• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Art thread (Official/Unofficial)

I love it. Don't you? I think the only prerequisite is that, it has to be official, and if not, then it has to be good. Let's not ruin it with Misty stroking Gardevoir. Leave that to your filthy minds you scally knaves!
What I'm really after is some quality Sugimori artwork, especially the original art he did for Red/Green/Blue. I can't find that anywhere!
I'll start off with some of my favourites

johto_map1.png

Mj3yO.png

art_blastoisered-e1299811308808-300x295.gif

art_blastoisered-e1299811308808-300x295.gif

h7lsP.jpg

WuzcL.jpg

ZrCxM.jpg

UY4L0.png

G5XKL.png

AUqZi.png

zqtXn.jpg

Kyzer

Banned
A long time ago I made the Pokemon Game Appreciation Thread and I have to say. I wholeheartedly agree. Ken Sugimori is unrivaled.

Gravijah said:
two blastoises cuz he is just that awesome

Seriously..
Remember the incomplete pokédex in the manual for Red/Blue? It had a handful of Pokémon artwork.. I want the complete set man!

Andrefpvs

Andrex has a pretty neat web album of good fanart, I believe.

Some art is really amazing. The one my avatar comes from:

If someone knows of a better quality version of this one, then please!

Going to sound crazy but...I recall seeing a fan art piece of the gold/silver hero versus red in the cave? The kid's eyes was gold and red is looking down at him. Please someone post this in hi res if you can.

Paprikka

Urban Scholar said:
Going to sound crazy but...I recall seeing a fan art piece of the gold/silver hero versus red in the cave? The kid's eyes was gold and red is looking down at him. Please someone post this in hi res if you can.
This one?
5tH4z.jpg

Don't have too many other images but I always really liked this one:
nXpsV.jpg

Lijik

Green Mamba said:
You are crazy.
No I agree. Theres this weird rough charm to RBY/GSC stuff that got lost in the GBA generation.
I don't think RSE on looks bad at all, but I do prefer the early art.

Wow, that Charizard in the sky is absolutely amazing. I want to see more of that.

I like the world maps the most. I don't know if it's because it has that "map" look to them or that you can see the actual land marks like bridges and stuff. Every time I see one I want to play the game.

BlueWord

Lijik said:
No I agree. Theres this weird rough charm to RBY/GSC stuff that got lost in the GBA generation.
I don't think RSE on looks bad at all, but I do prefer the early art.

To each his own. I think the early stuff wears it's Toriyama influence on its sleeve - the later stuff is more distinctly its own style. I do like the watercolor look of the early art, though.

Well, better contribute to the thread with my terrible Pokemon art I've done awhile back.
r23tF.png

Aw4yO.png

KPj7C.png

Maybe I should try something more ambitious next.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I had another good one of red but I forgot where I put it. Along the same vein as the last one but with Espeon instead.

Regulus Tera said:
I still don't get why Red has a Lapras in the remake. :/ Espeon was cooler.
So one more Pokemon of his can take advantage of Blizzard getting 100% accurate during Hail. Half his team has Blizzard with the inclusion of Lapras.

Anth0ny

Gotta love the classic Sugimori art.

Sugimori_Starter_artwork.png

150.png

/vp/ will randomly have retro Sugimori art threads, and let me tell you, they are jam packed with hundreds of amazing art pieces I've never seen before.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Found it:
The original team
1239867220468.jpg

Japan really loves their pokemon (and slashing red/blue, not safe for your childhood)

apana

After the Zelda Art thread, I thought this would be the next one I'd start. Oh well, glad someone got to it.

TheOGB

Banned
sykoex said:
Wallpaper:

http://i.imgur.com/dxeq6.jpg[IMG]

More here:
[url]http://pldh.net/gallery/the493[/url][/QUOTE]
What'd I say

but since the floodgates are open
[URL=http://i.imgur.com/kkMKM.jpg][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kkMKMl.jpg[/URL]

.JayZii

Banned
Pokemon has a quality about it that whether it's depicted as super cutesy, epic or somewhere in between, it never really seems out of line. Good idea for a thread.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Don't know if there was ever a bigger pic of this released (it's official art, btw)...

dGsjQ.jpg

Top Bottom