quality denim. Where I live there doesn't seem to be any decent denim stores though.

Thinking about going to The Hague soon to take a look at concrete where they got Levi's red, Levi's vintage and Sugar Cane.

Would 3Sixteen be a good brand for a first pair of raw denim.
sure, but something like naked and famous would probably be easier to source. more variety, too.

by the way, I feel like i'm the only person (aside from a couple of dudes on superfuture iirc) who don't size down on their jeans. I just get what fits in the store (n&f, apc, 3sixteen). Never had any problems with stretching. Then again I top out at about 2 months of wear.

Alucrid

Banned
sure, but something like naked and famous would probably be easier to source. more variety, too.

by the way, I feel like i'm the only person (aside from a couple of dudes on superfuture iirc) who don't size down on their jeans. I just get what fits in the store (n&f, apc, 3sixteen). Never had any problems with stretching. Then again I top out at about 2 months of wear.

Well APC is vanity, so that's why they say 'size down 2' since a tagged 27 would have a 29 waist and if they bought a tagged 29 waist they'd end up with 31 inches.

Well APC is vanity, so that's why they say 'size down 2' since a tagged 27 would have a 29 waist and if they bought a tagged 29 waist they'd end up with 31 inches.
Well I know that, but I don't think that's entirely the case; since a lot of people buy them balls tight (ie, can only close the first few buttons) and stretch them out to fit over the course of a few weeks or so. one dude I read on some forum a month ago busted his top button off a pair of day-old n&f doing this. I don't get it.

i'mtooldforthisshit.jpg lol

Alucrid

Banned
Well I know that, but I don't think that's entirely the case; since a lot of people buy them balls tight (ie, can only close the first few buttons) and stretch them out to fit over the course of a few weeks or so. one dude I read on some forum a month ago busted his top button off a pair of day-old n&f doing this. I don't get it.

i'mtooldforthisshit.jpg lol

Oh, okay. Lol, yeah, that's ridiculous. I've never struggled getting buttons buttoned. Well, except when it wasn't the waist size that was too small, but the button holes.

Yeah, I should have been more clear in what I meant, i was talking about retail buying.. It's especially annoying when SA's mindlessly tell you to size down from what fits 'because it will stretch', as in all likelihood someone new to this stuff is not going to want to stretch them back out over the course of a month to just to fit into them again after that initial wash. there seems to be a lot of needless anxiety over denim sometimes *shrug*

oh and fwiw, I actually have jeans again :p. N&F weird guy grey and black. donated the cheesy leather patches to the garbage bin hah.

Yeah, I should have been more clear in what I meant, i was talking about retail buying.. It's especially annoying when SA's mindlessly tell you to size down from what fits 'because it will stretch', as in all likelihood someone new to this stuff is not going to want to stretch them back out over the course of a month to just to fit into them again after that initial wash. there seems to be a lot of needless anxiety over denim sometimes *shrug*

oh and fwiw, I actually have jeans again :p. N&F weird guy grey and black. donated the cheesy leather patches to the garbage bin hah.

Oh yeah those leather patches would have to come of as soon as possible.

Alucrid

Banned

Ehh, yeah, I tend to avoid SA's fashion stuff when I'm on there...but that's the only thing I'd go there for...so it's just when gaf happens to be down. :lol They really love their N&F jeans though. When I last checked the denim thread every post was about N&F.

macuser doesn't like boobs.

i meant sales associate, but that works too.

I joined Something Awful when gaf was down a month ago out of boredom

but having looked, in person, at what n&f was offering vs say apc and nudie, I liked it. reminded me of OG Helmut Lang. Simple stuff (minus the titty patch :p) in a nice cut. Some novelty options for those looking outside standard blue and black.

I used to wear Acne Max a lot but since the office cafeteria installed chairs with round-mesh metal-grate bottoms I can't wear them there anymore. The rear pocket studs mean I get stuck to my chair. :/

TylerD

I am going to be washing my Eternals for the first time since I got them last April next week. Is it sad that I am really excited? Nah!

They have really held up well so far.

Yoshiya

After needing a new pair of black jeans for a while I just jumped on a good sale price on Nudie slim jim dry black coated (that's a mouthful). I'm unsure how shiny I really want them, but I'm curious to see how it goes. For the price I got them for I'd have been looking at some pretty mediocre brands otherwise.

Alucrid

Banned
After needing a new pair of black jeans for a while I just jumped on a good sale price on Nudie slim jim dry black coated (that's a mouthful). I'm unsure how shiny I really want them, but I'm curious to see how it goes. For the price I got them for I'd have been looking at some pretty mediocre brands otherwise.

I'm sure a wash or soak would make them a bit less shiny.

Ermac

Could you post pics when you get them? I'm thinking of getting the same pair.Where did you buy them from?

Antagon

So, first soak of my LVC. They fit pretty well pre shrinking, a bit on the wide side, but not much. Should I use hot or just lukewarm water? And is a cup of vinegar enough to prevent too much Indigo loss?

Alucrid

Banned
ibuFIDQ7afUTmG.JPG

iRGRelGMYO87g.JPG

6mos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom