• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bahrain Grand Prix - The Thread for Political Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucius86

Banned
So, I think we need a separate thread to distinguish between the Formula 1 |OT| and the issues with the next Formula 1 Grand Prix.

There has been quite a lot of heated discussions flying around on whether the Grand Prix should be going ahead after the unrest that is still ongoing in the country of Bahrain. This thread is purely for these discussions - not for the Formula 1 racing itself.

Formula 1 will be under an even bigger spot-light as the racing calendar visits a country that still appears to have security concerns leading up to this weekend. Last year's Grand Prix at Bahrain was cancelled for the exact same reasons. But this year it was deemed safe enough to race.

So that the initial post is as unbiased as I can make it, here are some links already posted on the current situation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17767985 - Force India near a fire bomb attack
https://twitter.com/#!/f1elvis - Twitter feed of an ex-Mclaren mechanic.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17761734 - Jensen Button trusts the FIA with their decision to race
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17761698 - Recent clashes in Bahrain ahead of the GP.

bahrain_f1_protests.jpg

bahrain-f1-racing%2017.04.12.JPG

Go.

I have the most horrible feeling that someone's going to die this weekend.

I have nothing but contempt for Ecclestone and his cronies.

amar212

I find this Twitter channel especially relevant for this discussion.

#RaceofDisgrace

Opinion of local people can be observed wit proper context.

Shaneus

I'm definitely concerned. The people who are for going ahead don't seem to get *why* people are worried about what could potentially happen this weekend. I think Bernie's showing disrespect for local issues as well as the people who earn him his money... the drivers, the teams, the fans.

I'll still watch the race and everything leading up to it this weekend, but it would purely be for the grand prix circus and not (as it frequently is) for the environment it's held in.

Lucius86

Banned
So I'm going to wade in and say there is no way this GP should be on. The images in my first post are quite chilling - it doesn't matter what they are protesting against, the fact is the safety of the F1 supporters, the personnel and the track staff cannot be guaranteed.

This race is the best chance the protesters have for getting into the global viewpoint. So of course they are going to be using it as a pedestal for their cause.

I just hope nothing tragic happens this weekend that results in harm/death of any person, be it a protester, F1-related person.... but I am not so sure.

‘No-one in F1 will be hurt’ – Human Rights leader

However, Nabeel Rajab insists that the protests are not a personal attack on F1.

“Nobody will harm anybody, no-one in a Formula 1 team, nobody,” he is quoted as saying by BBC News. “They are angry at the sport but it's not personal, it's about politics. We're protesting to show anger at Formula 1 for conducting the race here.

“People see Formula 1 as representing these dictators and it is not good, not even for Formula 1. The ruling regime should be punished and not rewarded with Formula 1.”

Both yesterday and this morning, GPUpdate.net has been in telephone contact with drivers and numerous team workers; some chose not to comment, but those who did share their versions of events have expressed nothing out of the ordinary on their journeys between the airport, hotels and the Sakhir circuit. The only notable observations are a greater police presence on roadsides and at the track.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/277451/no-one-in-f1-will-be-hurt-human-rights-leader/

Lets hope he's right.

Because you think that's a good way to get your message across? If the protesters want to be taken seriously, they would be wise not to attack any member of the F1 community.

In fact, I'd say anybody who does something like that is no longer a protester – they then become a terrorist.
No shit... but I'm just talking about some nutter wanting to get maximum attention, for better or worse.

F1 provides a stage for the protesters and will provide a potentially volatile environment. That isn't good for the sport and it may not be good for the protesters come this weekend. F1 giving Bahrain a race shows support for a regime that has committed human rights violations over the past several months. That also isn't good for the sport.

F1 shouldn't be happening this weekend.

I recall last year,mew had a trip to italy. People were telling us how crazy we were with all the protests and general uprisings in Europe.

We chose to ignore it, went anyway. 5 days in Florence, sienna and neighboring areas and it couldn't have been more pleasant. I would not be the least bit shocked to see Bahrain is similar.

People/media love to perpetuate chaos.

Xun

I recall last year,mew had a trip to italy. People were telling us how crazy we were with all the protests and general uprisings in Europe.

We chose to ignore it, went anyway. 5 days in Florence, sienna and neighboring areas and it couldn't have been more pleasant. I would not be the least bit shocked to see Bahrain is similar.

You didn't go anywhere crazy.

Trust me Bahrain will be different.

NHale

Italy is not Greece btw (and even Greece is nothing compared to the Arab Spring). This is like saying Bahrain is safe because you didn't see any protests in Abu Dhabi.

And if anything the media is being very "shy" in the Bahrain coverage unlike what they did with the media coverage of Egypt, Libya and Syria. I wonder why...

That you think a week relaxing in Florence is comparable to:
a) The protests in Greece and Britain at the time
b) The human right violations and descent into near civil war in Bahrain...
then I simply do not know what to tell you.

The slightest bit of research could have told you that Florence was safe, just as the slightest bit of research could have told you that Bahrain isn't.

The slightest bit of research could have told you that Florence was safe, just as the slightest bit of research could have told you that Bahrain isn't.

We were in England for a week and a Belgium for a few days also.

The year before we were in London for the student protests. That was fun!

Randdalf

They weren't protests in Britain though, at least not after the first day, it was just anarchy for the sake of anarchy.

From the F1 thread.

Hey guys. This is not Bahrain that I knew and loved

Airport was very smooth, but as soon as you leave the airport island, Moharak, you get into a highway that takes you to where the Pearl Roundabout was (the heart of the revolution). on both sides of the highway you see police presence, which I've never seen in any of my many trips to Bahrain. I came to F1 here on 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2010. I really enjoy coming here, people are nice, my friend always gets us free tickets and I get to stay at his place for free, very generous people, the nicest in the world.

I asked him to drive us to the worst place possible. He said its the time to do it as people are still at work and schools and I'll be able to see some of the things, but he won't take me again during the weekend. But he promised alot of action at night, especially tear-gas in his area. He also promised to take me on the bodaya highway several time maybe we get lucky and come across a tyre burning blockade, according to him it became a very normal daily thing.

We're staying in a compound in Barbar. It's a beautiful area and I love it, shame what's happening.

Ok time to recharge my macbook. catch you guys later, will send some pics if I come across anything interesting (via twitter) and of course will send you pics form the circuit tomorrow :)

Cheers

NHale

For no good reason at all, I'm convinced the race will pass without incident.

Despite not agreeing with the decision to race there, I really hope this happens. I can only imagine what would happen if someone enters the track and try to become a martyr for their cause by trying to get hit by a F1 car. And it's not impossible that some protestor managed to become a steward and do it...

If something tragic like that happens it would not only be on every headline around the world (giving them the platform they want) but would kill Formula 1 as we know because sponsors would be forced to quit their support immediately. I'm shocked that Bernie and Todt are willing to take this risk but I guess the Bahrain money speaks louder.

clemenx

Banned
I'm pretty sure nothing will happen in the race but it's still very, very stupid to race there.

The sad part is that this isn't that surprising. That's Bernie Ecclestone for you, ugh.

Adamm

Despite not agreeing with the decision to race there, I really hope this happens. The worst scenario is someone entering the track and try to become a martyr for their cause by trying to get hit by a F1 car.

If something tragic like that would not only be on every headline around the world (giving them the platform they want) but would kill Formula 1 as we know because sponsors would be forced to quit their support immediately.
Although it would look really bad for the sport, I really cannot see that killing F1. Would the team sponsors really leave if that happened?

I could see sponsorship for the Bahrain GP stopping, but for individual teams? I dont think so

F1: Bahrain F1 chief plays down Force India incident

Apr.19 (GMM) Bahrain's grand prix chief on Thursday played down the incident that caused a member of the Force India team to pull out of the event.

The team member was granted permission by Force India chiefs to head back to the UK, after a rented van carrying his colleagues was caught up in a Molotov cocktail attack on the return trip from the circuit late on Wednesday.

"They weren't targeted. They just happened to be there," said the Sakhir circuit's chairman Zayed R Alzayani, according to the BBC.

"It could happen in any place in the world really, getting caught up in a riot or a fight or anything."

He admitted there will "probably" be more incidents before the weekend is out.

"I don't think they will be within the track or close to the track, and I think they will be handled in the right way."

As for his advice to race-goers, Alzayani insisted: "Don't be too worried and too distracted not to enjoy the weekend."

In a provided media statement on Thursday, the Bahrain International Circuit said Force India was caught up in an "isolated incident".

Once again

I1q1h.jpg

Jibbed

They can't. The Concorde Agreement demands that every team has to be present in every F1 race.

This stupid decision is entirely on Bernie's and FIA's shoulders.

I'm pretty sure that if the teams are being petrol-bombed, that's a good enough excuse to give the Concorde Agreement the finger.

NHale

Although it would look really bad for the sport, I really cannot see that killing F1. Would the team sponsors really leave if that happened?

I could see sponsorship for the Bahrain GP stopping, but for individual teams? I dont think so

If something bad happens, everyone on the news would start saying it was a terrible decision to have a race there and clearly F1 doesn't care about human rights etc.

Nobody wants their brand associated with "not caring" about human rights and the killings that happens in Bahrain and add that to the public and media pressure and it would result in a massive departure of sponsors, especially when shareholders are already questioning if F1 gives them a good ROI.

I'm pretty sure that if the teams are being petrol-bombed, that's a good enough excuse to give the Concorde Agreement the finger.

Good excuses don't work with Bernie. If they want to continue in Formula 1 they have to do what FIA and Bernie tells them to do.

The only team that could quit and release a shitstorm on this is Ferrari. Had they shown displeasure about going to Bahrain, I'm sure the decision would be totally different. But they will never do it because they get lots of money from Kindgom of Bahrain friends...

its ok guys ppl are having fun its a normal life. for those who are not living in the villages

i had a blast as usual, its a bit different than the years i cam e here before but its still a fnu place to be

tomorrow ill go to the circuit then to george benos gig. its gona be fun

it not asf bad as the media made it look and i actually went to the hardcore shit areas its not as bad as lebanon

oipic

For no good reason at all, I'm convinced the race will pass without incident.

Likewise, but I still find myself conflicted over this whole thing.

I'd like to think sport can rise above political turmoil, and exist independently of it, but I also can't help but feel that it's reckless to expose F1 to the risk of anything untoward. Just the fact that there is an increased risk at all, indicates to me that perhaps the F1 circus has no place being there at the moment.

Let's hope like heck that the weekend is incident-free, aside from the racing action.

TwiztidElf

"We're going to have a Bahrain GP come hell or highwater!"
"Australia we're threatening to take your GP off you because it's a bad timezone for Europe..."
/smh

dalin80

Banned
Expecting a protester to run on track with a banner and that's about it, odds are though that the luck goods will decide to do this just after mclaren have pitted.

Mush

I'd love to know if F1's sponsorship partners (LG, DHL etc) are going to be very happy having their names attached to this event. Who has the naming rights? Gulf Oil?

Adamm

Several F1 Journalists have not been allowed into Bahrain

back in Dubai after #Bahrain refused #FT entry at airport. shame to have to cover this vital#F1 weekend at a distance.

Journalists from several other news organisations have not been granted visas, including Stuart Ramsay (@ramsaysky), chief correspondent of Sky News, a photographer for Agence France Presse, two Dubai-based writers for the Associated Press, and Andrew Hammond from Reuters who is also based in Dubai.

It seems the Bahraini authorities are trying to exclude journalists who they suspect will be more interested in covering the political situation than the grand prix.

Wazzim

Banned
Sigh, the track isn't that good anyway.

The government of Bahrain is being stupid, just like those of the other countries. Reforms are beneficial for the leadership in the long run.

NHale

There was an incident yesterday with some Sauber members... Force India withdraws from FP2 due to safety concerns and now the British politicians are getting vocal about this (I can only imagine if something bad happens...):

Leading British politicians have put more pressure on the Bahrain Grand Prix by adding to calls for the race to be cancelled.

Opposition leader Ed Miliband of the Labour party also believes Prime Minister David Cameron should get involved in the issue.

"Given the human rights issues in Bahrain, I don't think the grand prix should go ahead," Miliband was quoted as saying by the Press Association. "I do not think the government should remain silent on this."

Miliband is one of several leading politicians to speak out against the race since the F1 paddock arrived earlier this week.

Shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper told BBC's Question Time that she didn't think British drivers should be in Bahrain, while Respect MP George Galloway and Conservative former shadow home secretary David Davis have also criticised the decision to race this weekend.

So far the only comment from the government has come via a spokeswoman for Prime Minister David Cameron.

"It is not for us to dictate what sporting events happen in other countries," said the spokeswoman.

Bernie's reaction as expected is disgusting...

Ecclestone on Bahrain drama: "What we really need is an earthquake or something like that, so you can write about that now...

Wishing an earthquake so he could avoid the backlash. If you didn't want the backlash maybe you should have canceled the GP...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom