• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with the 3DS?

When it was first announced I was pretty much hyped, then they released the thing without games... what's to come?
Why is there no new advance wars for example? That always helped to fuel sales of their handhelds.
What exatly is Nintendo's strategy with the 3DS? Is anyone here able to explain to me what they are doing currently?

Ken

Ahoi-Brause said:
Is anyone here able to explain to me what they are doing currently?
Nope, but Mercenaries and SSFIV have given me close to 160 hours of playtime on my 3DS so I don't feel as troubled by the lack of games.

MLH

Geez, you people worry about nothing. 3DS has bee out for a few months, only western developers have cancelled games so far. ( I understand you are upset about Megaman legends but it was never greenlit in the first place)

As for no Advance wars, Intelligent Systems are working on Paper Mario 3DS.
There are far more games ready for Xmas period; far more than the DS had in its first year.

Futureman

There's a game every month for the rest of the year that I want to play, plus throw in VC and 3D Classic releases and I should be fine. I'm not a huge gamer by any means though, so I could see others being disappointed.

Judging by the amount of people who said they bought their 3DS for MML3 in the cancelled thread, people just seem to make stupid hardware purchase decisions.

SmokyDave

Let's retitle this topic "List Famous Nintendo Franchises From The Past 20 Years" because that's pretty much all that's gonna happen in here.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Let's see
September: StarFox64, Bit Trip SAGA, Crush3D, Shinobi
October: Mario Kart 3D, Kid Icarus (I think)
November: MGS: Snake Eater 3D, Mario 3D, Sonic Generations, Tales of the Abyss, Cave Story 3D

Next year

RE: Revelations
Kingdom Hearts:DDD (for those who says "SE,looool..." ...FFXIII-2 is coming just one month after the Japanese release,and DDD is at 40-50%,from the Osaka team,not the Versus one,so...)
Rayman Origins (in 3D,oh God)
Beyond the Labyrinth
Rune Factory 4
Layton (we'll get the fifth next year)
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Luigi's Mansion
Animal Crossing
Paper Mario

And in Japan announcements are continuing, and we know N will shock us (not only with lacks of localisations :lol ).

So,stop with bothering. We'll enjoy the next months greatly.

P.S. It's time to do a DS / 3DS first nine months comparison.
Maybe, I'll do it later.
I'm sick of people saying DS was better XD

sk3tch

The 3DS is on life support. I have been trying to sell mine for weeks. There are brand new units regularly selling for around $215 on eBay so it's hard to compete out there. Just a lot of folks jumping ship due to the lack of games. I mean, they're not even supporting their downloadable eShop very well. Just release Virtual Console games...it's all I ask, dammit!

Too expensive for what it is. Kids can't afford it. Parents don't want to buy it. Especially with the DS at $99.

SmokyDave said:
Let's retitle this topic "List Famous Nintendo Franchises From The Past 20 Years" because that's pretty much all that's gonna happen in here.

Exactly. Mario isn't going to save a $250 handheld. Maybe if they cut the price.

Ken

sk3tch said:
The 3DS is on life support. I have been trying to sell mine for weeks. There are brand new units regularly selling for around $215 on eBay so it's hard to compete out there. Just a lot of folks jumping ship due to the lack of games. I mean, they're not even supporting their downloadable eShop very well. Just release Virtual Console games...it's all I ask, dammit!

Too expensive for what it is. Kids can't afford it. Parents don't want to buy it. Especially with the DS at $99.

Exactly. Mario isn't going to save a $250 handheld. Maybe if they cut the price.
I wish I could find a JPN 3DS at those prices.

Pein

Banned
I bought the thing for RPGs and so far nothing has come out, I understand they take time to make so its whatever right now. Only 3DS game I'm gonna buy that's guaranteed is RE Revelations. I wanted Megaman, but we all know how that went down.

Worst drought ever.

Hold your horses pilgrim, Rome wasn't built in a day. If you were to judge the PS2 on its first year it would have been labelled a rubbish platform, but then the second generation titles hit like tidal wave and that abysmal start was all swept under the rug of history along with the DS's slow start etc. etc.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Pein said:
I bought the thing for RPGs and so far nothing has come out, I understand they take time to make so its whatever right now. Only 3DS game I'm gonna buy that's guaranteed is RE Revelations. I wanted Megaman, but we all know how that went down.

Worst drought ever.
You bought a system for games that didn't exist. What did you expect?

It's usually not even free anymore.

I'm probably the only guy who can stomach airline food. Though I usually choose something Asian. I'm told you should always pick the chicken. You can't fuck up chicken.

It's clear that we--as a gaming community--have forgotten how system launches tend to go. After all, it's been a long time since the 360, PS3 and Wii were released.

However, rest assured: this is relatively par for the course, release schedule-wise. Sales-wise, however, the system is under-performing, but that's most likely due to its cost and the astronomical expectations coming off the DS's success. Mainly the cost, though.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Ahoi-Brause said:
When it was first announced I was pretty much hyped, then they released the thing without games... what's to come?
Why is there no new advance wars for example? That always helped to fuel sales of their handhelds.
What exatly is Nintendo's strategy with the 3DS? Is anyone here able to explain to me what they are doing currently?

because they don't want me specifically, to buy it. Same reason there isn't a mario platformer on it yet (I know it's coming)

Kinda works for me though. release those 2 after a price drop and hardware sold.

It's always like this when you early adopt a platform though. Launch titles almost always suck. the DS was TERRIBLE and now look at it. Remember the Yoshi game where you draw clouds? That was the best thing they had at the time, that was shit.

Effect

I think accepting that games will only come from Japanese companies is key here. Doesn't mean it isn't a problem. We have to wait for the game to come out in Japan and then it's still not a guarantee that the game will be localized, it can easily not be. For this reason the 3DS should not have been released outside of Japan for another several months. Not only were the games not there (I have enjoyed some launch games but they weren't must buys or things I'd put high on my list of favorites) but games of any significant note still won't be available to anyone outside of Japan for some time.

Then there is the possibility, that I still hold, that western developers have a bit of anti-Nintendo in them for various reasons. I expect them to be more open to the PSVita in general because it's Sony and not Nintendo. The assest sharing between the PS3 (also perhaps the 360) and the Vita should make supporting the PSVita a less risky venture for some publishers/developers. Meaning more likely western support and consumers not simply having to wait on Japanese developers/publishers to supply games. It's for this reason why I'm looking forward to the PSVita unless things change with the 3DS and Nintendo stops treating it's largest markets as distant secondaries.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
dallow_bg said:
Mpl90 really loves that 3DS.

The fact is that I can't see the doom and gloom with all the games coming. Simply this. XD
I was also one who loved Wii... but this year is too much empty.

BUT I'M EUROPEAN!MUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Somnid

MikeE21286 said:
who's got the...

<gametitle>willsavethe3DS.jpg

Does anyone find this image funny though? It worked for PS3 because that's what was in a lot of threads. For the 3DS it's been forced because nobody really thinks anything aside from Mario Kart is going to be a savior at this point.

Pein

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
You bought a system for games that didn't exist. What did you expect?
I understand that, but things should pick up soon so I'm not stressing it. I was gonna buy one eventually for pokemon, I just got it way way earlier then expected,

It's simply not worth the cost at this point. Especially considering the PSVita price announcement. Nintendo dropped the ball on this handheld and you can bet your ass Sony will move to intercept as much of the market as they can.

Tucah

you speak so well
Do people not remember how system launches go? The software lineup is pretty normal as far as first years go. Nintendo's first party output for the system is fine - we're getting a new Mario Kart and Mario platformer in the first year!

The DS launch in particular was AWFUL. There was nothing to play for months and months - at least for the 3DS we have some decent games coming out here and there (an incredible remake of one of the best games ever just came out!).

The system's expensive, sure, but I'd almost guarantee a price cut for the holidays/Vita launch.

Bottom line, Nintendo probably rushed the system a bit and could have waited until the holiday to release the thing, but software-wise it's on par with pretty much every other system launch ever. People need to learn to either be patient or stop buying systems at launch if you want dozens of games to play right away.

TheContact

I bought the 3DS and while I don't regret the purchase, the 3D does feel gimicky Sometimes I even turn it off because I just don't enjoy it that much, not to mention the strain it puts on your eyes. Maybe I'm just oldschool but the whole 3D era isn't appealing to me.

Somnid said:
Does anyone find this image funny though? It worked for PS3 because that's what was in a lot of threads. For the 3DS it's been really forced because nobody really thinks anything aside from Mario Kart is going to be a savior at this point.

From my memory, you can take out Mario Kart from that sentence and put Metal Gear Solid 4 in there and you essentially have the PS3's situation .

Hey, I'm not hating. I think the future lineup is promising enough for 3DS that I picked one up recently, even though it's not selling so hot early on here.

carfo said:
I bought the 3DS and while I don't regret the purchase, the 3D does feel gimicky Sometimes I even turn it off because I just don't enjoy it that much, not to mention the strain it puts on your eyes. Maybe I'm just oldschool but the whole 3D era isn't appealing to me.

Just wondering if you have tried Zelda 3D. The 3D adds a good deal of detail and immersion to the game IMO.

weeaboo

Weekly "The 3DS is doomed" NeoGAF thread.

We must do an Official Thread, "Nintendo 3DS is doomed |OT| of alive today, Vita tomorrow"

[Nintex]

As soon as the DS fades away the 3DS will too and then Nintendo's marketing monkeys will have to explain to Iwata why in the flying fuck even the retailers think it's an upgraded DS and not a new system.

Dave Long

Banned
I've put more hours into the 3DS than any other platform in the last three months. So I guess what's up for me is "This thing is pretty awesome."

I just got my son Ocarina to play on it. I've played hours and hours of Ridge Racer. Played another five or so hours of Excitebike. Messed around with everything else multiple times and haven't even tried the virtual console yet, though I plan to.

Ultimately, it's going to replace the current models of the DS sold in stores, and it will likely take off at that point in time alongside some more big games.

Famassu

There's just the usual post-launch lull. Pretty much all/most platforms suffer from it. Give it time, the latter part of 2011 (after the slow Summer months are over) already looks much better.

I don't think the 3DS is in trouble, but I'm a little surprised that anyone who has been a console owner for a while would not know by now that Nintendo consoles tend to have huge software droughts for months after launch and whenever Nintendo decides to start to focus on a new system.

LevityNYC

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Better question: Why do you care how he spends his money and gameplay time?

To justify the 3DS is worth 250 by pointing out how he played 5 hours of Excitebike is ridiculous.

Its like saying, I spent 300 for a new PS3 and you wouldn't believe how much time I spent scrolling the XMB.

Effect

[Nintex] said:
As soon as the DS fades away the 3DS will too and then Nintendo's marketing monkeys will have to explain to Iwata why in the flying fuck even the retailers think it's an upgraded DS and not a new system.
The confusion regarding the 3DS in relation to the DS is such an easy fix. However until they are ready to move on from the DS they will address it in a straight forward manner (as straight forward as Nintendo can be). It's short sighted I think because while they still make money off the DS it will just make it that much harder for them to push the 3DS later on once they've milked the DS well dry. I understand the whole idea of doing the least amount of work in order to get gain biggest profit. Coasting on the success of the DS is understandable but I do wonder if they realize you can go to far with this to the point it hurts the brand of the new product.

Even if they don't want to go out and directly say the 3DS is a superior product that can also play DS games they aren't even hinting at it. That I find the most confusing. Capcom is doing more to show that the 3DS is not simply a DS revision with the Resident Evil ad, the graphical power of the system, and it isn't their damn system.

TheContact

MikeE21286 said:
From my memory, you can take out Mario Kart from that sentence and put Metal Gear Solid 4 in there and you essentially have the PS3's situation .

Hey, I'm not hating. I think the future lineup is promising enough for 3DS that I picked one up recently, even though it's not selling so hot early on here.

Just wondering if you have tried Zelda 3D. The 3D adds a good deal of detail and immersion to the game IMO.

That's actually the one game I bought. It's a definitely a great game and I do play with the 3D on most of the time ( since that's the whole point of the machine =p ). I will play and beat it and continue to buy games for it (like the upcoming Star Fox remake) but I wish they hadn't gone the 3D route and focused on better hardware and less gimicky grabs. Netflix is a big plus though, even though I have an iPad and an iPhone.

sk3tch

ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
Hold your horses pilgrim, Rome wasn't built in a day. If you were to judge the PS2 on its first year it would have been labelled a rubbish platform, but then the second generation titles hit like tidal wave and that abysmal start was all swept under the rug of history along with the DS's slow start etc. etc.

If you wanna go that route - PS2 had something else going for it that was huge - DVD playback. At the time it was one a pretty affordable purchase even if you just went DVD. The 3DS is a one purpose machine only. Yeah...it does Netflix. But so does everything. And they do it cheaper.

Lance Bone Path said:
I don't think the 3DS is in trouble, but I'm a little surprised that anyone who has been a console owner for a while would not know by now that Nintendo consoles tend to have huge software droughts for months after launch and whenever Nintendo decides to start to focus on a new system.
Pretty much every console has droughts for the first few months/year. This is hardly a new thing.

Top Bottom