• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy / Game Boy Color Appreciation Thread

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
5KLly.gif

Welcome to the Game Boy / Game Boy Color appreciation thread. I thought it would be fitting to create one with the launch of the 3DS eShop and the Virtual Console.

As has been discussed in a number of threads, the Game Boy's library of titles has issues holding itself up to the high standards of some older consoles. A large number of titles on the Game Boy were in fact, puzzle games, and most have been surpassed to various degrees on other platforms.

However, the games that are worth playing are indeed some of the best titles one could hope to find. This is a list of a handful of titles I believe hold up the best to this day (ie; I'm not wasting time on Tetris), but feel free to discuss what titles you think hold up and which you enjoyed as kids. And let me know how horrible my selections are.

xe6TY.gif

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening: In my mind, both the original and DX versions are the best lasting memory of the Game Boy family one could have. When Link's Awakening released, it was truly amazing to be holding a game that equalled A Link to the Past in your hands. The writing in the game in amusing, the graphics hold up as well as one could hope, there's unique wonderful music, the puzzles are among the best in the series, and it's an all around great experience.

l6X5B.gif

Donkey Kong (94): Donkey Kong by name, this is really a very clever and well designed puzzle game. Notably though, it was the first Game Boy title that was made with Super Game Boy specifics in mind. This included a palette designed just for the title, and a great looking SMG border as well. The title has polish and the simplistic graphics do not detract from what the game has to offer.

41GDJ.gif

Kirby's Dream Land 2: It's likely most people played the original Dream Land, and missed out on this version which is truly sad. Dream Land 2 offered some unique gameplay to the Kirby series through the use of your three animal allies. Visually the game holds up quite well, and is Enhanced by the Super Game Boy. Enhanced support includes custom color palette, border, and even takes advantage of the Super Nintendo's superior sound chip.

wxHvT.gif

Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins: Opinions on this title always seem to divide people like no other Game Boy title (aside from maybe the Mario Land before it!). In my opinion, the game's uniqueness in levels, abilities, and well polished design make it hold up quite well. Controls are 'floaty', which may be on of the issues people have with it the most. Sadly, a Deluxe Color version was cancelled (along with Metroid II DX) late in to the Game Boy Color's life.

Zlso8.gif

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3: This title, along with Link's Awakening, is one where the development effort, and final product rival that of games Nintendo was putting out on the Super Nintendo at the time. The title has great platforming, as well as a focus on collecting treasure, and money for different end game scenarios.

zN5KE.gif

Donkey Kong Land (and series): The series of Donkey Kong Land games is hardly remembered by gamers when compared to Nintendo's other platformers on the Game Boy. But they offer some of the best level design of the generation when it comes to platformers, and the titles (specifically the first) have very unique levels outside the scope of the Country series. Visually, people may want to vomit after looking at Donkey Kong Land screens, but in motion the games are not nearly as terrible. Music in the title shares some similarities with Country series, but has great tunes only found in Land. Feel free to argue with me on this one, because my nostalgia might be too strong.

Notable Game Boy mentions: Tetris, Tetris Attack, Final Fantasy Adventure, Kid Dracula, Metroid II: Return of Samus, Pokémon Trading Card Game, Super R.C. Pro Am, Gargoyle's Quest, Kid Dracula.

L0VvE.gif

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons & Ages: Developed by Flagship, and published by Nintendo the two Oracle games are two of the most unique titles in the Zelda series. While the maintain many aspects of Link's Awakening, including the two button equipment system and a variety of graphics the gameplay in both changed quite a bit. Seasons was designed to focus mostly on action, and Ages on puzzles. Either game could be played first, and then the player could transfer their data over to the other cart once they finished. A number of story elements could change depending on decisions made in the other title. One of the least played games in the series, and the titles I most hope come to Virtual Console on 3DS soon.

bMhxi.gif

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe: Visually (except for the aspect ratio), this is the NES version of Super Mario Bros, with the Lost Levels being unlockable. There were plenty of additions to this title, such as an Overworld, the ability to switch between Bros and simultaneous multiplayer. But the feature most people would want to play this version for is the Challenge Mode, in which the player must find hidden coins in every level and reach/exceed a score by the end of the level. This provided a great breath of fresh air to a title that would have been great anyways.

ELa6T.gif

Shantae: One of the most overlooked Game Boy Color titles, that thankfully received a well deserved sequel recently on DSiWare. Shantae really pushed the limits of the Game Boy Color for both visuals and even in its music. It was a fantastic new IP at a time when it felt like the GBC was receiving nothing, but Color'ed ports of older titles and it holds up equally as well.

Notably Game Boy Color mentions: Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel, Survival Kids, Warlocked, Game & Watch Gallery 2, Wario Land 2, Wario Land 3.

EW4ZB.gif

One of the better ways to play your classic Game Boy games is on the Super Game Boy. The Super Game Boy actually consists of the same hardware as the Game Boy; inside the cartridge is a separate CPU that processes the games while the Super NES only provided means for user-input, output of graphics to the screen, and the additional coloring, similar to the Atari 5200 version of the Atari 2600 adapter.

It was also possible for Super Game Boy games to make use of the SNES hardware for extra effects, as demonstrated in Contra: The Alien Wars, Donkey Kong, Kirby's Dream Land 2, and Toy Story; these games had expanded sound when used with the Super Game Boy. Wario Blast, the Game Boy version of Killer Instinct, and several other titles even allowed the second Super NES controller to be used for two-player action, and the title screen changed to show that these games had a two-player option, rather than a connection status.*from Wikipedia

C1lGi.png
esHG2.jpg
qVIPa.gif
DuN3C.png

A great thread, and some truly often overlooked games.

Zelda: Oracle of Ages is one of the greatest Zelda games ever, and if any fans of the franchise haven't played it, they're doing themselves a tremendous disservice.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ultima_5 said:
Dont forget Pokemon gold & silver....

They're notable titles, but every Pokemon game on the GB/GBC is terrible in comparison to today. The gameplay is horrifically slow, the mechanics are very vanilla, and they just don't hold up well at all.

Where I could recommend person that has never played Link's Awakening to play it, I could not do the same for any of the older Pokemon titles. I made the list of titles I think hold up the best.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
MvCXK.jpg

Dragon Warrior Monsters, and the sequel (which, coming after the Pokemon boom, came in two versions) are cooler than the DS version, imo.

Wilsongt

Final Fantasy Legends I -III , Dragon Quest III GBC, Harvest Moon I - III, Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal... <3

Deku

Banned
Nobunaga's Ambtion on GB is really a one of a kind project. KOEI successfuly miniaturized/simplified the console/PC formula and managed to create a game that has the key features of the Nobunaga's Ambition games while moving at a brisk pace. If I recall you can play through an open campaign in about 2-4 hours.

I spent hundreds of hours in that game.

Most handheld strategy games these days are either tower defense games or glorified tower defense games standing in for an RTS or some other genre.

Would love for this game to come to VC.

nobunagas_ambition.png

ryan-ts

EvilMario said:
They're notably titles, but every Pokemon game on the GB/GBC is terrible in comparison to today. The gameplay is horrifically slow, the mechanics are very vanilla, and they just don't hold up well at all.

Where I could recommend person that has never played Link's Awakening to play it, I could not do the same for any of the older Pokemon titles. I made the list of titles I think hold up the best.

You did include the Donkey Kong Land games though, which I felt held up pretty poorly and I think they are not all worth playing through these days. On the other hand, I absolutely adore Pokemon Silver and still consider it to be my favourite game in the entire series to play through, even over the remakes of the same game.

Obviously this is your thread and are entitled to shape the OP as you want to but I just thought I'd throw my own opinion out there.

Aside from Tetris, Super Mario Land and Pokemon, my biggest memory from the GameBoy is Gargoyle's Quest. I really struggled with it as I was 6 or 7 when it came out, but I really enjoyed it.

I played loads of GB and GBC games, but can never remember all of them. Reading the GB Gamespite book jogged my memory in a few places, but I'm hoping the 3DS VC will help spark some great memories when new games are released.

I have a feeling that, good or bad, I'm going to buy the vast majority of the GB/GBC catalogue that end up on the 3DS VC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ryan-ts said:
You did include the Donkey Kong Land games though, which I felt held up pretty poorly and I think they are not all worth playing through these days. On the other hand, I absolutely adore Pokemon Silver and still consider it to be my favourite game in the entire series to play through, even over the remakes of the same game.

Obviously this is your thread and are entitled to shape the OP as you want to but I just thought I'd throw my own opinion out there.

Would you recommend Silver over Soul Silver?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ryan-ts said:

I respect that, I just can't bring myself to play the older Pokemon titles, where as I think Donkey Kong Land games are playable for someone today. I know there are plenty of people that feel the same about the Land series though, so just my opinion as well.

Metal-Geo

Shit yeah Donkey Kong 94. Nintendo really should've continued this 'franchise'. Mario vs Donkey Kong was great and gave me high hopes in the return of the franchise.

But then they ignored it again and went a different route. (Although the DS MvDK games are still fun though)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gameboy415 said:
Revenge of the Gator = one of the best pinball games EVER.

I've heard a bunch of people mention this, and it's been on most 'Hidden Gems of the Game Boy' list. If it comes to Virtual Console, I will definitely want to give it a whirl.

ryan-ts

Stumpokapow said:
Would you recommend Silver over Soul Silver?

Would I? Probably not given my reasons for enjoying it. I like the original look of the game on the GBC, I prefer the music (which isn't available in the remake until much later in the game) and I prefer the Pokemon sprites as well.

The remake is much easier to get into and it also provides slightly better leveling then the original when it comes to being prepared to fight the Elite 4, even though you'll probably still be underlevelled. It's also easier to get around the world given that the running shoes are available so early and there's also a ton of extras (that I didn't care for personally) in the remake. So for the majority I'd say get Soul Silver.

Yes my opinion is heavily influenced by nostalgia but hey, that's part of the territory when it comes to enjoying older games and I wouldn't have it any other way.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
snap0212 said:
No one has recommended these two yet? :(

One of my favorite titles I didn't list of Mickey's Dangerous Chase. It's a damn tough game, and I hold fond memories of it. I'm not sure that it would sell for other people these days however. Check it out if you enjoy some of the older tough platformers.

JackEtc

I wish I still had my Lime Green Game Boy Color.

You know what game was awesome? Spider Man 2: The Sinister Six. I loved that game so much. It was probably nostalgia though, I'm sure it got awful reviews.

ryan-ts

iyox said:
Mario Tennis. This needs to be released on virtual console ASAP. I bet it will never happen :(

I freaking love that game. Only problem is that there's unlockable characters and mini games that were only available using the N64 transfer pak.

Link's Awakening is fantastic and up there with the best in the series. Picked up the DX version on 3DS eShop today - looking forward to going back through it.

The Oracles / Ages games are great as well - will buy when they hit the eShop. The Zelda games on GB have a really nice look to them. Also loved Metal Gear Solid: GB, Motocross Maniacs, Pokemon (Blue / Silver), Super Mario Land 2, Wario Land series.

Some games (not mentioned) I liked as a kid that may or may not have held up:
  • King of the Zoo / Penguin Wars (this was awesome, it will still be awesome surely)
  • Dr. Franken
  • Turtles: Fall of the Footclan
  • Cannon Fodder (GBC)
  • Mario Golf (GBC) - part golf game, part RPG of sorts I recall
  • Kirby's Pinball Land (my mum was addicted to this)
  • Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle (I think I had 2 or 3)
  • Balloon Kid
  • Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Just remembering all these games has me pretty excited about 3DS VC. I kind of forgot about all the stuff I really enjoyed across both systems.

thomaser

Batman for the old GB is pretty damn good. It looks like ass, but has great, varied gameplay. The music is great too.

batman_gb.gif

I don't know, I was really disappointed by Kirby's Dreamland 2. It just wasn't as fun as the other Kirby games. It was especially disappointing after playing Kirby's Adventure. It's a fine game, but it just wasn't my favorite Kirby game. I thought Kirby's Dreamland 3 improved the game so much more.

Needs more love for Kirby's Block Ball, Kirby's Star Stacker, and Kirby's Pinball.

DMG-01

EvilMario said:
One of my favorite titles I didn't list of Mickey's Dangerous Chase. It's a damn tough game, and I hold fond memories of it. I'm not sure that it would sell for other people these days however. Check it out if you enjoy some of the older tough platformers.
Oh God. I had that game when I was a kid and I don't think I ever got past the second or third stage (if even that far). I should go buy it and beat it to avenge child me.

Also, I just realized that I forgot about one of my favorite GB games ever:
KirbyStarStacker.jpg

This is really the only Tetris like "puzzle" game that I've ever really gotten into. It's loads of fun for some reason.

This is my favorite handheld ever, and was the first handheld system i got. The design still holds up, and i still play it from time to time even though i got a GBA.
2v7ur9x.jpg

Favorite games:
2dv0dnm.jpg

2dt6g6c.jpg

6pqp12.jpg

Rapstah

I wish I still had my Gold and Crystal saves, but across those two Pokémon games I probably played my GBC thousands of hours. And I didn't even know anyone to trade with. Amazing for the time, although I can't stand them today after being spoiled by later generations.

Oozer3993

Mama Robotnik said:
A great thread, and some truly often overlooked games.

Zelda: Oracle of Ages is one of the greatest Zelda games ever, and if any fans of the franchise haven't played it, they're doing themselves a tremendous disservice.

Damn straight. Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel fits this as well. Great game, one of my favorite of the series.

isny

napkin dispenser
This.

2dv0dnm.jpg

Plus my list from the other thread.

Metroid, Kirby, Mario/Wario Land, Final Fantasy GB games, Mega Man games, Donkey Kong, Pokemon Pinball, Pokemon GB/GBC games, R-Type, Dragon Warrior, Zelda Oracle games, Metal Gear

Which, have mostly been mentioned by you guys =)

Zelda and Wario Land games alone ensured that I appreciated the fuck out of these.
Then you have Pokémon and it's all over my face overdrive mode.

Fabiollo

I still use my old boy to make 8 bit music. The sound of the wave channel is my favourite thing in chiptune (after the c64).

939200-kirbysblockball_large.jpg

bubble-ghost.jpg

433979-catrap_box_art_large.jpg

beatmania_gb_gbc_sell.jpg

Beatmania_GB_Gotchamix_2_GBC_Sell.jpg

A number of these are thanks to the lesser known gems GB/C thread. Don't be thrown off by the appearance of Catrap, either. That's a fiendish puzzle/platformer.

Beautiful OP!

I can't believe how many truly magical games the GB/GBC hosted over time. I'll second the Donkey Kong '94 recommendation and throw in some props for this overlooked gem:

Mole_mania_boxart.png

bryehn

TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan
Skate or Die Bad N' Rad

I remember these fondly.

I was busy being a 20-something drunken party guy and never had a GBC, so anything we see on the eShop VC will be fresh for me. I love that and hate it at the same time, who needs more backlog?

Tiktaalik

I played the GB a ton when I was a kid and there are ton of random games that I bought and sold and I barely remember if they're even good or not. Definitely I'd be impulse buying a few if they're at the $2 mark. For example Bill and Ted's Excellent Gameboy Adventure was a single screen Donkey Kongesque puzzle action game that I recall being surprisingly decent. I was a little kid when I played it though so who knows, maybe it was awful.

There were a ton of licensed games like Bill and Ted on the GB actually. Maybe the licensing stuff will end up being an issue and we won't get some of these.

Top Bottom