• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq will not be reviewing Nier

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Posted in the game's official topic? Not sure. I thought it deserved its own... I got a good laugh:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/03/nier-review-fail/

YES he was fishing in the wrong spot, but come on, a 30+ second countdown? He's very very right that they probably need to take whatever that number is, and divide it by like... 6.

Also, if you've been gaming your whole life and have never had a moment where you said to yourself "This is an hour of my life I am never getting back... why am I subjecting myself to this" then I call you a LIAR, good sir. As gamers, we all put up with developer abuse :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I was waiting for the Joystiq review before getting the game. Looks like I'll never have the pleasure of owning this game.

GDJustin said:
Posted in the game's official topic? Not sure. I thought it deserved its own... I got a good laugh:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/03/nier-review-fail/

YES he was fishing in the wrong spot, but come on, a 30+ second countdown? He's very very right that they probably need to take whatever that number is, and divide it by like... 6.

Also, if you've been gaming your whole life and have never had a moment where you said to yourself "This is an hour of my life I am never getting back... why am I subjecting myself to this" then I call you a LIAR, good sir. As gamers, we all put up with developer abuse :lol

I'm feeling what he's saying after trying to finish Record of Agarest War and succumbing to the horrid forced grinding..

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I hear the next game he's going to review is Twilight Princess. I'm pretty sure he's going to love the first few hours.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, he bitched about this very part on the podcast last week.

I guess this is the second game after Velvet Assassin that Joystiq has given up on.

Kittonwy

Banned
Wario64 said:
I was waiting for the Joystiq review before getting the game. Looks like I'll never have the pleasure of owning this game.

Not sure if serious.
Indifferent2.gif

Kyoufu

The fishing is pretty bad but I was under the assumption that it was optional? Anyway, it did frustrate me too but I still did it relatively easily.

Great game and that guy's loss for not playing all of it.

Volcynika

Only problem I have with Nier's fishing is catching TOO MANY EMPTY BUCKETS. People just throw those things away. Once I understood fishing, it's slightly time consuming, but easier than anything.

I thought it was funny him almost having a meltdown on camera :lol :lol :lol

But yeah. I've had a few bad experiences like that in games, it's damn infuriating at times.

I like how he mentions he's tasked with reviewing the game and then won't because of this. What's the point then? I hate when people like this guy think others care about what they review. I didn't even know they did reviews.

YagizY

"I'm still catching a fish! I have a sword on my back and their are demons and shit!"

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Calcaneus

VGChampion said:
I like how he mentions he's tasked with reviewing the game and then won't because of this. What's the point then? I hate when people like this guy think others care about what they review. I didn't even know they did reviews.
I'm sure regular Joystiq readers would care.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
VGChampion said:

When I used to review games back in ~2003 there wasn't much of a VG blog culture, yet. It was all fansites and big portals. Your editor assigned you a review, you played the game, you reviewed it.

So the rare occasions you ran into an issue like Joystiq ran into with Nier, you didn't really have many options. You didn't HAVE the option of creating a little mini-feature out of your adventure (that will probably generate far more attention than the review itself would have). You owed a review. With a score.

It sucked. What if a game is sorta OK, but 4 hours in you hit some part you CANNOT get past? Does the game get a 0? Do you pretend like you played the rest, give it a 6/10, and hope your editor himself hasn't played it to catch your BS?

Josh7289

VGChampion said:
I hate when people like this guy don't seem to realize people can get their reviews from different sources than their own.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
lol professionalism

brb, gotta tell my boss that I cant finish this drawing because the perspective is hard.

jett

D-Member
On one hand, did anyone really need reviews of Nier to realize that it seems to be a piece of crap? On the other it's this guy's job to review the thing.

And on a third, alien hand, I can't fucking understand what possesses game developerx to include and force broken shit like this in their games. How do they not realize this garbage isn't fun?

green_focus

Kobun Heat said:
Nier's fishing is pretty god damn infuriatingly terrible, that's for sure.

Actually I'd argue that it was explained in a way that is infuriatingly terrible. Once you get a handle on the controls and the fact that you get certain fish in certain places it becomes better. Not great and certainly not the highlight of the game, but absolutely doable.

Love the music, the voice acting isn't bad (love Weiss the book), and having more fun with it than FF 13. IMHO, I found myself saying "I'm never getting these hours back" while pushing my way through the 20 hour tutorial of FF 13. :lol

Oh wow

I had always thought gaming journalism had mostly been a job where a few crazy fanboys and some actually serious guys converge together to provide highs and lows of news and criticisms

Apparently it's not even a job anymore?

skip

the equivalent of walking out of a movie. sure, you didn't see how it ends...but the fact that it made you walk out is damning enough.

Kyoufu

jett said:
On one hand, did anyone really need reviews of Nier to realize that it seems to be a piece of crap? On the other it's this guy's job to review the thing.

And on a third, alien hand, I can't fucking understand what possesses game developer to include and force broken shit like this in their games. How do they not realize this garbage isn't fun?

The game isn't a piece of crap though, but whatever keeps you going.

I don't really get the complaint. It's optional and it takes less time to catch a fish the higher fishhing rank you have. As long as you have an actual brain you should be able to realise that if you get a bite from a fish and the health bar is moving very slowly, then you aren't really meant to catch that fish yet. The fish you'll actually need for whatever part of the quest you are on will only take around 5 seconds to catch.

Also when he says he had to look at the internet to find out how to fish then I wanted to cry as it's explained in-game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
It sounds like the game requires you to catch the fish?

Sounds damn retarded i must say.

Cant say im a fan of the reviewers attitude toward the situation though. Sounds like he is ranting because he is infuriated.

skip said:
the equivalent of walking out of a movie. sure, you didn't see how it ends...but the fact that it made you walk out is damning enough.

That's a pretty good comparison, actually.

Last movie I walked away from was Paranormal Activity. Can't remember the last game I quit because I got so frustrated with, though :lol

ram

I played four long hours of Nier with the full intention of completing a review of the game.

soo....playing a game about 4 hours is enough to review it? or to even write more than a rant or some hymn of praise??? oh wait ist...joystiq :lol :lol :lol

Feep

Banned
You pretentious assholes are pissing me off.

"game journalism lol"

Joystiq is a blog. It has never claimed nor pretended to be a professional news outlet, adherent to the ethics and responsibilities thereof. Despite that, they still do a generally excellent and even-handed job (compare it to, say, Kotaku), and a large portion of you go there deliberately to read their posts.

This was a humorous video designed to show why Nier was a fundamentally flawed and broken game. If you don't like it, you can go have fun at IGN or one of the New York Times' shitty technology blogs.

Vorg

Banned
I thought he was getting paid to review the game. How professional of him to whine like a spoiled brat instead if just doing his job and finishing the review. Less content = less hits, so I guess it's their loss.

Gravijah

ram said:
soo....playing a game about 4 hours is enough to review it? or to even write more than a rant or some hymn of praise??? oh wait ist...joystiq :lol :lol :lol

Actually, I'd say this isn't much different from most reviews.

Feep said:
You pretentious assholes are pissing me off.

"game journalism lol"

Joystiq is a blog. It has never claimed nor pretended to be a professional news outlet, adherent to the ethics and responsibilities thereof. Despite that, they still do a generally excellent and even-handed job (compare it to, say, Kotaku), and a large portion of you go there deliberately to read their posts.

This was a humorous video designed to show why Nier was a fundamentally flawed and broken game. If you don't like it, you can go have fun at IGN or one of the New York Times' shitty technology blogs.

Why are people allowed to make fun of the NY times blogs but not joystiq?

StuBurns

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Isn't this itself technically a review?
Pretty much.

People should be able to review games without completing them as long as they communicate that to a reader. If your opinion of a game from two hours is that it's a steaming piece of shit, there's no need to put another twenty hours in. Even if it suddenly becomes a masterpiece, your opinion of the start is still perfectly valid.

Feep said:

You can't say that a game is broken just because someone is too thick to figure out an incredibly simple, optional part of it.

Top Bottom