• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

neoGAF, a plea for help: please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Update: EuroGAFers... paypal has been linked to the giveforward account. If you guys have difficulty donating through the GiveForward website in general even with PayPal, just PM me and I'll get you the paypal info directly.

Hey neoGAF,

Some of you may be aware, since I've mentioned it around a few times, that my mom is severely ill. She's always been sick (she has everything from rheumatoid arthritis to lupus to Sjögren's syndrome), but because of the fortitude she has, she's fought it with a smile, and continued to be the loving and devoted mother and matriarch that got us all through the difficult times in our lives.

Now she is going through one final obstacle in her life, for which there is no likely going back. She has been diagnosed with some severe form of Vasculitis, which may be Wegener's Granulomatosis or another severe form, but the point is that as a result of this, her kidneys failed in September 2011.

Since then, it has been a fight with her medical insurance to try to cover the cost of the things she requires for her illness, including the dialysis. As her medical bills escalated, I've gone into my savings until I've gone broke. My father has gone into his until he has gone broke: and he's working 16 hour days, six days a week. And remember my mom has health care. This is what health care in this country looks like even when you have health care! It's not for lack of work ethic.

We're drowning. We have nothing left to give, and the medical expenses keep on piling on.

Right now my mom is on the brutal three-times-per-week dialysis, which when combined with the other illnesses my mom already has, essentially leaves her a walking, depressed, barely-functioning zombie when she comes off. She basically is dead to the world every day, and it's killing her. Gone is her smile and that fortitude of will that has anchored this family.

She was told she was the "perfect candidate" for dialysis @ home, which is a much gentler type of dialysis that allows her family to train with nurses to be able to perform 2-3 hour sessions of dialysis 5 times per week, in the comfort of your own home. This would allow her to dramatically lessen her fatigue, allow her to function somewhat in the last days of her life and basically have some quality of life. It's all she wants, and I can't think of anyone who deserves it more.

So they said she could go on it, but three days into the dialysis @ home training her health insurance denied her coverage for this type. My mom has sunk ever deeper into depression, and it's killing me. I have to do something. They're still fighting to get covered, but even if in the end eventually she gets covered, the deductibles and medical expenses keep adding up, and there's no way we can cover it anymore without going into financial ruin for everyone in the family. We're already teetering on the edge.

As a result, I've decided to start a fundraiser to get a running start on these medical expenses. I have no other avenues left to me. I love this community and am starting to get the word out about the fundraiser in my own real life community starting today as well, and so the kindness of strangers and online friends and real life friends are my lifeline to try to help my mom out one last time. My mother has always been the most selfless and well meaning individual I've known, and as a son I feel desperate to try to make her happy again.

MomDialysis02.jpg
MomDialysis.jpg

I have a website up to donate funds to, through GIVEFORWARD. I think this is a good place to get started for the moment:

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP MY MOM WITH A DONATION PLEASE VISIT:

DONATION WEBSITE: http://www.giveforward.com/peaceofmindformom
REDDIT LINK: http://www.reddit.com/r/Assistance/comments/skaio/help_give_my_mom_some_peace_of_mind_out_of/

If you want to send a check or wish to choose an alternate method of payment, PM me or send me an e-mail ... @ AminathTheThird@yahoo.com. All checks will be made out to Betty Goldberg.

Thank you so much for any help! Remember that if you cannot help financially, another way you can help the effort is by posting the link to your facebook friends. This is just as invaluable a tool as directly donating, and would be greatly appreciated.

Just donated. So sorry to hear about this man, she sounds like a great and strong lady. Best of luck to you. Gonna post on Facebook too.

Hoo-doo

Banned
What a sad story, Amir0x. I honestly hope this works out for you guys.

I currently don't have the means to pitch in seeing as I don't own a credit card and barely have money to pay rent myself, but I will try and spread the word. Have you maybe thought of setting up a PayPal account?

Amir0x

Banned
Brian Griffin said:
Just donated. So sorry to hear about this man, she sounds like a great and strong lady. Best of luck to you. Gonna post on Facebook too.

Thank you so much! You just got the ball rolling on the internet side, so you're the honorary banner holder! We've raised about $300 since we started this yesterday offline, so this is a really great start toward our goal. Again, cannot thank everyone enough for this. My mom sends her gratitude as well.

What a sad story, Amir0x. I honestly hope this works out for you guys.

I currently don't have the means to pitch in seeing as I don't own a credit card and barely have money to pay rent myself, but I will try and spread the word. Have you maybe thought of setting up a PayPal account?

We're in the process of doing that. My mom has never had a PayPal account before so she's going to set it up sometime this weekend.

Praying for her. Tell her to hang in there and give her a hug for GAF.

Undoubtedly a tough thread to make. Fortunately, donating is decidedly easier.

noah111

Still Alive
This genuinely saddened me, I feel bad I can't personally donate. If I could I would, hopefully GAF can pull through for you and your mom and she gets better. Best wishes bro.

Amir0x

Banned
wow we're already at $715 toward my goal! You guys!

gofreak, pyros, Azrim, Benjamin, brian, everyone that just updated before I could post this.... seriously guys, I cannot tell you how much this means to me. Whether you send 50 cents or 100 dollars, every penny we raise is going to help ease the stress on her and my father. You guys are amazing.

I'll give you guys running updates about what we've raised offline and combine it with our online totals, as well as any updates regarding the fight to get her covered for dialysis @ home. I really... this means the world to me.

So offline money is $300 + $715 = $915

ced

Done, and the only reason I'm not remaining anonymous here about it is so I can rant for a minute.

It makes me so sick to my stomach to hear about things like this, there is absolutely no reason anyone should be burdened by medical bills, ever.

wow we're already at $315 toward my goal.

gofreak, pyros, Azrim, Benjamin, brian, everyone... seriously guys, I cannot tell you how much this means to me. Whether you send 50 cents or 100 dollars, every penny we raise is going to help ease the stress on her and my father. You guys are amazing.

I'll give you guys running updates about what we've raised offline and combine it with our online totals, as well as any updates regarding the fight to get her covered for dialysis @ home. I really... this means the world to me.

cheers.

I sadly cannot help, but maybe you can try Reddit to get the word out? That seems like a place that is very responsive to this type of story.

Your mother and family will be in my prayers. After rent/utilities I'll donate some cash.

We as a community should keep this bumped up on the first page so lurkers can also help.

Az

Man, I just love that we can argue all day when it comes to various subjects, get banned, come back, and still at the end of the day come together to help a fellow GAFfer out. Cheers.

daw840

I hope the best for you and your family. I don't have any monetary amount to give as I just had a daughter, but I will definitely spread the word.

I'd really like to give something, but right now I'm broke. Might be able to give something by the end of next week, after all the bills are paid.

Amir0x

Banned
I hope the best for you and your family. I don't have any monetary amount to give as I just had a daughter, but I will definitely spread the word.

Congratulations on the daughter! Girls are daddy's children too, so you've got it made. She's gonna stick to you like glue :D

I only gave $5. Some people are hard on money and can't give a lot. Together, though, it can go a LONG way.

Yup, every penny counts. And it's not only about finances, because posting links on facebook are just as helpful. Facebook is the #1 people raise money on GiveForward, so monetary donations are only part of the fight. I called my mom and she is like crying, she's going to make a video personally thanking everybody now. So that'll be posted soon.

I sadly cannot help, but maybe you can try Reddit to get the word out? That seems like a place that is very responsive to this type of story.

Never thought about Reddit! Good idea! Will try.

Man, I just love that we can argue all day when it comes to various subjects, get banned, come back, and still at the end of the day come together to help a fellow GAFfer out. Cheers.

Yeah, I always love this community. It's got a sense of place that unites us through adversity I think

Pachterballs said:
If you post some details so I can verify the details of your story then i'd be happy to chip in.

Well we're getting her doctor to write a letter confirming her diagnosis, but is there anything else you'd like to see?

Biff

Well we're getting her doctor to write a letter confirming her diagnosis, but is there anything else you'd like to see?

I don't mean to be a prick either, I know this is a horrible time but I as well want to make sure the amount you are asking for is legit.

Basically, I just want some proof that $15k is a reasonable number for the financial concerns of this type of care over the few months you are asking for. I live in Canada so I'm not privvy to U.S. health care fees.

Again, I'm sorry for asking. My gut tells me this is honest -- my brain just wants me to make sure that the health care is not $5k and $10k is for "general" expenses, i.e. Kony 2012 type of nonsense.

Thanks and good luck.

rabhw

Done, sorry I couldn't do more. I hope everything works out as best as it possibly can for her and your family.

I don't mean to be a prick either, I know this is a horrible time but I as well want to make sure the amount you are asking for is legit.

Basically, I just want some proof that $15k is a reasonable number for the financial concerns of this type of care over the few months you are asking for. I live in Canada so I'm not privvy to U.S. health care fees.

Again, I'm sorry for asking. My gut tells me this is honest -- my brain just wants me to make sure that the health care is not $5k and $10k is for "general" expenses, i.e. Kony 2012 type of nonsense.

Thanks and good luck.

I don't know the situation fully but I can say if insurance really isn't covering things, $15k isn't even going to be a drop in the bucket compared to the total cost. Health care costs in the US are a complete and total joke. This is the land of $250 tylenol.

Bentendo

Thanks and good luck.

Oh you have no idea how expensive things can get here. $15k for this type of thing is actually substantially lower than I thought it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom