• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

superbrothers: sword & sworcery ep | 2011 Indie Hype

Jonnyram

"Our research indicates that social support networks will play a significant positive role in the outcome of S:S&S EP."

sword_and_sworcery.jpg

We are soon to reach the Vernal Equinox, so I know this is not so far away. In fact, this could probably be an OT, but who knows what could happen between here and the release.

superbrothers: sword & sworcery is an iDevice game devised by superbrothers.
It is a "21st century interpretation of the archetypical old school videogame adventure".
In essence, it's an indie/art house version of Zelda.
It's been in the works for a very long time, and it's about to see release any day now.
First comes the iPad version (Thursday March 24).
Then the LP (see also: bandcamp), sometime in April.
Then the iPhone/iPod Touch version, sometime later in April.

You can get a good feel of what's going to happen with the official trailer:
http://vimeo.com/20379529

If you want hot news, you can follow the main developers at:
superbrothers: https://twitter.com/the1console
Capybara games: https://twitter.com/Capybara_Games

Twitter hashtag = #sworcery.

Ranger X

Wow, I really don't know if the social network implementation will be nice (cause anything like that sounds like a receipt for disaster to me) but the game looks damn interesting nonetheless!

Roofy

holy shit! Jim Guthrie is doing the music for it!

I was totally wondering what he's been up to since Human Highway

this is an amazing coincidence

john tv said:
I am allowed to say I have this? If not, I will say: I am GREATLY looking forward to this!
I am now very intrigued as to who you are...

So, I'm from Capy, co-makers of this game w/ Superbrothers & Jim. When our studio internet stops sucking horseballs i will post more stuff.

Yay threads!

kassatsu

Banned
Cromulent_Word let me check the game out at PAX. Music is awesome, great pixel art, fun combat, plus puzzles... Sold.

Shits over all other iOS products.

LaneDS

Very much looking forward to trying this. Hadn't heard about the staggered iPhone release, which is unfortunate, but ultimately not a big deal. Will be curious to hear how the iPad folks react to it.

Noogy

Cromulent_Word said:

So, I'm from Capy, co-makers of this game w/ Superbrothers & Jim. When our studio internet stops sucking horseballs i will post more stuff.

Yay threads!
Seriously? I never knew Capy was involved :) Doubly excited now (as if my excitement level could have been any higher).

Cromulent_Word said:

Yay threads!

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

Noogy said:
Seriously? I never knew Capy was involved :) Doubly excited now (as if my excitement level could have been any higher).
We're oh-so-involved :)

It's a Capy/Superbrothers/Jim Guthrie collab in game form.

Also, I love you in a non-sexual way Noogy. Can't wait for Dust. Droolface goes here.

Wolves Evolve said:
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY
I will happily take your moneybucks next week, dear sir. BUT I SHALL NOT BE QUIETED!

NOTE: I now know who JohnTV is... much <3 for 8-4. Had a great time w/ Mark @ GDC.

Roofy

Cromulent_Word said:
We're oh-so-involved :)

It's a Capy/Superbrothers/Jim Guthrie collab in game form.

Also, I love you in a non-sexual way Noogy. Can't wait for Dust. Droolface goes here.

Tell Jim I love the music and that I want another Human Highway album

NOTE: I now know who JohnTV is, i think, and if i am right: i was very happy to meet & share beers with you during GDC pal. Thanks for the love ;)

http://twitter.com/#!/johntv

?

Pixel art looks fantastic. But the trailer is a little too hip for me to actually tell what's going on with the gameplay. Is there more video / impressions out these that actually talks about how it plays?

megateto

This thread fulfils my needs: now I don't need to wander through the iOS games thread trying to find info on the only game I really want for my iPad.

I know it sound stupid, but the thing that piqued my interest was the way the deer steered into the forest in one of the trailers..

TheFightingFish said:
Pixel art looks fantastic. But the trailer is a little too hip for me to actually tell what's going on with the gameplay. Is there more video / impressions out these that actually talks about how it plays?
Its a point-and-click adventure game with punch-out style combat, heavy on atmosphere and exploration, with puzzles, miracles and social networks mixed in.

hows that?

edit: fixed the John TV guess. For some reason i thought it was mark which made zero sense whatsoever. I blame the PAX flu making my brain sludgy.

LaneDS

Cromulent_Word said:
Its a point-and-click adventure game with punch-out style combat, heavy on atmosphere and exploration, with puzzles, miracles and social networks mixed in.

hows that?

That was always the sense I got from the earliest footage released of the game (well, not the Punch-Out! style combat, of course). I was a bit confused to see Zelda mentioned in the OP as such.

oracrest

john tv said:
I am allowed to say I have this? If not, I will say: I am GREATLY looking forward to this!

I am so bummed that I missed out on the lecture here in Austin a while back. There were demo Ipads that you could play afterwards.

LaneDS said:
That was always the sense I got from the earliest footage released of the game (well, not the Punch-Out! style combat, of course). I was a bit confused to see Zelda mentioned in the OP as such.

The combat reminded me a lot of The Immortal. At least the presentation.

LaneDS said:
There is some Zelda influence, just not in the most obvious ways. But yea, i wouldn't necessarily peg Zelda as the closest reference...

lethial said:
Very very well done trailer. Too bad I don't own anything that would play it.
Thanks - I cut it :)

atomsk

Party Pooper
frothing demand etc etc

the wait for ipod will be the worst part, luckily there's way too many games out right now that need playing

MarkMacD

So I'm a little over 1/3 through the game.

At the risk of setting expectations too high ('cause I think coming into it with few / no preconceptions is part of the magic -- don't read any further!), let me summarize my first night (maybe 60-90 mins) with it:

S&S: EP is basically a hot date for your senses. (tm)

It takes your eyes to an amazing gallery opening. (Disclosure: I'm a HUGE fan of the Superbros. aesthetic, but just check the videos -- this game has -style-. More importantly, that style is woven into the fabric of every aspect of the experience, not simply layered on top of some established template. ...Did I mention it just looks bad-ass?)

It takes your ears to a kick-ass concert (Music is the secret sauce to this game; I lingered in a dungeon just to hear more of the background tune -- only other times I've done that, that I remember at least, are FF VII and Zelda: LttP. I went into combat again, on purpose, just to hear that track one more time. And more disclosure: I'm not a big "game music" guy.)

It takes your brain to a really cool little cafe / bar you didn't know was right in your neighborhood, has this really fascinating, profound, and -- at times -- funny conversation with it... Before your brain knows it, it's drunk, maybe a little stoned, and back at S&S's place, getting fucked. And I mean that in the best way possible. Definitely consensual.

I don't even want to elaborate any further than that. Not at this point, anyway -- maybe once people have played it, safely behind a spoiler-tagged wall.

I'm not saying you won't find flaws, things you might have done differently, what have you. But if you don't find the mood, the atmosphere -- the overall experience well worth your time and money...well, I'm not sure we'll ever see eye-to-eye about games, iOS or otherwise.

Suffice to say: Yeah, it's a good time.

Recently got a secondhand iPod Touch from someone, and just in time for this. Anyone of you seen it on one of those? I'm not diving into buying an iPad just for this, but I'm hoping the experience isn't gimped on the much smaller screen.

Big Icarus said:
Recently got a secondhand iPod Touch from someone, and just in time for this. Anyone of you seen it on one of those? I'm not diving into buying an iPad just for this, but I'm hoping the experience isn't gimped on the much smaller screen.
Now, i'm biased, but i definitely dont think its gimped - it's just a smaller screen. You still get the amazing pixels, the soundtrack, and the gameplay.

Mr Jared

Ungggg. I can't wait for this. Sword & Sworcery is one of the main reasons I gave in at the 11th hour and hopped in line for an iPad 2.

oracrest said:
Cromulent, is there going to be any visual degradation between Ipad and Iphone devices?
We've got specific art for all resolutions to ensure crisp pixel art & no stretchy bitmaps. Sure, the newer the device the nicer the screen, but the game looks great (and crisp!) on my 3GS.

This looks absolutely amazing. I just wish I had a device to play it on... Maybe i'll borrow someones iPad I know.

Cromulent_Word: My mother thanks you and the rest of Capy a lot for Critter Crunch. She has played that game so damn much lol.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Expecting good things, you all got my sale support in any case despite the outcome!

SteveWinwood said:
Cromulent_Word: My mother thanks you and the rest of Capy a lot for Critter Crunch. She has played that game so damn much lol.
+1 my girl even got farther than me when it became too hard for me, pre-patch too!

Top Bottom