• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2011 Anime of the Year Results Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Voting thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456785

1) Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

1madokaz7k56.jpg

A loving family, good friends, laughter and tears - these things make up the ordinary life of Madoka Kaname, a 14-year-old student living in Mitakihara City. One night, Madoka dreams of a mysterious dark-haired girl struggling against a terrible evil; the next morning she discovers that the girl, Homura Akemi, has transferred into her class. This encounter will lead to an incident which will alter Madoka's destiny forever.

Director: Akiyuki Shinbo
Writer: Gen Urobuchi
Studio: Shaft
Offcial site: http://www.madoka-magica.com/
Sources: ANN / MAL / AniDB

cosmicblizzard said:
What happens when the guy that wrote the most disturbing visual novel of all time decides to do a magical girl series? Despair. Lots and lots of despair. A deconstruction with great atmosphere and some effective tone shifts. Urobuchi is a master at taking a magical, colorful world and filling it with his own demented brand of sadism.
moonspeak said:
This entire show was just one huge emotional rollercoaster for me. Okay yeah yeah while it doesn't necessarily bring anything new to the magical girl genre deconstruction but what this show does do, it does exceedingly well in my opinion. All of the characters introduced are just so memorable and how the show depicts their trials and experiences over the course of the show is really good. The end of the show is honestly one of my favorite endings in an anime ever. So great.

2) Usagi Drop

2usagidropetkq8.png

When he returns home for his grandfather's funeral, thirty-year-old Daikichi is floored to discover that the old man had an illegitimate child with a younger lover. The rest of his family is equally shocked and embarrassed by this surprise development, and not one of them wants anything to do with the silent little girl, Rin Kaga. Sensing her imminent abandonment and in a fit of angry spontaneity, Daikichi decides to take her in himself. As Daikichi raises Rin, he starts to understand the struggles -- and the joys -- of parenting.

Based on the manga by: Yumi Unita
Director: Kanta Kamei
Writer: Taku Kishimoto
Studio: Production I.G
Offcial site: http://www.usagi-drop.tv/

zeroshiki said:
Because when they say anime is crap and all moe is crap, you can point to this and make those bastards feel shame.
trejo said:
Simply put, an absolute joy to watch. Fun and heartwarming. That's all there is to it and it is good.

3) Mawaru Penguindrum

3penguindrumn0jx7.png

Three siblings -- twins Kanba and Shouma, and their ill sister Himari -- live together at the Takakura home. One day, when the siblings are out on a trip to the aquarium, Himari collapses. The doctors state that nothing can be done for her anymore, but then, a miracle occurs, setting into motion the wheels of fate...

Director: Kunihiko Ikuhara
Writers: Kunihiko Ikuhara, Takayo Ikami
Studio: Brain's Base
Offcial site: http://penguindrum.jp/

SciencePilot said:
Kind of a mess of a show, with strange pacing, but it tried really hard to be something unique and meaningful, and for that I give it credit. A thoroughly enjoyable show to follow through all the craziness and twists and stuff. And I love the highly allegorical nature of it, since it's somewhat similar to my own writing.
moonspeak said:
I loved this show even if it did have its flaws and its usage of symbolism was a bit overbearing at times, in my opinion. Overall this was a ridiculous yet very enjoyable show that by the end I just got caught up so much in the characters and their story that the ending just got me good. It was beautiful. Also the music in this show is great.

4) Steins;Gate

4steinsgatez6j1s.jpg

Rintaro Okabe, college student and self-proclaimed mad scientist, inadvertently creates a gadget able to send messages to the past. As he and his friends perform different experiments with the device, an organization that has been doing their own research on time travel begins to track them down, intent on retaining the secret for themselves.

Based on the visual novel from: 5pb., Nitroplus
Directors: Hiroshi Hamasaki, Takuya Sato
Writer: Jukki Hanada
Studio: White Fox
Offcial site: http://steinsgate.tv/index.html

cosmicblizzard said:
An intelligent sci-fi thriller with a completely mind blowing time-travel story and masterfully executed twists. The character development is nearly flawless and the protagonist becomes one of the most sympathetic anime characters I can think of. I was hit by a flurry of different emotions with each passing episode after the somewhat slow beginning. If there was something to convince me to check out the VN, this is definitely it.
Dance In My Blood said:
Story is always the most important thing to me, and Steins;Gate consistently delivered in this area across its entire run. It is ambitious, but also knows its limits, and the scope of the story is well contained into what matters, and most everything touched on feels relevant or important. This can make it easier to trace where the story is going sometimes, but the way things play out is always logical and entertaining, and there are certainly still a number of surprises that the show delivers along the way. Strong characters also help carry the series along, who all play well to both the serious nature of the show and it's occasional lighthearted side.

5) Fate/zero

5fatezero5lkma.jpg

Centuries ago, three families of magic conducted a dark and bloody ritual: the Holy Grail War, a battle to the death between seven magician Masters and their summoned heroic spirit Servants, of which the winner would be granted their greatest wish. Three times the War concluded with no victor, and in the modern era, the Fourth Holy Grail War is set to begin, as seven new Masters and Servants take the stage, each with their own ambitions.

Based on the light novel by: Gen Urobuchi, Nitroplus, Type-Moon
Director: Ei Aoki
Studio: ufotable
Offcial site: http://www.fate-zero.jp/

AdrianWerner said:
Best show of its kind; sets up completely new standards. I liked Fate/Stay Night (the game that is), but Nasu was always better at creating setting than actual plot. Here I got his setting, plus great plot written by somebody obviously more talented at that.

6) Hourou Musuko (Wandering Son)

6wanderingsonmekpk.jpg

When Shuicihi Nitori, a quiet, feminine boy, transfers to a new school, he quickly makes friends with Yoshino Takatsuki, a tall, boyish girl in his class. Though they don't immediately realize it of each other, the two learn they have a shared secret: Shuuichi dreams he could be a girl, while Yoshino wishes she could have been born a boy. Together they decide to take the first steps toward becoming the people they want to be.

Based on the manga by: Takako Shimura
Director: Ei Aoki
Writer: Mari Okada
Studio: AIC Classic
Offcial site: http://www.houroumusuko.jp/

M_Night said:
Very unique direction and pacing in this show. A joy to watch.
Jasconius said:
The anime that most made me want to pick up the manga to get more! (and the manga is great!)

7) Redline

7redlineqekj3.jpg

Redline -- the biggest, deadliest illegal road race in the galaxy. Only held once every five years, everyone wants to stake their claim to fame, including JP, a reckless daredevil oblivious to speed limits with his ultra-customized car. Amongst the other elite rival drivers in the tournament, JP falls for the alluring Sonoshee, but all the while, organized crime and militaristic governments want to leverage the race to their own ends.

Director: Takeshi Koike
Writer: Katsuhito Ishii
Studio: Madhouse
Offcial site: http://red-line.jp/index.html

Dali said:
It's this sort of frenetic, over the top, action packed, incredibly well animated (and CG free) offering that got me interested in anime in the first place and is waaaaay too few and far between.
Dance In My Blood said:
I found it really easy to get into this movie. It's just packed with detail that all feels like a very unique product of passion. Each frame is so packed with stuff that it's one of the few things on this list I felt eager to watch again because I felt like I could walk away having seen a bunch of things I'd missed the first time around. It's pretty much everything I expect an action film to be, and it provides enough backstory to make things interesting without ever really getting caught up or bogged down in the specifics.

8) Hanasaku Iroha

8irohavok2a.jpg

When her irresponsible mother runs off with her boyfriend to dodge his debt collectors, energetic and idealistic 16-year-old Ohana Matsumae is sent to live with her grandmother, who runs a old-fashined hot springs inn in the rural countryside. Forced to adapt to her new environment, and initially at odds with her new friends and co-workers, she decides to use her circumstances as an opportunity to change herself for the better.

Director: Masahiro Ando
Studio: P.A. Works
Offcial site: http://www.hanasakuiroha.jp/

Rurouni_Zel said:
While the tone of the series was somewhat inconsistent, the attention to details with animation and backgrounds really kept me looking forward to each week's new episode. Combined with characters I cared about, especially the charismatic main character Ohana, and this was my overall TV series winner.
zeroshiki said:
On the back of a great opening and finale, this was a great slice of life with some very fun characters.

9) Working'!!

9working8rkeg.jpg

The continuing daily adventures of the eccentric but always entertaining staff at the family restaurant Wagnaria. Part-time worker Souta Takanashi, short and energetic Popura Taneshima, stoic cook Jun Satou, flighty waitress Aoi Yamada, and many others go about their normal lives working at the restaurant... well, as normal as it gets for people like these.

Based on the manga by: Karino Takatsu
Director: Atsushi Ootsuki
Writer: Takao Yoshioka
Studio: A-1 Pictures
Offcial site: http://www.wagnaria.com/

kiryogi said:
It was an extremely charming slice of life and kept up with its hijinks without ever taking itself very seriously. I absolutely adore the Wagnaria crew and hope to see more adventures with them.
Kettch said:
One of the very rare times that a sequel doesn't simply outdo the original, but almost appears to be an entirely different, superior show despite having the same basic content.

10) Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.

10anohanao7jap.jpg

Ten years ago, the six childhood friends who made up the "Super Peace Busters" were inseperable, but a tragic incident caused the group to drift apart. In the present, one of these friends, high school student Jinta Yadomi, has retreated from much of life, living as a shut-in hikikomori. One day he gets a request from Menma, another of the childhood friends, to unite the separated group and help grant her wish.

Director: Tatsuyuki Nagai
Studio: A-1 Pictures
Offcial site: http://www.anohana.jp/

AdrianWerner said:
Stirred my emotions like no anime in a very long time. And it was good to see a show where characters are emo because they actually do have a damn good reason for that.

The full points list:
Code:
1	Puella Magi Madoka Magica	495
2	Usagi Drop	475
3	Mawaru Penguindrum	452
4	Steins;Gate	394
5	Fate/zero	260
6	Hourou Musuko	253
7	Redline	216
8	Hanasaku Iroha	195
9	Working'!!	154
10	Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai.	141
11	Tiger & Bunny	137
12	Nichijou	135
13	The iDOLM@STER	116
14	Ben-To	115
15	Chihayafuru	114
16	Kaiji S2	101
17	Gintama'	87
17	The Borrower Arrietty	87
19	Level E	72
20	Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san	65
21	Yuruyuri	63
22	Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail	62
23	Mirai Nikki	55
24	Persona 4 the Animation	54
25	Shinryaku!? Ika Musume	53
26	Natsume Yuujinchou San	52
27	Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko	50
27	Gundam Unicorn	50
29	Gosick	36
30	Dantalian no Shoka	34
30	Kizuna Ichigeki	34
32	Sket Dance	33
33	Tamayura ~Hitotose~	30
34	Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai	29
35	Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?	28
36	Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon	27
37	HunterxHunter	26
38	Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu!	25
39	Blood-C	24
39	Toriko	24
41	Kimi ni Todoke S2	23
42	Guilty Crown	22
43	Ojisan no Lamp	21
44	Kamisama Dolls	20
44	Shakugan no Shana III (Final)	20
46	IS <Infinite Stratos>	19
46	Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing	19
46	Un-Go	19
49	C3: CubexCursedxCurious	18
49	Fractale	18
51	Ao no Exorcist	16
51	Bakuman. 2	16
51	Ikoku Meiro no Croisee	16
51	Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa	16
51	No. 6	16
56	Sacred Seven	14
57	Dog Days	13
57	Freezing	13
59	C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control	12
60	A-Channel	11
60	The World God Only Knows II	11
62	Carnival Phantasm	10
62	Colorful	10
62	Kamisama no Memo-chou	10
65	Dragon Crisis!	9
65	Manyuu Hikenchou	9
65	Mashiiro-Iro Symphony	9
65	Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle	9
69	Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Ni!	8
69	Maria+Holic Alive	8
69	Sengoku Otome: Momoiro Paradox	8
69	Yumekui Merry	8
73	Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera	7
73	Fireball Charming	7
75	Gundam AGE	6
75	Mardock Scramble: The First Compression	6
77	Hellsing VIII	5
77	Mayo Chiki!	5
79	.hack//Quantum	4
79	Beelzebub	4
79	Hidan no Aria	4
79	Hyouge Mono	4
79	Kimi to Boku	4
79	Nurarihyon no Mago: Sennen Makyou	4
85	Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi	3
85	Nekogami Yaoyorozu	3
85	Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai	3
85	Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2	3
85	Tansu Warashi	3
90	Baby Princess 3D Paradise 0 [Love]	2
90	Deadman Wonderland	2
90	High Score	2
90	Katte ni Kaizou	2
90	Lotte no Omocha!	2
90	Lupin III: Blood Seal - Eternal Mermaid	2
90	Sengoku Basara: The Last Party	2
97	Cardfight!! Vanguard	1
97	Itsuka Tenma no Kuro-Usagi	1
97	Ro-Kyu-Bu!	1

All show descriptions were pieced together from official sources, animenewsnetwork.com, myanimelist.net, anidb.net, and the relevant OTs here on this board, with a little editing. Show impressions have been slightly edited for grammar/syntax.

Instro

Or you could have just voted for it twice. Now we have Ano Hana on the top 10 instead, who do I blame for this?

Soma

oh cool i got quoted twice

Pqsq7.png

Nice results. I need to finish up/catch up on Chihayafuru.

and possibly start Usagi Drop when I get caught up on my animu backlog.

Makoto

Usagi Drop at #2. It's not #1 but it's good enough to help me believe in the good taste of the voters.

I'm just starting Madoka so it's nice to know that apparently it's going to be great.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Now we have Ano Hana on the top 10 instead, who do I blame for this?
Popular things are popular. Funnily enough it probably wouldn't have made the list if the deadline ended when it was originally supposed to.

I should probably go watch Ojisan no Lamp.

Faithless

Even the first half of Chihaya is better than five finished shows on this list. I'm disappointed, everyone. It better be #1 next year to make up for this.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Even the first half of Chihaya is better than five finished shows on this list. I'm disappointed, everyone. It better be #1 next year to make up for this.
We just have to accept that Ben-to is a better show than Chihayafuru.
I didn't vote for Chihayafuru because I feel weird comparing it to completed works.

Wow Godoka for number 1? Its only had three good episodes.

None of the series I voted for made the top 10 or even 20 I think.

Still finishing Stein's;Gate though quotes are definitely on point.

zeroshiki

All things considered I'm kinda happy that Usagi Drop made it 2nd. Its one of those show that can be easily overlooked so it's nice that AnimeGAF has taken the time to notice it.

I would have preferred Usagi Drop's visuals if they had done the whole thing in the cool watercolor pre-OP style, but as it is I like Wandering Son's visual style better. Its mellow beauty perfectly fits the narrative's tone.

Branduil

I would have preferred Usagi Drop's visuals if they had done the whole thing in the cool watercolor pre-OP style, but as it is I like Wandering Son's visual style better. Its mellow beauty perfectly fits the narrative's tone.

I would have liked that too, but I guess it must have been expensive.

BTW, if you guys want more info on Usagi Drop and Hanasaku Iroha and where you can watch them, you can check out my OTs for the shows:

Usagi Drop

Hanasaku Iroha

Branduil

Puella Magi Madoka Magica beat Usagi Drop? For fucking shame, I say!

Well, Usagi Drop was never going to get #1. I consider it getting to second place a huge victory in of itself, just because Madoka and Penguindrum were huge favorites to grab the top two spots before voting began.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So much better than last year's list.

Know what hurts about last year's list. I forgot to vote. If I did vote, this wouldn't of happened.

8 Ore no Im&#333;to ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai 79
9 Shiki (novel series) 78
10 Katanagatari 73

I like most of the list and have no problem with it. I'd recommend the top 8 anytime.

LordCanti

I'm not thrilled with #1, but the rest of the list seems pretty solid. The current season is pretty bleak, so it's nice to have a fairly concise list of the shows that are worth watching (that I may have missed, like Ano hi mita).

Penguindrum is still my #1 :p even if some episodes got low budgeted into oblivion

I'm not thrilled with #1, but the rest of the list seems pretty solid. The current season is pretty bleak, so it's nice to have a fairly concise list of the shows that are worth watching (that I may have missed, like Ano hi mita).

You may like it - obviously a lot of people do - but for me Ano Hana was the weakest show out of the 20 or so I finished last year and I would not recommend it due to its clumsy melodrama and poor narrative structure. I'm watching 9 currently airing shows that are better than it.

I don't think I will ever get to vote for these sorts of things, since I tend to wait for Blu-ray releases. :x The only show I could have voted for by default was Madoka, for better or worse.

LordCanti

You may like it - obviously a lot of people do - but for me Ano Hana was the weakest show out of the 20 or so I finished last year and I would not recommend it due to its clumsy melodrama and poor narrative structure. I'm watching 9 currently airing shows that are better than it.

I'll give it a chance. I should pay closer attention to the other thread, because I can't find a single anime on this seasons list that seems like something I'd enjoy. I try not to judge a book by its cover, but man...that list does not engender confidence. If you had to pick one or two from this season, which would you go with?

Frosteey

Neo Member
Persona 4 probably jumps to top 10 if they just started at episode 13. And, well, also made it look better.

I'm maybe a little bit motivated to jump Working up the backlog priority list now.

Initially I thought the year was very strong, with an all time favorite, several shows I really really enjoyed, and several more I didn't get to which I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy. But Guilty Crown clawing its way up to #42 makes me highly suspicious of that assessment.

Dynedom

Iroha above Ano Hana as it should be! The best team won.

Don't see anything wrong with the list. Haven't seen Stein's or Madoka and I guess I should get on that. Same for Wandering Son.

edit: Ben-To was robbed!

I remember when I use to watch 3 to 4 good new anime shows each season less than 2 years ago. Anime like Eden of the East, Durarara!!, Darker than Black, etc. Now, there is really nothing new worth watching. It is sad to see how far anime has fallen so quickly.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I remember when I use to watch 3 to 4 good new anime shows each season less than 2 years ago. Anime like Eden of the East, Durarara!!, Darker than Black, etc. Now, there is really nothing new worth watching. It is sad to see how far anime has fallen so quickly.
Sure there is, you're just not looking right.

Dresden

Lol, it'd be one thing if you cited some real classics, but there are shows of that caliber or better coming out right now.

There are 9 good shows/movie right in the OP worth watching. And some other good ones that didn't quite make the cut. What more do you want?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
2011 was probably the best year for anime since 2007. Tons of great stuff got aired this year.

survivor

Banned

I liked all the shows you listed and all, but they are really not the high quality stuff you should be putting as standards.

Have you given Madoka, Steins;Gate or even something like Tiger and Bunny a watch? They seem to mesh well with what you listed.

I'll give it a chance. I should pay closer attention to the other thread, because I can't find a single anime on this seasons list that seems like something I'd enjoy. I try not to judge a book by its cover, but man...that list does not engender confidence. If you had to pick one or two from this season, which would you go with?

Natsume's Book of Friends Season 4 - The continuing adventures of Takashi Natsume, a teenage boy who can see youkai, who is on a quest to return the names of youkai that his grandmother locked up in the Book of Friends. Relaxing, heartwarming, humorous, and at its best profoundly moving. The last season (which I have not seen) was generally considered to be a disappointment, but this season has been good so far with the latest episode very good.

Lagrange - The Flower of Rin-ne - The surprise of the season, attractive visual design and solid direction make this Nissan-sponsored mecha show a blast to watch. The action is great, the protagonist's energy and straightforward handling of the crazy situation she's thrown is amusing, and the OP is one of my favorites. It's silly, but so fun.

I'd also recommend Daily Lives of High School Boys if you like Gintama (the humor of that show in a lower-key setting) and Nisemonogatari if you like Bakemonogatari (got off to a slow start but the latest episode shows promise). You should already be watching Chihayafuru of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom